Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 08:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times

Advertisements

I don't understand... why any debate on density is needed. NO ONE has said ANY OTHER US CITY BEATS NYC. What it comes down to is AESTHETICS, PREFERENCES in living in... and if statistics matter in these preferences?

I NEVER SAW A NORTH AMERICAN CITY WIN AGAINST NYC in any poll forum. Though I understand this thread is NOT ABOUT WHICH CITY WINS SOMETHING. But if it was in technical and statistical aspects? Of course NYC would win....

BUT I HAVE SEEN PREFERENCES TO CHICAGO AND WHY.... weather is not really one though LOL
Because of the ICONIC status of NYC. All the Decades it has been A ICONIC AMERICASN CITY in the SPOTLIGHT. Movies, TV. Ect. On one hand it still is....

But it has advanced to the WORLDS CITY. To me Chicago has claimed.... Rightfully so. The title of QUINTESSENTIAL-AMERICAN CITY NOW. GOOD AND BAD.

Most are FAR MORE FAMILIAR in GOOD TO GREAT EXPECTSTIONS of NYC....Over Chicago, even in the Midwest. On the other hand.... Chicago has FAR MORE NEGATIVE Stereotypes over any Iconic expectations to lure them to visit. Chicago ALWAYS HAD NEGATIVES FAR AHEAD OF POSITIVES.

But visitors/Tourist do have EXPECTATIONS SURPASSED... OVER NOT.

More know Chicago's Skyline today. Some recent movies portrayed it. TV shows have it mentioned far more and toke place there.... even filmed. Like the 3 NBC Chicago TV shows. But even they don't give Chicago the GOOD PR. It would love.... That a TV show like "Grey Anatomy" gives Seattle just by its intro does....

I wish NBC gave Chicago's Skyline such a intro to its 3 shows filmed there.

I also give NBC a thumbs up for building a BRAND NEW NBC SKYSCRAPER THERE built in the 90s. Patterned off of Rockefeller Center NYC. One of my favorite ones in Chicago. Art-Deco in design.

But in reality... NYC WINS IN..
  • STREET TRAFFIC
  • AMOUNT OR RETAIL STREET LEVEL
  • OF COURSE DENITY IN MANHATTAN AND BOROUGHS
  • NUMBER OF ART DECO CLASSIC BUILDINGD
  • AMOUNT OF SKYSCRAPERS OF OFFICE TO RESIDENTIAL
But in Skyline... some split will happen in preferences and on other aspects.

I know I'm seen as a insignificant poster and boaster for Chicago. But it deserves defense against these who lessen its worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
I left out pictures in my last post of CHICAGO'S MANHATTANIZATION....

Old 11-20-2015, 10:19 PM

9,899 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Loop during rush hour feels the exact same as anywhere in Manhattan and I have been to Manhattan over 100 times. Mich Ave and 5th Ave feel the same, but Mich ave much prettier.

That said, NYC is 3 times larger so the vast amount of areas in Manhattan and surrounding boroughs are vastly more crowded. There is nothing in regards to crowded activity like Time Square, while extremely cheesy, it is the most iconic and packed place in NYC that is lit up.

Also, Chicago's loop, just like NYC financial district is a ghost town after 7 or so.

Hope that helps!
Being in the Chicago loop doesn't feel as busy as being in Manhattan at all

Old 11-22-2015, 11:31 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Being in the Chicago loop doesn't feel as busy as being in Manhattan at all
Shots fired!

Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 787 times
I have been to both although I am a resident of NYC ...New York is busier and has a lot more foot traffic as well as motor vehicle( cars , buses , bikes) Chicago is nice but the is no comparison to New York..More cultural ,more restaurants things to do ..on the beach ..just a vast city on the scale ok PARIS...London..Tokyo ..Hong Kong..and ROME ...love Chicago ..but New York represent the USA bets out D.C also

Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Shots fired!
Chicago is more on the scale of Toronto, which isn't a bad thing...it's just not NYC.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:25 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Chicago is inferior to New York at every level, especially street.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Strong statement to make (though I generally agree). I'm pretty sure steeps will swoop in at any minute, though, and argue Chicago's COL, alleys and lakefront beaches lol

Old 11-24-2015, 07:14 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
You make it easy to soooo not take you seriously.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:26 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Strong statement to make (though I generally agree). I'm pretty sure steeps will swoop in at any minute, though, and argue Chicago's COL, alleys and lakefront beaches lol
Rowhouses.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City