Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 AM

541 posts, read 916,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But all those are in Downtown Manhattan.

Its not brain surgery.

Im referring to the CBD in sizes.

The largest is Midtown, then Chicago, then Downtown Manhattan.

Im talking buildings/architecture/primary business/commercial areas/skyline, what have you.

If you wanna talk about most visually appealing, its probably Chicago, and then downtown Manhattan, and then Midtown.

The OP isnt talking about all-around urbanity, vibrancy, neighborhoods, etc. Its purely looks.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael31681 View Post
i was just curios as to what newyorkers thing is the better looking downtown. i have never been to newyork but i know it has a massive downtown. i have been to chicago and it is also very large and there are many great looking buildings including the new 2000ft spire building currently under construction. im from minneapolis and i think its a good looking downtown but nothing compared to chicago or newyork.

Oh look, its the OP, which clearly states his question, yet people still bend around and answer to the way it seems fit about the city theyre boosting. Its the most annoying thing on this website. People replying about things that have nothing to do with the subject.

Ever notice how many people derail a thread into something that has nothing to do with the OP.

"if we are talking this..... or that......" No. He clearly says better looking.

Get a picture of the three skylines and answer. The end.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,710,121 times
Better looking could be at street level, not necesarily skylines. The neighborhoods of Downtown Manhattan could be included.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,959,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Oh look, its the OP, which clearly states his question, yet people still bend around and answer to the way it seems fit about the city theyre boosting. Its the most annoying thing on this website. People replying about things that have nothing to do with the subject.

Ever notice how many people derail a thread into something that has nothing to do with the OP.

"if we are talking this..... or that......" No. He clearly says better looking.

Get a picture of the three skylines and answer. The end.
Ok but then how can anything north of the Chicago river be considering part of "downtown", since none of that is really CBD as you claim. If you include River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast as downtown Chicago how the he k would you leave out everything south of 14th st in manhattan?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,995,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
I don't think you understand! Downtown Manhattan is no more "downtown" to Mnattan than West Village is inhabited by shepherds wirh herds of sheeps. Downtown Manhattan is just a name while downtown Chicago signifies the business and cultural core of the city of Chicago. Business and cultural core of Manhattan and the entire New York City is located in Midtown Manhattan. Do you get it now? So why do you insist on comparing downtown Chicago to Downtown Manhattan? Would you like to compare East Village to an actual village in Turkey as well just because West Village has "village" in its name?
I only identified the areas of Manhattan which were downtown (Lower Manhattan), Midtown, and Uptown as these areas are different districts. Now you're changing your argument about which area has the most culture and business which has nothing to do with with my original point. Now your going off topic. The topic of this thread is "who has a better downtown newyork or chicago" not "who has a better midtown newyork or chicago". This is not about Midtown Manhattan. I simply identified lower Manhattan (downtown) and you bring up another district for comparison which is not downtown. It's like me including urban areas beyond downtown Chicago all the way towards Evanston which has no relevance to the topic of this thread. If you're going argue at least stick to the topic of this thread which only focuses on "downtown". The fact is the two do have "downtown" districts.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,995,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
All opinions are subjective my friend. There are no other. Knowing both Chicago and New York very well I think you don't grasp the distance in urban development between these two cities. Its a completely different scale.
Based on what you wrote about New York I am pretty sure you have no idea what are you talking about with respect to the city.
I know both cities well because as I frequently go to them. Here's one of my photos to actually back up what I say. Been there and done that my friend.

I know there is more to it than just skyscrapers so spare the boring speech. These are just one of many photos from both cities I just happen to have on hand at the moment. How about you? You have any or should we just take your word for it?

Downtown (Lower Manhattan)

Downtown Chicago

Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Ok but then how can anything north of the Chicago river be considering part of "downtown", since none of that is really CBD as you claim. If you include River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast as downtown Chicago how the he k would you leave out everything south of 14th st in manhattan?

Stop thinking of boundaries and think of skyscraper clusters.

There are three. (not including LIC, Bk, JC, etc.)

Rank in order of visual aesthetic.

If you wanna talk Manhattan and Chicago, theres another.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Stop thinking of boundaries and think of skyscraper clusters.

There are three. (not including LIC, Bk, JC, etc.)

Rank in order of visual aesthetic.

If you wanna talk Manhattan and Chicago, theres another.
Why should downtown = skyscraper clusters?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I know both cities well because as I frequently go to them. Here's one of my photos to actually back up what I say. Been there and done that my friend.

I know there is more to it than just skyscrapers so spare the boring speech. These are just one of many photos from both cities I just happen to have on hand at the moment. How about you? You have any or should we just take your word for it?

Here's mine.

Here's some of downtown:

Concrete Jungle.

It's pink!

Fire escapes are typical for NYC buildings.

Flap your wings!

There's a new tall building there now.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM

555 posts, read 594,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post

Downtown Chicago
Again. Why do you insist on comparing Chicago's downtown to lower Manhattan? Why not Midtown which is New York's financial and cultural center? Why not compare Chicago's Downtown to entire Manhattan all very urban and dense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City