Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM

555 posts, read 593,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I know both cities well because as I frequently go to them. Here's one of my photos to actually back up what I say. Been there and done that my friend.

I know there is more to it than just skyscrapers so spare the boring speech. These are just one of many photos from both cities I just happen to have on hand at the moment. How about you? You have any or should we just take your word for it?

Downtown (Lower Manhattan)

Downtown Chicago
No. I will prove my knowledge of Chicago and New York by posting pictures from my trips lol.
Every of your posts show how little you know about New York.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM

555 posts, read 593,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Ok but then how can anything north of the Chicago river be considering part of "downtown", since none of that is really CBD as you claim. If you include River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast as downtown Chicago how the he k would you leave out everything south of 14th st in manhattan?
Because he thinks its 1850 so New York is just Manhattan and its downtown is still located in lower Manhattan only lol

Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,667,264 times
Quote:
It's like me including urban areas beyond downtown Chicago all the way towards Evanston which has no relevance to the topic of this thread.
No it's not. Outside of downtown Chicago, the structural and job density goes down quickly. Outside of downtown New York, the structural and job density goes up a bit once you get to the Midtown business district (which has roughly double the number of jobs).

Quote:
If you're going argue at least stick to the topic of this thread which only focuses on "downtown". The fact is the two do have "downtown" districts.
Downtown in the sense of districts with the name "downtown" in it? Or downtown in the general sense of city center area? I don't think the OP realize that Downtown Manhattan was only part of the city core, and the smaller of the two skyscraper districts.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Because he thinks its 1850 so New York is just Manhattan and its downtown is still located in lower Manhattan only lol
Center moved up towards Midtown sometime during the early to mid 20th century. Started around 1910 (helped by subways and railroad stations) and continued till 1950 or 1960.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM

517 posts, read 680,447 times
"Downtown" in the case of NYC, is Manhattan. If you want to be super-specific, Midtown is the most "Downtown" part of Manhattan, though everything south of 60th Street is commercial all the way to the Battery.

"Downtown" in the local NYC-speak, though, means everything South of 14th Street, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the typical connotation of "central business district". It's just a geographic indicator.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
"Downtown" in the case of NYC, is Manhattan. If you want to be super-specific, Midtown is the most "Downtown" part of Manhattan, though everything south of 60th Street is commercial all the way to the Battery.
I won't call it just commercial, it also has about 600,000 residents. On the west and east sides, it gets a bit more neighborhoody.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+...26.93,,0,-6.12

Well stores on the lower floors, but it's Manhattan.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Perry...89.16,,0,-4.33

Old 07-15-2013, 01:12 PM

517 posts, read 680,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I won't call it just commercial, it also has about 600,000 residents. On the west and east sides, it gets a bit more neighborhoody.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+...26.93,,0,-6.12

Well stores on the lower floors, but it's Manhattan.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Perry...89.16,,0,-4.33
I mean primarily commercial. Obviously all of Manhattan is the "core", but if you want to be more specific, the part south of 60th is more commercial-heavy than north of 60th, though they are all "core."

Old 07-15-2013, 04:11 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,400,581 times
Quote:
I only identified the areas of Manhattan which were downtown (Lower Manhattan), Midtown, and Uptown as these areas are different districts. Now you're changing your argument about which area has the most culture and business which has nothing to do with with my original point. Now your going off topic. The topic of this thread is "who has a better downtown newyork or chicago" not "who has a better midtown newyork or chicago". This is not about Midtown Manhattan. I simply identified lower Manhattan (downtown) and you bring up another district for comparison which is not downtown. It's like me including urban areas beyond downtown Chicago all the way towards Evanston which has no relevance to the topic of this thread. If you're going argue at least stick to the topic of this thread which only focuses on "downtown". The fact is the two do have "downtown" districts.
You can't seriously be that unable to comprehend this, can you? If your that hell bent on naming conventions, there is no neighborhood in chicago called downtown, i guess Chicago,doesn't have a downtown, right

Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,400,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
For somebody with the name "urbanologist" he sure knows very little about urbanity.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,580,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post

"Downtown" in the local NYC-speak, though, means everything South of 14th Street, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the typical connotation of "central business district". It's just a geographic indicator.
Ummm... some of Manhattan's best neighborhoods are in that area. What are you talking about? Midtown to Downtown there is a pretty large size gap of residential zones. I mean do they have shops and stuff? Yes of course, b/c they are some of the best examples of bustling residential neighborhoods in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City