Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:43 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
See, that's the problem with insane integration - there really isn't a predominant area of anything. Just lots of areas with everything with no real concentration of anything. It's almost boring to the point of "wow, this person looks so different than me yet we all think the same way"

That's how most metros are now -- I feel like Chicago and NYC's ethnic segregation is probably more rare than we all realize.

One of my best friends from college is a Taiwanese dude who opened a bunch of furniture stores in the Sacramento area. From my understand, he told me that those kind of newer kind of businesses are dispersed everywhere, with many having to go to the Bay Area frequently to do business.

I'm sure that'll change soon.
Yeah, that's the way a lot of places are today. In the Vancouver BC area there's still predominantly Chinese areas in the suburbs and some neighborhoods because of the huge size of the population--but for other Asian immigrant groups like Koreans or Vietnamese(although there is a small Little Saigon area in East Vancouver) people just open businesses wherever (as well some might open in hip areas if you can afford it to maximize business potential). And as the younger population becomes more upwardly mobile, it'll just increase.

Even in New York with the more defined ethnic neighborhoods, I always thought it cool that in Brooklyn and Queens, I'd see streets with a huge mix of ethnic businesses--there's areas where the Latino or black or East Asian or Arab and old Italian or Polish neighborhoods seem to kind blend together, where it doesn't look like one group really dominates. I love those types of neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:56 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Yeah, that's the way a lot of places are today. In the Vancouver BC area there's still predominantly Chinese areas in the suburbs and some neighborhoods because of the huge size of the population--but for other Asian immigrant groups(Koreans, Vietnamese, etc.) people just open businesses wherever (as well some might open in hip areas if you can afford it to maximize business potential). And as the younger population becomes more upwardly mobile, it'll just increase.
Yeah. Like I know Richmond has a lot of Cantonese malls and restaurants and Surrey is home to half of Punjab (only joking, kind of), but for the smaller groups, they just tend to be everywhere.

In the case of Sacramento, it's not that large of a metro area and there is as much of an even mix of people for a place with 2.2 million people as anywhere else, so it just kind of all blends in together without a concentration of anything. This is especially noticeable because geographically, it's not all that large either.

Quote:
Even in New York with the more defined ethnic neighborhoods, I always thought it cool that in Brooklyn and Queens, I'd see streets with a huge mix of ethnic businesses--there's areas where the Latino or black or East Asian or Arab and old Italian or Polish neighborhoods seem to kind blend together, where it doesn't look like one group really dominates. I love those types of neighborhoods.
Definitely, especially because of the human scale of it all. It's different IMO when everything is in a strip mall, which tends to be the case on the West Coast. I live in Koreatown here in LA right now, and it's still a really diverse area (lots of South Asians around 'Little Bangladesh', Koreans, Mexicans, Filipinos, Non-Hispanic Whites, etc.), but when you lay everything out in a strip mall, most people just walk in and out and back into their car. That isn't as exciting as the human scale of walking around everywhere.

I still think New York is probably tops in diversity mostly because of the large population size, but I feel like most major cities are diverse enough where the difference between one or another is in the proportional mix of groups, not whether or not they are diverse.

Realistically, the difference between #1 and #10 isn't all that large. Oh, so in New York you have a 70% chance of meeting any two people of different ethnic backgrounds, and in Houston that goes down to 65%?

There are other measures on City Data, but you get the picture.

EDIT: Since you are in the Pacific Northwest, one of the most underrated areas of the country on this is South King County. Basically everywhere south of DT Seattle through to Tacoma. Very large African population, large (for the area) Hispanic population, and Asian (lots of Filipinos and Vietnamese, but smatterings of Indians and Chinese) population (which is to be expected). The West Coast analogue to the NYC neighborhoods you're speaking of - South Center in Tukwila. Looks like a regular mall, but there's a ton of cool ethnic stores inside it, along with plenty of mixed groups of bratty teenagers being bratty teenagers

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 10-08-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 06:23 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I didn't expect because I never hear anyone talking about how diverse Sacremento is, I thought it was a mostly white and Hispanic area with a few Asian burbs, kind of like Houston without the massive amount of AA people and a larger prcentage of Asians/ Whites and show panics.
Sacramento has moderate to high educational attainment, solid good paying middle class jobs, majority with State Government, a small but solid tech sector, and reasonable real estate values ---- all this fits with bringing in diversity.

