Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times

Advertisements

Toronto has a more diverse vibe than Chicago or NYC? I agree Toronto has a multiculti vibe going, but it seems limited to people from countries that were former parts of the British Empire whereas New York has a larger quantity and variety of immigrants, and they are from just about everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Diverse population isn't the only way to measure "globality" of a place. Chicago is also very global because it is a top 10 world financial center. You can say Toronto has a more diverse vibe about it, but I don't see how that really proves anything.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 AM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Toronto has a more diverse vibe than Chicago or NYC? I agree Toronto has a multiculti vibe going, but it seems limited to people from countries that were former parts of the British Empire whereas New York has a larger quantity and variety of immigrants, and they are from just about everywhere.
I only compared it to Chicago.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:59 AM

717 posts, read 899,103 times
Of course Manhattan is awesome, but even looking at pictures there's just something so special about Chicago's Loop.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Chicago's all around culture and environment just appeals better to me. Everything from it's style of architecture to food...the layout. The people in the city seem more laid back and less uptight about things. Chicago has more of a smooth personality vibe mentality than NY like chillin to some Electricfied Blues. It's more underground and less mainstream than NY. Downtown Chicago for me

Old 08-11-2011, 11:48 AM

I agree. Chicago is 'architecture city'. Visually grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Of course Manhattan is awesome, but even looking at pictures there's just something so special about Chicago's Loop.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
The loop in Chicago is business district, with very few little activity outside of business hours, just curious what you find so special about it? It is similar in function to Wall Street area.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM

OK so are you saying Lower Manhattan is not special? That would be the misguided statement of the decade. Especially with that 10'th anniversary only 1 month away. Willis Tower remains the tallest in the nation, that's special. The architecture in the loop is special, internationally recognized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
The loop in Chicago is business district, with very few little activity outside of business hours, just curious what you find so special about it? It is similar in function to Wall Street area.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
OK so are you saying Lower Manhattan is not special? That would be the misguided statement of the decade. Especially with that 10'th anniversary only 1 month away. Willis Tower remains the tallest in the nation, that's special. The architecture in the loop is special, internationally recognized.
Eh, maybe living in Manhattan my entire life and working on Wall Street for 8 years has jaded me. Maybe "special" isn't what I meant, I guess I dont find either area to be very interesting. If I had to show a visitor around New York or Chicago, there would be several places I show them before the Loop or Lower Manhattan. To each their own. Willis Tower is just an office building to me, I dont find it to be very interesting (I actually think it is quite ugly).

Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM

107 posts, read 125,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Eh, maybe living in Manhattan my entire life and working on Wall Street for 8 years has jaded me. Maybe "special" isn't what I meant, I guess I dont find either area to be very interesting. If I had to show a visitor around New York or Chicago, there would be several places I show them before the Loop or Lower Manhattan. To each their own. Willis Tower is just an office building to me, I dont find it to be very interesting (I actually think it is quite ugly).
I agree. The loop is so empty outside of business hours and so is Wall Street. Only the office cleaning crews are busy.
I also agree about the ugliness of Sears and Hancock. Black Lego boxes. Nothing else.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 PM

717 posts, read 899,103 times
Who said anything about activity? The original post asks which downtown we feel is better looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.