Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:08 AM

99 posts, read 176,421 times

Advertisements

Why is Houston often Overlooked as a Leader in Growth and Stability? Its Overall Economy is doing far better(by a large margin) than many other Economies. Is Houston the Model City that Most Cities need to follow?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:36 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,071,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalim123 View Post
Why is Houston often Overlooked as a Leader in Growth and Stability? Its Overall Economy is doing far better(by a large margin) than many other Economies. Is Houston the Model City that Most Cities need to follow?
The next 1 to 2 years will likely provide the answer. After the oil bust of the 1980s Houston had a stagnant economy and a population loss. Since then, Houston has tried to become more diversified. The level of dependency on the oil industry is still subject to debate, and the current downturn effects will show whether or not Houston was successful, or whether it is still basically an industry town.

In addition, Houston's geographical location on the Gulf and the Port of Houston is not something that can be copied by other cities.

Economic and tax policies alone cannot make a successful city, otherwise Texas wouldn't also have some of the poorest as well as the richest cities in the US.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
I don't think Houston is overlooked.
It doesn't get much respect, but it certainly is not overlooked.

For example, it is economically on a level with DC and near Chicago, but people often lump it with Atlanta.

To me based on the energy industry, the strength of its port and it's strategic location it is more important than its neighbor to the north, but many people often rank it on the same level or even lower.

If Houston comes out of the oil bust relatively unscathed, then it will undoubtedly deserve to be in that level with Chicago, the Bay and Boston, and above DFW, Philly, which themselves are above ATL, Miami and Seattle.

Seattle is another underestimated one. Even though it is smaller than ATL and Miami it is just as powerful

Old 08-23-2015, 12:50 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Because Houston is too different and not in a way that is currently accepted by the Zeitgeist.

Keep in mind that Houston is not a true US city. It once belonged to and even served as the capital of the Republic of Texas, which was an independent nation. Hell, I'd imagine that, for the average American, Houston might as well be a foreign city.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:16 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Houston is overlooked? In what capacity?

Old 08-23-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Because Houston is too different and not in a way that is currently accepted by the Zeitgeist.

Keep in mind that Houston is not a true US city. It once belonged to and even served as the capital of the Republic of Texas, which was an independent nation. Hell, I'd imagine that, for the average American, Houston might as well be a foreign city.
Texas was not a nation long enough to have any identity. Houston was founded by Americans and has always been American. Nothing foreign about Houston. Heck Miami, New Orleans, even Seattle seem more foreign than Houston.

It's just that Houston is the biggest Young city and developed in a completely different era. It's predecessors (Philadelphia, Boston, New York, San Francisco, Chicago,) all were huge a century before. Only Los Angeles boomed during the same period

Old 08-23-2015, 01:40 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Houston thread?

Old 08-23-2015, 01:47 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Texas was not a nation long enough to have any identity. Houston was founded by Americans and has always been American. Nothing foreign about Houston. Heck Miami, New Orleans, even Seattle seem more foreign than Houston.
Well, what you're saying here is merely an opinion that is different from my own, so I won't bother arguing it but will say that I thoroughly disagree.

Quote:
It's just that Houston is the biggest Young city and developed in a completely different era. It's predecessors (Philadelphia, Boston, New York, San Francisco, Chicago,) all were huge a century before. Only Los Angeles boomed during the same period
Both Miami and Dallas-Fort Worth are younger and larger metropolitan areas than Houston, yet they are both more popular, so that couldn't be the reason.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
I'm glad Houston is overlooked from a tourist perspective (not that it would have a huge tourist draw). I grew up in LA and lived in DC and Chicago and I hated having all the tourists around. Houston gets a lot of international visitors, but it's all business.

Economically, Houston is anything but overlooked despite the fact it's going through a rough patch now.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Both Miami and Dallas-Fort Worth are younger and larger metropolitan areas than Houston, yet they are both more popular, so that couldn't be the reason.
I think you are highly incorrect. You might want to check that info again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City