Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,988,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Again. Why do you insist on comparing Chicago's downtown to lower Manhattan? Why not Midtown which is New York's financial and cultural center? Why not compare Chicago's Downtown to entire Manhattan all very urban and dense?
Because "Midtown" is not "Downtown". You believe what you want but I'm go by what the city's definition of "downtown" Manhattan as well as other more credible sources not based on opinionated bias by a few people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
You can't seriously be that unable to comprehend this, can you? If your that hell bent on naming conventions, there is no neighborhood in chicago called downtown, i guess Chicago,doesn't have a downtown, right
You obviously can't comprehend the title of this thread which only mentions "downtown" not any other area of Manhattan. It's one thing if it was titled "Manhattan" vs Downtown Chicago but it doesn't say that. The boundaries marked by the city is what it is not based on feelings or opinions. If you have a problem with the official definition of "Downtown" (lower Manhattan) then take it up with the city. Also I didn't mention anything about downtown Chicago being a neighborhood. I only gave an example that adding another area outside of Downtown Manhattan to include Midtown is like going outside of downtown Chicago. Just so you know the city of Chicago has an official definition of the city's downtown boundaries. The thread is about comparing "downtowns". How hard is that understand?

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-15-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
For somebody with the name "urbanologist" he sure knows very little about urbanity.
I've lived in other countries and been to enough cities to know what's what. You have no clue about my personal life experience.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No it's not. Outside of downtown Chicago, the structural and job density goes down quickly. Outside of downtown New York, the structural and job density goes up a bit once you get to the Midtown business district (which has roughly double the number of jobs).

Downtown in the sense of districts with the name "downtown" in it? Or downtown in the general sense of city center area? I don't think the OP realize that Downtown Manhattan was only part of the city core, and the smaller of the two skyscraper districts.

Downtown defined as the district by the city which has nothing to do with using skyscrapers at a boundary marker. Also I mentioned nothing about jobs or structural density. I only gave an example of some suggesting that including Midtown as part of Downtown is like including areas outside the boundaries of "Downtown" Chicago as defined by the city. So the question we need to ask ourselves do we go by city's official definition of what is downtown or do we wet our finger to stick it up in the air to say it feels like downtown? Do we want facts or opinions? Only the city defines the boundaries.

It's anything south of 14th Street according to the city. You even said so in one of your earlier posts so which is it?

Quote:
Yes, but if you say downtown when you're in NYC when you referring to somewhere on 40th street, you would confuse the locals. Saying the Empire State Building is Downtown is incorrect. 14th street is a good boundary, but sometimes more restrictive ones are used: Houston St, perhaps.
14th Street is correct. Even Google has the "Downtown" district boundary marked. > http://goo.gl/maps/mO9Hr

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-15-2013 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 06:59 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,397,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Because "Midtown" is not "Downtown". You believe what you want but I'm go by what the city's definition of "downtown" Manhattan as well as other more credible sources not based on opinionated bias by a few people.

You obviously can't comprehend the title of this thread which only mentions "downtown" not any other area of Manhattan. It's one thing if it was titled "Manhattan" vs Downtown Chicago but it doesn't say that. The boundaries marked by the city is what it is not based on feelings or opinions. If you have a problem with the official definition of "Downtown" (lower Manhattan) then take it up with the city. Also I didn't mention anything about downtown Chicago being a neighborhood. I only gave an example that adding another area outside of Downtown Manhattan to include Midtown is like going outside of downtown Chicago. Just so you know the city of Chicago has an official definition of the city's downtown boundaries. The thread is about comparing "downtowns". How hard is that understand?
It boggles my mind you cannot understand this simple concept: Downtown Manhattan is only a naming convention to refer to the lowest part (down) of the island, based on the American definition of "downtown" (outside NYC) virtually all of manhattan fits the bill of downtown. I guess Chicago doesn't have a downtown since the locals call it the loop, additionally I guess Philly doesn't have a downtown since the locals refer to it as center city.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I've lived in other countries and been to enough cities to know what's what. You have no clue about my personal life experience.
...yet you cannot understand a simple concept of the meaning of the word downtown.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,600,834 times
Quote:
Downtown defined as the district by the city which has nothing to do with using skyscrapers at a boundary marker. Also I mentioned nothing about jobs or structural density. I only gave an example of some suggesting that including Midtown as part of Downtown is like including areas outside the boundaries of "Downtown" Chicago as defined by the city. So the question we need to ask ourselves do we go by city's official definition of what is downtown or do we wet our finger to stick it up in the air to say it feels like downtown? Do we want facts or opinions? Only the city defines the boundaries.

It's anything south of 14th Street according to the city. You even said so in one of your earlier posts so which is it?
Yes, but as been said before, people also use downtown to mean the general heavily commercial city center. Most official city downtown follow something like that closely. New York City does not.

Quote:
14th Street is correct. Even Google has the "Downtown" district boundary marked. > http://goo.gl/maps/mO9Hr
Google boundaries for neighborhoods had accuracy issues. There are also other definitions of Downtown Manhattan:

Within business-related contexts, many people use the term downtown Manhattan to refer only to the Financial District and the corporate offices in the immediate vicinity. For instance, the Business Improvement District managed by the Alliance for Downtown New York defines Downtown as South of Murray Street (essentially South of New York City Hall), which includes the World Trade Center area and the Financial District.

Lower Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
It boggles my mind you cannot understand this simple concept: Downtown Manhattan is only a naming convention to refer to the lowest part (down) of the island, based on the American definition of "downtown" (outside NYC) virtually all of manhattan fits the bill of downtown. I guess Chicago doesn't have a downtown since the locals call it the loop, additionally I guess Philly doesn't have a downtown since the locals refer to it as center city.
NYC's definition of "Downtown" is Lower Manhattan anything south of 14th Street. There's difference when you tell a local I'm Uptown or Downtown. You don't just say downtown. Which one? Downtown Brooklyn or Downtown Manhattan or Midtown. You have to be a bit more specific when saying downtown.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, but as been said before, people also use downtown to mean the general heavily commercial city center. Most official city downtown follow something like that closely. New York City does not.

Google boundaries for neighborhoods had accuracy issues. There are also other definitions of Downtown Manhattan:

Within business-related contexts, many people use the term downtown Manhattan to refer only to the Financial District and the corporate offices in the immediate vicinity. For instance, the Business Improvement District managed by the Alliance for Downtown New York defines Downtown as South of Murray Street (essentially South of New York City Hall), which includes the World Trade Center area and the Financial District.

Lower Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I prefer the local's definition. I also notice seeing signs for Downtown Brooklyn. Compared to American cities that only have one downtown NYC has more CBD's which can be confusing when throwing the term around loosely.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
NYC's definition of "Downtown" is Lower Manhattan anything south of 14th Street. There's difference when you tell a local I'm Uptown or Downtown. You don't just say downtown. Which one? Downtown Brooklyn or Downtown Manhattan or Midtown. You have to be a bit more specific when saying downtown.
As unbelievable as it is, You still don't get it.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,305,893 times
Quote:
You got the NY definition right. Now can you tell us what is "Downtown Chicago"? I Wiki-ed it but couldn't find anything. I see articles on the Loop, Near North Side, Near West Side etc but nothing on "Downtown Chicago". So it seems like you are comparing an existing entity (Downtown Manhattan) against a non-existing one (Downtown Chicago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City