Also, Sacramento is in California and it has a top notch affordable university, UC Davis which brings in a ton of asians, whites, and hispanics. UC Davis is as good and better in several disciplines over UT Austin.

Last edited by Chimérique; 10-09-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Sacramento is actually a very diverse city:

White: 35.4%
Hispanic: 26.9%
Asian: 18.3%
Black: 14.6%

If that isnt diverse, I dont know what is.
...and seems like Sacramento City is getting even more diverse by those numbers.

The least diverse part of the metro is mostly white(over 90%) and the most affluent - South Placer County and El Dorado County. But this is still California for decades the mixing of races, seeing middle class AA's, wealthy asians mixed with a whole bunch of other asians-indians, etc., and hispanics everywhere is a common sight.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Most likely because most people don't really talk about Sacramento at all. But it's been kinda put out there for at least most of this century that Sacramento is a diverse city.

Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME

The Times Magazine article was written in 2002.

However, it doesn't change the fact that Sacramento is relatively hot and overshadowed by the Bay Area, which is why most people have blank stares when you talk about it.
Sacramento's connection to the Bay means we can enjoy all the cultural comforts of SF without the cost of living there - as easy as any other outer Bay Area locale. Sacramento has plenty of it's own cultural offerings having SF nearby is just a bonus, like how Philly is to NYC, Baltimore is to DC, etc.

Note, Sacramento certainly is NOT as mesirably-uncomfortably-hot as Austin, not by a long-shot, as Sacramento can thank the cold pacific for giving us DAILY COOL summer evenings, nights and mornings.

Last edited by Chimérique; 10-09-2015 at 06:53 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 10:54 PM

414 posts, read 508,612 times
Not sure why people are so surprised about Miami. It's a mix of hispanics from different ancestries, which all happen to be the same linguistic group. If Miami is considered simply because it has diverse hispanic demographics, then (non-hispanic) "caucasian" diversity should count in the same manner.

Sorry, but Chaldean Iraqi immigrants in San Diego are not the same as Polish immigrants in Chicago.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 PM

414 posts, read 508,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento's connection to the Bay means we can enjoy all the cultural comforts of SF without the cost of living there - as easy as any other outer Bay Area locale. Sacramento has plenty of it's own cultural offerings having SF nearby is just a bonus, like how Philly is to NYC, Baltimore is to DC, etc.

Note, Sacramento certainly is NOT as mesirably-uncomfortably-hot as Austin, not by a long-shot, as Sacramento can thank the cold pacific for giving us DAILY COOL summer evenings, nights and mornings.
Baltimore, Philly, and Sacramento are all overshadowed by the neighboring metro...

Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,140 times
Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in the USA.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:17 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Thanks guys, I learned something new, as a Geography Nut, I always memorize things like the direction of sprawl in citites and how it is oreganized etc. but in my mind I always thought of places like Sacramento were between Stockton, Bakersfield and Fresno in diversity or in that range, which is still pretty diverse but not top 10 in the U.S

Old 10-15-2015, 03:33 AM

41 posts, read 47,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
Not sure why people are so surprised about Miami. It's a mix of hispanics from different ancestries, which all happen to be the same linguistic group. If Miami is considered simply because it has diverse hispanic demographics, then (non-hispanic) "caucasian" diversity should count in the same manner.

Sorry, but Chaldean Iraqi immigrants in San Diego are not the same as Polish immigrants in Chicago.
It depends on how you look at it. Miami has several metrics going for it, one being that it has the highest foreign born population in the USA. It also has 3 important languages (English, Spanish, French) that are widely spoken by her population. On top of that, incredibly high levels of tourism in places like Miami Beach means that you'd pretty much be able to hear any European language spoken on the streets in Miami in any given day. Which is why, to visitors at least, Miami feels like one of the most international and diverse cities in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City