Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:54 PM

93,429 posts, read 124,120,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I looked at the demographics for Lawton out of curiosity:

That seems fairly diverse, but the only thing that seems unique is that there's a considerable Native American population(which isn't even that large usually outside of certain areas with large reservations). Though it seems like the city is mostly white, with a sizable black, and then smaller Hispanic population(which you can find in a lot of places in the US).
You have to consider percentages on a national level too. Lawton's Black and Native American percentages are above the national percentage and its Hispanic percentage is about 5% the national percentage. Its White percentage actually a couple percentage points below the national White non-Hispanic percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It would be nice to see a report that's ostensibly about ethno-racial diversity actually address the "ethnic" part of the equation. This is why we get these reports declaring Robeson County, NC the most "diverse county in the nation."
I have never seen that about Robeson County, but if so, it may be due to the relatively close percentages if Blacks, Whites and Native Americans(largely the Lumbee, which has been called a Tri-Racial Isolate that identifies as Native American).

Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,314,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I imagine the 10 cities listed also have very diverse Hispanic populations. They also add very diverse Asian populations, a demographic Miami lacks.
Cities in California like San Diego and San Jose have Hispanic populations that are mostly Mexicans with maybe some small Central American populations(Guatemalan and Salvadorean).

The Miami area seems to have in addition to large Cuban and Haitian(not Hispanic yes) populations, basically almost every Central American, Caribbean, and South American country represented in some numbers. It's just weird not to think of Miami as being ethnically diverse compared to some of the other places they ranked higher. They seemed to focus on racial diversity looking at five "races", that aren't even necessarily races.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 10-07-2015 at 05:18 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You have to consider percentages on a national level too. Lawton's Black and Native American percentages are above the national percentage and its Hispanic percentage is about 5% the national percentage. Its White percentage actually a couple percentage points below the national White non-Hispanic percentage.
I'm surprised Killeen-Ft.Hood isn't on there unless I missed it which is also a military town. No demographic is even above 40% and it's about the same size as Lawton.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:30 PM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I have never seen that about Robeson County, but if so, it may be due to the relatively close percentages if Blacks, Whites and Native Americans(largely the Lumbee, which has been called a Tri-Racial Isolate that identifies as Native American).
You're exactly right on Robeson! It is fairly diverse, with a fast-growing Mexican population...

Now, from what can be researched, you can clearly see the confusion surrounding Lumbee history. Down here (I'm currently in Fayetteville), you hear a variety of stories about their origins. However, i 'personally' believe the theory of escaped/former slaves as the original settlers of Robeson. I can tell you from experience, there is a LOT of African in that bloodline/tribe (and a lot of white, too, but I believe the positions that white admixture came later). Even today, there are those who identify as "fully" Lumbee who have clear African features, and every single "white" Lumbee I've met, has "black" Lumbee family. It can get confusing, and of course there are many that deny black ancestry, but I digress....

It's difficult to live anywhere in the Sandhills/greater Fayetteville area (which consists of Cumberland, Hoke, Scotland, Robeson, and maybe Sampson counties) and not know a Lumbee, or someone mixed with Lumbee. The influence is great; less so in Fayetteville than the rural counties, but still highly visible. And for my money, I also agree with them not being federally recognized. Their oral and documented history is so murky, and has changed through the centuries even from supposed Lumbees, add the fact the Cherokee and no other nation recognizes them (but the Pee Dee ARE recognized), you have exactly what you stated---a tri-racial isolate that chose/has chosen to identify as Indian...

By the way, i have saw something before labeling Robeson amongst America's most diverse counties. I don't know how true it would be, as there is almost no Middle Eastern, Oceanic, or Asian presence in Robeson (all of which are much more visible in Fayetteville), but it is fairly diverse nonetheless...

Old 10-07-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're exactly right on Robeson! It is fairly diverse, with a fast-growing Mexican population...

Now, from what can be researched, you can clearly see the confusion surrounding Lumbee history. Down here (I'm currently in Fayetteville), you hear a variety of stories about their origins. However, i 'personally' believe the theory of escaped/former slaves as the original settlers of Robeson. I can tell you from experience, there is a LOT of African in that bloodline/tribe (and a lot of white, too, but I believe the positions that white admixture came later). Even today, there are those who identify as "fully" Lumbee who have clear African features, and every single "white" Lumbee I've met, has "black" Lumbee family. It can get confusing, and of course there are many that deny black ancestry, but I digress....

