Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cosmopolitan?
Chicago 34 28.10%
San Francisco 27 22.31%
Toronto 42 34.71%
Washington D.C. 18 14.88%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Marothisu - top notch post!
Thanks. I guess it kind of bugs me how people automatically assume these things. These things in reality are very hard to measure with tons of factors, and that's why I brought up the foreign born population as an example. They are great, great statistics, but at the end of the day it's just as complicated as anything else. Having 2000 more foreign born Belizeans in one area versus another doesn't automatically mean that community knows more about Belize and the culture(s) there than another place. Again, many factors like segration of the group in the community, willingness to share their culture with the community, the community's willingness to learn about them and embrace it, business that cater towards the culture (i.e. a museum, restaurant, store, etc), events from the culture, etc. People and society are complicated things when measuring these things - the general numbers only tell part of the story.

I can remember where I grew up didn't have tons of foreign born people like NYC, but there was a sizable group from Cambodia and Vietnam. They were willing and eager to teach us all about their countries and cultures, and we were willing to learn about it. We also didn't have a lot of foreign born Mexicans where I grew up at the time, but my best friend growing up had a mom from Mexico who taught me a LOT about the culture. If you look at the numbers for where I grew up, you may just say that I know nothing about these countries which was not true when I moved away. Then again, the experience in each place is different. There were people I knew who didn't have as many Cambodian friends as I did. Just one reason though that integration is important in society as long as people aren't *******s about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:33 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
There's some validity to this. I do agree not everyone has fully taken advantage being in such a milieu but I can't really say for the most part people stick together exclusively. I see and experience it everyday and as you know I've lived here many years too and my experiences trump yours cuz I've been here longer and more recently - I kid, I kid Ed but i'm not just saying this to present a bunch of platitudes - I really do feel this way but yeah what city can't have more integration. In that regard always room for improvement.

As for Toronto's cultural institutions being underrated, perhaps by Americans simply because the city is in another country. We have to give some leeway to this. Its not surprising that you have Americans in here stating that Toronto's cultural institutions aren't as renown as x city - well sure largely because they are probably not all that familiar with them. Its also a matter of interests which could sway a person for one place over the other. Its not because its cultural prowess is greater, its just that they are more interested in the cultural institutions of one place over the other or simply other personal reasons for their bias.
I can totally accept that, even if it was a bit tongue in cheek. I definitely do not think people in Toronto segregate themselves in Toronto more than anywhere else that faces a large influx of people from elsewhere, but rather that most people tend to stick to what is comfortable and never get past the surface when learning about people from different background than themselves. I know alot of very smart and cultured people in Toronto that love to speak about the diversity, but if you get past the surface observations they really dont know much. To me that is not the definition of being cosmopolitan.

This is not a Toronto specific thing either. Some of the least worldly people I have met in my life where during my time living in NYC. Great city where the world comes to gather, but they didnt know much beyond their block that they grew up on. You really have to put in alot of effort to really learn about another culture, most folks just stick to the window dressing and are satisfied with that.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:34 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Thanks. I guess it kind of bugs me how people automatically assume these things. These things in reality are very hard to measure with tons of factors, and that's why I brought up the foreign born population as an example. They are great, great statistics, but at the end of the day it's just as complicated as anything else. Having 2000 more foreign born Belizeans in one area versus another doesn't automatically mean that community knows more about Belize and the culture(s) there than another place. Again, many factors like segration of the group in the community, willingness to share their culture with the community, the community's willingness to learn about them and embrace it, business that cater towards the culture (i.e. a museum, restaurant, store, etc), events from the culture, etc. People and society are complicated things when measuring these things - the general numbers only tell part of the story.

