Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:27 PM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Is this the 10 most ethnically diverse U.S cities? List makes sense, the only one I wasn't expecting was Sacremento.
Why were you not expecting Sacramento?

Large City Ranking:
1 New York, NY
(69.35)
2 Oakland, CA
(69.26)
3 San Jose, CA
(68.35)
4 Sacramento, CA
(66.50)
5 San Francisco, CA
(66.30)
6 San Diego, CA
(65.52)
7 Boston, MA
(65.40)
8 Los Angeles, CA
(65.22)
9 Long Beach, CA
(65.11)
10 Houston, TX
(64.35)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 05:19 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
I didn't expect because I never hear anyone talking about how diverse Sacremento is, I thought it was a mostly white and Hispanic area with a few Asian burbs, kind of like Houston without the massive amount of AA people and a larger prcentage of Asians/ Whites and show panics.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
I didn't expect because I never hear anyone talking about how diverse Sacremento is, I thought it was a mostly white and Hispanic area with a few Asian burbs, kind of like Houston without the massive amount of AA people and a larger prcentage of Asians/ Whites and show panics.
Sacramento is actually a very diverse city:

White: 35.4%
Hispanic: 26.9%
Asian: 18.3%
Black: 14.6%

If that isnt diverse, I dont know what is.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:51 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,314,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Miami is definitely not as diverse as San Jose.
I never said it was, I was responding to a poster about the level of diversity between "Hispanic" populations between the two.

Quote:
You act as if Asians are somehow less diverse than Hispanics, which hello? all speak the same language, 90%+ practice the same religion, they eat the same food to varying degrees, watch the same media etc. Thats actually not that diverse to me.
I said nothing about "Asians" being less diverse than "Hispanics". I'd say the huge grouping of everyone from the same continent as Asians is pretty meaningless as it is considering how much difference there is from someone from Japan to someone from India or from someone in Vietnam to someone in Iran. That's why I find it funny on here when people have arguments about the "best places for Asians".

I only argued that just because a population is 70% Hispanic, doesn't mean that population isn't diverse within that grouping. Just like there's plenty of diversity in Europe between the countries there's plenty of diversity in the Americas. Just like how lumping in Carribbean born blacks or Africans with black Americans as "black" or combining everyone from Iran to Ireland as "white" doesn't really tell the true story of ethnic diversity in lists like the one posted.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:13 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,745 times
Quote:
Most likely because most people don't really talk about Sacramento at all. But it's been kinda put out there for at least most of this century that Sacramento is a diverse city.

Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME

The Times Magazine article was written in 2002.

However, it doesn't change the fact that Sacramento is relatively hot and overshadowed by the Bay Area, which is why most people have blank stares when you talk about it.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:14 AM

661 posts, read 691,927 times
Quote:
Sacramento. Phoenicians probably feel the same way when people spell it Pheonix, or Tucsoners(?) when it's spelled Tuscon.

I think Sacramento's diversity is a combo of being a relatively newer city (still old by California standards), right at the crossroads of major N/S/E/W freeways, and a notable lack of racial disharmony which makes every feel safer and more included.

Yeah, Sac flies under the radar when it comes to a lot of stuff. We've actually had to argue with folks who don't think the city is all that diverse or integrated (which cities higher on the list definitely are not). Sac gets left out of biking lists too for some reason, even though we're also near the top for bike commuters.

But that's cool, it lets us do our thing without the hype/scrutiny that comes with being a Portland or Austin.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
But that's cool, it lets us do our thing without the hype/scrutiny that comes with being a Portland or Austin.
Sacramento is far more diverse than Austin or Portland.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
But without the "hip" factor about it. Though Midtown is kinda cool.

It's unfortunate because if Sacramento was 50 miles further away from San Francisco, it would probably be a whole lot less overshadowed.

I personally think its alright -- out of all the California cities I've been to, they seem to love winter sports more than anyone else. It's just not the flashiest or coolest area that you can brag to people about.

Not that it should matter to anyone though.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:22 AM

661 posts, read 691,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Yep I understand, but my comment was more about how people overlook Sac compared to places like PDX and Austin and I think that has some positives. Our diversity gives us a better food scene than either of those cities too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
But without the "hip" factor about it. Though Midtown is kinda cool.

It's unfortunate because if Sacramento was 50 miles further away from San Francisco, it would probably be a whole lot less overshadowed.

I personally think its alright -- out of all the California cities I've been to, they seem to love winter sports more than anyone else. It's just not the flashiest or coolest area that you can brag to people about.

Not that it should matter to anyone though.
Yes, exactly. That "hip" factor drives up real estate and dilutes the local culture to fit what outsiders expect of these cities. I think Midtown by itself could hold it's own as one of the best neighborhoods on the West Coast.

I can be on the slopes skiing within 90 minutes and I don't even live in the eastern suburbs which would cut that down to an hour. Or climbing on world class granite. Or camping near an alpine lake with no one around for miles. Flip that to the west and you have the ocean and it's treasures. Tahoe might not stack up against some of the Colorado or SLC resorts but it's still world class and we can get to it in half the time it takes the Bay Area to.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread and turn it into Sac-talk. Thanks for posting the list slo1318!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, exactly. That "hip" factor drives up real estate and dilutes the local culture to fit what outsiders expect of these cities. I think Midtown by itself could hold it's own as one of the best neighborhoods on the West Coast.
Yeah, there are a lot of younger yuppies who hang out in Midtown nowadays, a lot whom work for the government.

I can't talk too much trash about it because I might be one of those people in the not too distant future.

I wish there was a Fuji's sushi place there though. Going out to Elk Grove or Davis for that is a pain. I want my all-you-can-eat sushi while I'm drunk

Quote:
I can be on the slopes skiing within 90 minutes and I don't even live in the eastern suburbs which would cut that down to an hour. Or climbing on world class granite. Or camping near an alpine lake with no one around for miles. Flip that to the west and you have the ocean and it's treasures. Tahoe might not stack up against some of the Colorado or SLC resorts but it's still world class and we can get to it in half the time it takes the Bay Area to.
This certainly might be the wrong forum to talk about this kind of thing to, but in terms of outdoors activities, Sacramento isn't all that bad. Thing is, for "urbanites", this might be a little lower on the priority list.

You can agree though that Sacramento could use a bit more things in town, instead of looking for things around it to do. I think the new Kings arena will do wonders for Downtown

This has gotten pretty off topic but we can talk about it in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City