It's difficult to live anywhere in the Sandhills/greater Fayetteville area (which consists of Cumberland, Hoke, Scotland, Robeson, and maybe Sampson counties) and not know a Lumbee, or someone mixed with Lumbee. The influence is great; less so in Fayetteville than the rural counties, but still highly visible. And for my money, I also agree with them not being federally recognized. Their oral and documented history is so murky, and has changed through the centuries even from supposed Lumbees, add the fact the Cherokee and no other nation recognizes them (but the Pee Dee ARE recognized), you have exactly what you stated---a tri-racial isolate that chose/has chosen to identify as Indian...

By the way, i have saw something before labeling Robeson amongst America's most diverse counties. I don't know how true it would be, as there is almost no Middle Eastern, Oceanic, or Asian presence in Robeson (all of which are much more visible in Fayetteville), but it is fairly diverse nonetheless...
^This and you know what is interesting is that there are certain last names that are common among the Lumbee(Sampson, Lowry, Revels, etc.). Ironically, my mom who has family in that area of NC and SC, has one of those last name that are common among the Lumbee within her family. So, I agree that a lot of them have pretty strong African features. Actually, if you are familiar with College Basketball, Kelvin Sampson is actually a Lumbee, but if you saw him, you would think that he is Black. A lot of them that go to college attend UNC-Pembroke: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univ...na_at_Pembroke It is essentially a Native American equivalent to a HBCU like North Carolina A&T.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,821 times
Quote:
Cities in California like San Diego and San Jose have Hispanic populations that are mostly Mexicans with maybe some small Central American populations(Guatemalan and Salvadorean).

The Miami area seems to have in addition to large Cuban and Haitian(not Hispanic yes) populations, basically almost every Central American, Caribbean, and South American country represented in some numbers. It's just weird not to think of Miami as being ethnically diverse compared to some of the other places they ranked higher. They seemed to focus on racial diversity looking at five "races", that aren't even necessarily races.
Yes, but that's JUST Hispanics. Even so, Miami is what like 70% Hispanic? Half of which are Cuban and the other half are a mix of Puerto Ricans and Guatemalans I believe. Asia is a huge continent with many different ethnicities. I don't think Miami has a significant number of people from any Asian countries, and that's what hurts Miami a little in this case.

However, I believe Miami's Hispanic demographic is rapidly diversifying, however this seems to be a more recent trend. We will see how that plays out.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,314,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Yes, but that's JUST Hispanics. Even so, Miami is what like 70% Hispanic? Half of which are Cuban and the other half are a mix of Puerto Ricans and Guatemalans I believe. Asia is a huge continent with many different ethnicities. I don't think Miami has a significant number of people from any Asian countries, and that's what hurts Miami a little in this case.
The half of Hispanics who aren't Cuban in Miami have a mix of Nicaraguans, Hondurans, Colombians, Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, Mexicans, Domincans, Salvadoreans and Argentinean and other groups. There's plenty of difference between Caribbean Hispanics, Central Americans and the different South American countries. Then you have a decent sized African-American population, a Haitian population, and a smaller non-Hispanic white minority. I'm not even arguing Miami is among the very most diverse places(not at all compared to New York or cities in California or other places)--but just how they quantify diversity seems a little suspect on that list.

I'm of Asian descent, but honestly I don't think a city has to have a certain threshold of Asians to be considered ethnically diverse.

I'm just saying it's funny the list ranks places like Yakima, Washington as being more diverse. Have you been to Yakima? Everyone is either Mexican or a white redneck.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 10-07-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:

Miami is definitely not as diverse as San Jose.

You act as if Asians are somehow less diverse than Hispanics, which hello? all speak the same language, 90%+ practice the same religion, they eat the same food to varying degrees, watch the same media etc. Thats actually not that diverse to me.

On the other hand, while Hispanics and Asians in SJ are almost equally represented but SJ has Indians, Filipinos, Chinese etc. are totally different.

ijs

Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Hispanics are not a monolithic group, here a Mexican and a Argentinian speaking, you don't need to speak Spanish to here the contrast between the average Argentinian and Mexican. Some Hispanics vary from black to white to varieties of mixed and regardless on whether you count Filipinos as Hispanic or not their are even Peruvian Japanese and other Asians that are Hispanic. I agree Asia has 1000's of ethnic groups and their are less than 60 his panic ethnic groups. Even saying Filipino, Chinese and Indian is technically wrong as each of those countries have a dozen or more ethnic groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City