Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:28 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
This essential thread topic is about "degrees of southerness." Otherwise why are we ranking cities on a scale in terms of most to least southern?
Yes but Jacksonville is not one of the cities under consideration here. If it was, it would most likely tally the most votes for most Southern or at least be essentially tied with Atlanta.

Quote:
I don't understand why people on these forums feel the need to label a place as southern, especially if they never lived or been to these places. Jax is Jax, Miami is Miami, Florida is Florida, Texas is Texas, DC is DC, etc. I see similar threads in regards to people claiming Missouri and Oklahoma as southern. It's quite ridiculous in my opinion. But to each his own I guess.
Because regional designations are the most basic. From there, one can talk about other cultural influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 04:42 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Having lived in TX the majority of my life, I have always considered D.C. as part of the Northeast, lol.

Atlanta and Houston are interchangeable.

*Atlanta
*Houston
Dallas
Miama
Washington D.C.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:49 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Based on the criteria, Miami and DC would probably be tied for least Southern. I would probably put Dallas next, followed by Houston, and consider Atlanta the most Southern. The only reason that I put Houston as slightly less Southern than ATL is that I always think of Texas as having "Western" culture given its history.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:46 PM

53 posts, read 51,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because regional designations are the most basic. From there, one can talk about other cultural influences.
Maybe on CD, but not in reality. People tend to identify where they are from based on city and/or state as opposed than region. My friends and I tell people were from Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami or Florida, never the we are from the south or that were southerners. Same with my cousin in Dallas, she and her husband (who is a native) never have refer to themselves as southerners but rather that they are "from Texas." To add to that I have former classmates from Atlanta, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama - never did they call themselves southerners but would identify by which city or state they were from.

In contrast I grew up in NY. Never once did myself, my family, or my friends would always refer to ourselves as from NY or New Yorkers, but it never thought to refer to ourselves as northerners.

I alived in AZ, where there are also a ton of people from the midwest including my supervisor. Again, never once did they refer to themselves as midwesterners but rather "from Chicago, from Michigan, from Minnesota, etc."

I imagine it's the same with people in California, Oregon, Washington. I doubt they refer to themselves as "west coasters" when asked about where they live.

Sorry but this regional identifying of people and places is just not my experience. Either everyone I happen to met and know in life doesn't identify by region, or it's a CD phenomena and obsession to label people, places, states by region.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Maybe on CD, but not in reality. People tend to identify where they are from based on city and/or state as opposed than region. My friends and I tell people were from Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami or Florida, never the we are from the south or that were southerners. Same with my cousin in Dallas, she and her husband (who is a native) never have refer to themselves as southerners but rather that they are "from Texas." To add to that I have former classmates from Atlanta, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama - never did they call themselves southerners but would identify by which city or state they were from.

In contrast I grew up in NY. Never once did myself, my family, or my friends would always refer to ourselves as from NY or New Yorkers, but it never thought to refer to ourselves as northerners.

I alived in AZ, where there are also a ton of people from the midwest including my supervisor. Again, never once did they refer to themselves as midwesterners but rather "from Chicago, from Michigan, from Minnesota, etc."

I imagine it's the same with people in California, Oregon, Washington. I doubt they refer to themselves as "west coasters" when asked about where they live.

Sorry but this regional identifying of people and places is just not my experience. Either everyone I happen to met and know in life doesn't identify by region, or it's a CD phenomena and obsession to label people, places, states by region.
I agree with all of that, but the topic of this discussion is also one that most people don't have in real life.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:34 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,275 times
Quote:

I don't know man. I just got finish reading a weather report and while they did use specific states and cities, they began by speaking of the broader region first. Midwest before keying in on Chicago's, Milwaukee,
and Michigan's weather; South before talking New Orleans and Atlanta; and they mentioned New England.

Some people get specific if they're from a well known place and some people use the broader region. I knew a Boston couple who'd claim New England, then Boston metro, then whatever town they're actually from. It's all relative though.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:05 PM

828 posts, read 649,798 times
None of these are classic Southern cities in any stretch and I don't consider any of them to feel "hugely" Southern. I'm going to take a slightly contrarian view from many others here and put Houston in as #1 and Atlanta as #2. These were close, but I think the Southern influence is currently larger in Houston than in Atlanta by a bit.

For the other three, it's tricky to rank as they are really not Southern cities, but are at most, Southern influenced. I suppose I'd rank in this way (from most to least): Dallas, D.C., Miami. But Miami is fundamentally different from anywhere else in the U.S. (I say the same for NYC by the way as well), and I think trying to even think of Miami as Southern at all is a fool's errand.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:16 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
What’s the definition of Southern here?

Old 01-02-2018, 08:24 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Most Southern: Atlanta
Mostly Southern: Houston
South-by-Southwestern: Dallas
Southernmost Northern city: Washington DC
South of the South: Miami

Old 01-02-2018, 09:39 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Having lived in TX the majority of my life, I have always considered D.C. as part of the Northeast, lol.

Atlanta and Houston are interchangeable.

*Atlanta
*Houston
Dallas
Miama
Washington D.C.
I agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City