Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 02:56 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
OP didn't include DFW. I can see why he didn't include Houston. I wouldn't call it a "new" south metro. But DFW metro on the other hand is new. FW had 300k ppl less than 20 years ago, its close to 1M now.

And no, Nashville, DFW, and Raleigh aren't "widely regarded" which is why I added them. How am I suppose to read OP's mind to know what "etc" means to him. Widely regarded south metros to me for someone who includes TX and FL in their definition of South are ATL,MIA,HOU. He already included one of those three. Nashville, DFW, Raleigh are new as in last 20 years, tremendous growth. I only include DFW because FW is now a city that can stand on it's own and compete. It's no longer looked at as a suburb of Dallas. You are obsessed with refuting every opinion I have without giving convincing reasons to change my opinion. The only one was GT being prestigious which I discovered after a little research of my own. I owned up to that mistake, SMU is prestigious, just not as much. It also has a presidential library. How much more prestigious can you get than that. Honest mistake on my part
Just to clarify, FW has never been a suburb of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 03:01 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
OP didn't include DFW. I can see why he didn't include Houston. I wouldn't call it a "new" south metro. But DFW metro on the other hand is new. FW had 300k ppl less than 20 years ago, its close to 1M now.

And no, Nashville, DFW, and Raleigh aren't "widely regarded" which is why I added them. How am I suppose to read OP's mind to know what "etc" means to him. Widely regarded south metros to me for someone who includes TX and FL in their definition of South are ATL,MIA,HOU. He already included one of those three. Nashville, DFW, Raleigh are new as in last 20 years, tremendous growth. I only include DFW because FW is now a city that can stand on it's own and compete. It's no longer looked at as a suburb of Dallas. You are obsessed with refuting every opinion I have without giving convincing reasons to change my opinion. The only one was GT being prestigious which I discovered after a little research of my own. I owned up to that mistake, SMU is prestigious, just not as much. It also has a presidential library. How much more prestigious can you get than that. Honest mistake on my part
Yes DFW, Raleigh, and Nashville are widely regarded as present-day New South metros. They exemplify the current meaning of the term in very significant ways. And DFW is no further behind Atlanta and Houston in terms of booming growth and development. Just some basic research will show this to be the case.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
that poster happiness is close has never been out of his state or probably his own county and seems to live in some sort self created dreamworld, very odd. He doesnt know anything about florida, much less any other states. Any one can do a simple google search and see the huge northern and rust belt and even florida migration patterns into Atlanta.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

This was from 2009 , it slowed down for awhile but atlanta has really picked back up.

Migrants From New York, Florida and
California Choose Atlanta

"Net migration between the top 10 states (“top” meaning
most net migration into the Atlanta area) and the 20 area counties.
Between 2000 and 2009, the top “origin” state – where people are
moving from – was New York.

More than 60,247 more people moved
from New York to the 20-counties than vice versa.

This is also true
of Florida (+55,500), California (+25,800) and New Jersey (+22,700).

Gwinnett attracted more than 63,200 new residents from different
states between 2000 and 2009, including 17,800 from New York alone,
tops in the region. Next are Fulton (+61,800) Cobb (+45,800),and
DeKalb (+32,500).
Don't ever believe anything Happiness-is-close posts regarding Atlanta. He has zero credibility when it comes to this subject, and will stop at nothing to trash the place - including outright lies when it suits him.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:47 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Just to clarify, FW has never been a suburb of Dallas.
And to add, FW has ALWAYS stood on its own. It just so happens to be 30 miles away from another large city.

I don't understand why people don't get this...

Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
How in earth does Birmingham or Memphis have Midwestern elements??? Louisville sure but Birmingham and memphis????
Compared to Tampa and Orlando??? lmao.

I've seen more people from the Midwest in Birmingham and Memphis than I did in Tampa and Orlando (Which basically has a Little San Juan). I'm not saying Birmingham or Memphis are Midwestern cities because they're not, but compared to Central Florida? It's laughable. It's a reason why Birmingham was called Pittsburgh of the South; and Memphis has people who go back and forth from the Midwest constantly.

I spent a month in Tampa, I honestly don't see how the locals have anything in common with the Midwest, nor do I get a feel of it being anything like the Midwest. Seems like people in CF are worse than people in Palm Beach lmao.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:26 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Compared to Tampa and Orlando??? lmao.

I've seen more people from the Midwest in Birmingham and Memphis than I did in Tampa and Orlando (Which basically has a Little San Juan). I'm not saying Birmingham or Memphis are Midwestern cities because they're not, but compared to Central Florida? It's laughable. It's a reason why Birmingham was called Pittsburgh of the South; and Memphis has people who go back and forth from the Midwest constantly.

I spent a month in Tampa, I honestly don't see how the locals have anything in common with the Midwest, nor do I get a feel of it being anything like the Midwest. Seems like people in CF are worse than people in Palm Beach lmao.
I lived in Memphis for almost 30 years and still have family there. Trust me, there's nothing Midwestern about Memphis. In fact, it's so close to Mississippi geographically and culturally that most people call it a "Deep South" city even though it's technically right in the middle of the MID-South. And Birmingham is the middle of Alabama and is even more Southern than Memphis, so I don't know how on Earth you think it is even remotely Midwestern.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
I see what OT is saying and what people are missing is the black migration into birmingham and memphis from chicago and detroit, the rust belt and midwest that came into work for US steel and fairfield and places like fed ex . As a musician I see the huge connection both ways between memphis and the midwest

Tampa and Orlando and alot of south florida is made up of every southern state and midwestern and northern states and cuba and puerto rico and many latin american countries in most neighborhoods.

The problem with this forum is that people only see the white migration and only focus on that

Last edited by floridanative10; 11-14-2015 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 10:41 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I see what OT is saying and what people are missing is the black migration into birmingham and memphis from chicago and detroit the rust belt and midwest that came into work for US steel and fairfield and places like fed ex . As a musician I see the huge connection both ways between memphis and the midwest

Tampa and Orlando and alot of south florida is every every state and cuba and puerto rico and many latin american countries in most neighborhoods.

The problem with these forums is that people only see the white migration
But Birmingham and Memphis aren't big magnets for domestic migration at all, from the Midwest or elsewhere, especially compared to the actual New South magnets.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:50 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
I see what OT is saying and what people are missing is the black migration into birmingham and memphis from chicago and detroit, the rust belt and midwest that came into work for US steel and fairfield and places like fed ex . As a musician I see the huge connection both ways between memphis and the midwest
I have known a lot of New Yorkers who moved to Memphis, but that still doesn't give it a NY/East Coast vibe. Memphis is very insular to the point where people who move there from outside don't influence or change its vibe and culture. Birmingham is the same way, at least for now.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:54 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I have known a lot of New Yorkers who moved to Memphis, but that still doesn't give it a NY/East Coast vibe. Memphis is very insular to the point where people who move there from outside don't influence or change its vibe and culture. Birmingham is the same way, at least for now.
I can only speak for Memphis from word of locals and since you live there I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But I don't think you still get my point; that was why I brought up Palm Beach because I've seen plenty of NY transplants around the area, and many times I've heard of people saying it's like NYC, which is not even necessarily true; not even Staten Island. One guy brought up that Central Florida has more in common with the Midwest, which isn't true either; and I included that if there were ever to be a Southern city with anything in common with the Midwest at all, it's Birmingham, Memphis*, and Louisville. Reiterating from the other poster; especially when you include things like BBQ, Jazz/Blues, Rust Belt, Large African-American Populations, Baseball etc. (Negro Leagues Baseball Museum - KC, Negro Southern League Museum - BHAM)

I'm not stamping cities like Birmingham, Memphis or Louisville as "Midwestern," at all, I'm just saying when put into comparison with Central Florida, one could pick apart the differences with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City