Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,490 times

Advertisements

hi! i know ive seen similar posts but im in a pickle. My husband and I both lived in SLC years ago (currently in montana and ready to get out of here) so we were considering SLC..but then we got onto the topic of Austin. I was just wondering who thinks which city would be better. what are thier perks and who overall would have the best public transit? Any info would be helpful, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlocke10 View Post
hi! i know ive seen similar posts but im in a pickle. My husband and I both lived in SLC years ago (currently in montana and ready to get out of here) so we were considering SLC..but then we got onto the topic of Austin. I was just wondering who thinks which city would be better. what are thier perks and who overall would have the best public transit? Any info would be helpful, thanks so much!
Where is your job?

& what is public transportation?

Seriously....do some research & come back and ask specific questions. Both cities have a lot of pros & a few cons, but we have no idea what your perspective is (or where your job is ).

Old 12-09-2015, 12:00 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
What exactly is your standard of reference for evaluating public transport? Neither Austin or Salt Lake City is among the top cities in the US for public transport. Both are likely better than Montana.

Here is the transit agency for SLC
Utah Transit Authority

Here is the transit agency for Austin
Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

If you like winter or all four seasons then SLC will be better. Austin has long hot summers. Just a guess, but the cost of living is likely lower in Salt Lake City, Austin is the most expensive city in Texas for housing.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Where is your job?

& what is public transportation?

Seriously....do some research & come back and ask specific questions. Both cities have a lot of pros & a few cons, but we have no idea what your perspective is (or where your job is ).

Im actually not worried about work..im a cna its very easy anywhere i go to find work...and i prefer public transportation..ive actually done a ton of research but i figured i would ask about the pros and cons of the cities.. Whats good about it and whats not. I know more about SLC however being i have lived there..but i would like to get a better clue of what austin offers

Old 12-09-2015, 10:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
SLC has nothing in comparison to Austin, TX

Austin, TX has all of this.... http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...fo-thread.html
& http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

SLC for comparison http://www.city-data.com/city/Salt-Lake-City-Utah.html

Public transportation is not very good in Austin unless you carefully plan your home location on routes to your work location.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:14 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
I would look at San Antonio or Houston. You could easily get a job it sounds like, but the COL in Austin is really high and getting higher

Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
If you have strong feelings either way about the LDS Church, take that into consideration. Lots of Mormons in SLC, not so much in Austin. Since you lived in SLC I am sure you are familiar with LDS.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:46 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I would say the surrounds/nature are better for SLC, probably also a slower pace of living, and for me I'd prefer the weather (though SLC gets hot in the summer, it doesn't get Austin hot, and it always cools down at night).

However Austin's urbanity/culture is just very unique and lively, so they really are two different animals, that both have qualities that I'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: