Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Minneapolis
Denver 129 53.97%
Minneapolis 110 46.03%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:18 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Uhh just the taxes made off pot is something to the akin of nearly $80,000,000 dollars in 2014. It brings in more tax revenue than BEER. In July 2015 medical and non medical total revenue was nearly $100,000,000 dollars. That is a pretty fricken big deal. Nevermind the fact that a whole new sector of the economy is no longer under ground, and has helped many otherwise unemployable people find jobs in a niche economy.

Make no mistake, the legalization of pot is HUGE and part of the reason Denver is BOOMING right now. So much so, that California is trying to get their ducks in a row to jump on the bandwagon.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...t-a-major.html

I wouldn't be surprised if it does rake in more tax revenue than beer, because of basic supply and demand, pots going to be way more expensive than beer. Even when substances are illegal, they can often being in more revenue than alcohol.

I think the % of people visiting for that specific reason, of the total producion by volume/weight, etc. is a greater reason to say that a place is booming because of X.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This thread is a lot more vicious than I thought it was going to be. Both cities are pretty similar. White liberal "brogressive" bastions that are overhyped that wish they were Seattle and Portland. Denver has the edge with the beautiful mountains, better climate, and great beer scene. Arguing about which city is more cosmopolitan and diverse is ridiculous...both are pretty similar in that regard.
Literally no city is trying to be Seattle or Portland. Well, maybe Portland is trying to be like Seattle...but there is nothing about Denver or Minneapolis that point to them trying to be Pacific Northwestern.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...t-a-major.html

I wouldn't be surprised if it does rake in more tax revenue than beer, because of basic supply and demand, pots going to be way more expensive than beer. Even when substances are illegal, they can often being in more revenue than alcohol.

I think the % of people visiting for that specific reason, of the total producion by volume/weight, etc. is a greater reason to say that a place is booming because of X.

LoL that is just a random survey, come on dude. A you really going to sit here and say what is at or near a billion dollar industry, has not had a significant effect on Denver.

Denver was already economically strong before legal weed, now they are just banking. Ironically they ship most of it from California

Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
LoL that is just a random survey, come on dude. A you really going to sit here and say what is at or near a billion dollar industry, has not had a significant effect on Denver.

Denver was already economically strong before legal weed, now they are just banking. Ironically they ship most of it from California
I'm sure it has, I guess what I was suggesting is again, the point of that survey, that the majority of newcomers to Denver and Colorado still come for the same reasons as they would have regardless.

I guess I was never arguing about the economics of the whole thing, I was just focusing more on the types of people who move to Colorado. For the majority of people who are moving, or for those who choose to stay, they could probably care less. So yeah, I was thinking more in terms of the reasons the majority of people moving there, or staying, rather than the economics of the whole thing.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:06 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm sorry, I was under the impression from the post that I responded to, was that we were just going to start referencing blogs and stuff we saw on the internet to support any thing that we stated, I must have misunderstood...sorry
I figured that was prescription strength sarcasm, but it still helps to use the rollieyes ().
The high altitude can make one slower on the uptake.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:17 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
You realize every city with a cold winter has dead trees during that time (including Minneapolis), right?

If you're referring to the last year, yes there were a lot of dead trees around the city due to a very late snowfall that caused a lot of damage during the spring. However, that's not the normal so I don't get what you're saying
They're not dead, btw.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
It's certainly a great argument for why DEN is more cosmo than MSP. Recall that people who live in MSP are mostly white people with Scandinavian decent from the metro area originally or WI, IL, ND, SD etc. And those are the types that seem to be culturally accepted up there and thrive (or if you're Mung.)

DEN does have a lot of Midwest people but as you said, lots of east coasters and Californian's. It comes off as more fun and appealing. The pot thing probably has a lot to do with it.
Denver is pretty white.....Latino and white. Not sure what you're bragging about.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Uhh just the taxes made off pot is something to the akin of nearly $80,000,000 dollars in 2014. It brings in more tax revenue than BEER. In July 2015 medical and non medical total revenue was nearly $100,000,000 dollars. That is a pretty fricken big deal. Nevermind the fact that a whole new sector of the economy is no longer under ground, and has helped many otherwise unemployable people find jobs in a niche economy.

Make no mistake, the legalization of pot is HUGE and part of the reason Denver is BOOMING right now. So much so, that California is trying to get their ducks in a row to jump on the bandwagon.
Maybe MN will jump ahead of all of you and legalize heroin....I mean, think of the tax revenues if opium were legalized!!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
It's certainly a great argument for why DEN is more cosmo than MSP. Recall that people who live in MSP are mostly white people with Scandinavian decent from the metro area originally or WI, IL, ND, SD etc. And those are the types that seem to be culturally accepted up there and thrive (or if you're Mung.)
First of all, it's Hmong. Next, metro demographics are pretty much pointless as suburbs do not make a city cosmopolitan. If you look at the central cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul as compared to Denver, the core of MPLS and STPL are more diverse than Denver. Yeah, yeah I know Minneapolis and St. Paul are two cities, but they are the core of the metro area and they literally border one another so you can't talk about one while conveniently leaving out the other.

2014 Census Estimates:
MPLS-STPL - 704,825
Denver - 663,862

Land Area:
MPLS-STPL: 107 sq miles
Denver: 153 sq miles

Black
MPLS-STPL - 17.8%
Denver - 9.3%

Asian
MPLS-STPL - 10.9%
Denver - 3.7%

Hispanic
MPLS-STPL - 1%
Denver - 30.8%

Foreign Born
MPLS-STPL - 16.8%
Denver - 17%

Old 02-01-2016, 06:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Maybe MN will jump ahead of all of you and legalize heroin....I mean, think of the tax revenues if opium were legalized!!
Is this midwestern guy really comparing weed to opium?

If this is a prevailing attitude in the midwest, add this as yet another reason to choose Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City