Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA vs Buffalo, NY
Richmond, VA 104 57.78%
Buffalo, NY 80 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:44 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Yeah, however, the Peace Bridge can be terribly backed up at times, so that can really be a wildcard. Is the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls a better option? The highway traffic is probably equally bad in both D.C. and Toronto. I still suspect that the drive from Richmond to D.C. is slightly less of a hassle than Buffalo to Toronto when the border crossing is taken into consideration.
You'll spend more time at the mixing bowl than the peace bridge. That entire stretch of 95 is miserable, and DC traffic effectively begins at Fredericksburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 09:49 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You'll spend more time at the mixing bowl than the peace bridge. That entire stretch of 95 is miserable, and DC traffic effectively begins at Fredericksburg.
The mixing bowl -- great nickname. Just looked it up... looks rather unpleasant.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:49 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Yeah, however, the Peace Bridge can be terribly backed up at times, so that can really be a wildcard. Is the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls a better option? The highway traffic is probably equally bad in both D.C. and Toronto. I still suspect that the drive from Richmond to D.C. is slightly less of a hassle than Buffalo to Toronto when the border crossing is taken into consideration.
I'd say that the Rainbow Bridge is a better option for crossing due usually to less people potentially crossing. There's also the Whirlpool and Queenston crossings around Niagara Falls.

Also, you can cross, but the hassle is with coming back in, if you don't have a passport or enhanced license.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
The standard RVA-DC trip is 90 minutes. While the worst I've endured is 4 hours, that's a rarity. This morning, which is kinda a holiday (Happy Mother's Day to mothers!, the estimated travel time is 1hr45m.

Why so down on Richmond/VA? HR is right next door to Richmond and there are plenty of work/play reasons to go to there. I had to go to Chesapeake earlier this week for business. A lot of folks working in both areas live in Williamsburg 32 minutes away from Downtown Richmond, which is especially great for people who live in New Kent and Charles City. Meanwhile its outlets are fantastic.
I can't agree with this. I have traveled between the two about 50 times. 90 mins is the exception IME. I-95 is a nightmare day and night. Starting at Woodbridge, Quantico or even Fredericksburg sometimes, there is constant stop and go; or just a parking lot. I can see 90 mins to Springfield station maybe, but even that can be longer. And the ride in from Springfield makes the trip 2 hours+. Traffic between Richmond and DC is unbelievably terrible.

Driving from Buffalo to Toronto is much easier for traffic. However, crossing the border has gotten so much worse over the past 20 years.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
I'm pretty familar with Toronto and DC, and would take DC of the 2. Though both are firmly in the most boring big cities of north america group, and aren't all that different really, when it comes to fun places to be near.

As to Buffalo, I now a lot of people from Buffalo in Richmond. Selection bias, but they all laugh at the comparison, saying RVA is a million times nicer than Buffalo. One of my wifes best friends lives just outside Buffalo. She's a city person, moved there from Boston. Likes the people much more than she expected, and doesn't want to leave Buffalo to our amazement, but she did move out of the city itself to the burbs as she says the city is dead. She did give it 2 years.

Granted this is a middle aged woman perspective, but she is a strongly non-suburb type, and a Buffalo liker, so I tend to trust her. She thought RVA (in city) was way nicer.

Wow, that link to the hipgreenscene travel posted above is really good.

Last edited by Charlesaf3; 05-09-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I'm pretty familar with Toronto and DC, and would take DC of the 2. Though both are firmly in the most boring big cities of north america group, and aren't all that different really.
Toronto boring? When was the last time you were there? Toronto is a huge, thriving, multicultural city. So many great neighborhoods and strong public transit. Sports is strong in Toronto moreso than most Canadian cities too.

The one area that DC is stronger is probably museums...

Old 05-09-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I'm pretty familar with Toronto and DC, and would take DC of the 2. Though both are firmly in the most boring big cities of north america group, and aren't all that different really, when it comes to fun places to be near.

As to Buffalo, I now a lot of people from Buffalo in Richmond. Selection bias, but they all laugh at the comparison, saying RVA is a million times nicer than Buffalo. One of my wifes best friends lives just outside Buffalo. She's a city person, moved there from Boston. Likes the people much more than she expected, and doesn't want to leave Buffalo to our amazement, but she did move out of the city itself to the burbs as she says the city is dead. She did give it 2 years.

Granted this is a middle aged woman perspective, but she is a strongly non-suburb type, and a Buffalo liker, so I tend to trust her. She thought RVA (in city) was way nicer.

Wow, that link to the hipgreenscene travel posted above is really good.
Where did she go within the city of Buffalo?

Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where did she go within the city of Buffalo?
Honestly man, and you KNOW I like Buffalo, but it just isn't as lively as Richmond. Richmond is naturally a bit prettier, more aesthetically pleasing, so maybe that helps the pace of the city. But the energy/atmosphere/vibe in Richmond is a level above Buff. I also have never met anyone whose been to both that sees otherwise....

Buffalo is a nice city, but Richmond offers more in the way of quality of life and things to do...

Old 05-09-2016, 02:06 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Buffalo, by far. Gotta love cities with Polish people. They throw a great party.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Honestly man, and you KNOW I like Buffalo, but it just isn't as lively as Richmond. Richmond is naturally a bit prettier, more aesthetically pleasing, so maybe that helps the pace of the city. But the energy/atmosphere/vibe in Richmond is a level above Buff. I also have never met anyone whose been to both that sees otherwise....

Buffalo is a nice city, but Richmond offers more in the way of quality of life and things to do...
Ok....What does this have to do with where the lady went to in the city of Buffalo?

Honestly, it may depend on who you ask as to which and what they may like as well. I think Richmond's more older, historical and cleaner look in some neighborhoods would appeal to some/many. This isn't to say that Buffalo doesn't have this look, as it isn't really considered or it isn't as old, when thinking about the city. For instance, not too many people think or know about the West Village neighborhood near Downtown, Lake Erie and Hutch Tech, a very good and diverse magnet high school: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8927...7i13312!8i6656

West Village Slideshow – Buffalo Rising

West Village

This area is literally just 3 or 4 blocks away: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8907...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City