I can remember where I grew up didn't have tons of foreign born people like NYC, but there was a sizable group from Cambodia and Vietnam. They were willing and eager to teach us all about their countries and cultures, and we were willing to learn about it. We also didn't have a lot of foreign born Mexicans where I grew up at the time, but my best friend growing up had a mom from Mexico who taught me a LOT about the culture. If you look at the numbers for where I grew up, you may just say that I know nothing about these countries which was not true when I moved away. Then again, the experience in each place is different. There were people I knew who didn't have as many Cambodian friends as I did. Just one reason though that integration is important in society as long as people aren't *******s about it.
Exposure is important and not just in the community but in the workplace.. I wouldn't have gone to Portugal, Sri Lanka and soon Indonesia if not for my coworkers! They have actually brought in their native food when we have lunch and also inspired me to travel to their homeland so I can take it up a notch and eat the food in the motherland and compare how good we do it here

Another good way to increase exposure in this day and age is technology. I've met many friends in Toronto over the years (lovers too lol) from all kinds of different cultures and ethnicies online! I don't know, maybe i'm more friendly and open than most people haha.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-06-2016 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Another excellent post, I completely agree.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I can totally accept that, even if it was a bit tongue in cheek. I definitely do not think people in Toronto segregate themselves in Toronto more than anywhere else that faces a large influx of people from elsewhere, but rather that most people tend to stick to what is comfortable and never get past the surface when learning about people from different background than themselves. I know alot of very smart and cultured people in Toronto that love to speak about the diversity, but if you get past the surface observations they really dont know much. To me that is not the definition of being cosmopolitan.

This is not a Toronto specific thing either. Some of the least worldly people I have met in my life where during my time living in NYC. Great city where the world comes to gather, but they didnt know much beyond their block that they grew up on. You really have to put in alot of effort to really learn about another culture, most folks just stick to the window dressing and are satisfied with that.
Oh for sure and you just get people who are comfortable sticking to their own. They are BORING lol.. I'm as white anglo looking as genetically possible but I married a nice mulatto Venezuelan. Anyway, I do think that you do need to have a certain mix of cultures in a place for these things to stew though. I still can't imagine if I lived in 1956 Toronto i'd be as comfortable with diversity as I am in 2016 Toronto. I certainly wouldn't have met my man from Maturin.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-06-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Oh for sure and you just get people who are comfortable sticking to their own. They are BORING lol.. I do think that you do need to have a certain mix of cultures in a place for these things to stew though. I still can't imagine if I lived in 1956 Toronto i'd be as comfortable with diversity as I am in 2016 Toronto.
That I would agree with and also imagine eating in Toronto back then compared to now? Talk about BLAND! (Even though I still am on a life long journey to find legit food from my home country, lol)

So the mixture has to be there and for people like yourself that truly want to learn about others, a place like Toronto must be a joy to live in. Thankfully many cities are pretty damn diverse in their own ways these days, so you dont have to be around the biggest community to share in that joy.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
That I would agree with and also imagine eating in Toronto back then compared to now? Talk about BLAND! (Even though I still am on a life long journey to find legit food from my home country, lol)

So the mixture has to be there and for people like yourself that truly want to learn about others, a place like Toronto must be a joy to live in. Thankfully many cities are pretty damn diverse in their own ways these days, so you dont have to be around the biggest community to share in that joy.
No I don't want to imagine what food was like in Toronto back then! Oddly enough, its only recently that I have grown to really appreciate cuisine. I was a stick in my 20's but i'm making up for it in late 30's!!

Btw have you been to the Real Jerk? Rihanna and Drake filmed a music video there. The one by Gerrard Square. I've never been. I've had Mister Jerk of course but that's because my Jamaican friend eats it all the time.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM

Ed this is the one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1UzIK-flA

Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
No I don't want to imagine what food was like in Toronto back then! Oddly enough, its only recently that I have grown to really appreciate cuisine. I was a stick in my 20's but i'm making up for it in late 30's!!

Btw have you been to the Real Jerk? Rihanna and Drake filmed a music video there. The one by Gerrard Square. I've never been. I've had Mister Jerk of course but that's because my Jamaican friend eats it all the time.
Yup! Very familiar with The Real Jerk, even in its original location on Greenwood. I have never cared for their food, but they used to host some great events back in the day and it seems like they are getting back to that formula again with their new store.

The MR. Jerk in Peanut Plaza is decent and pretty much the closest thing to decent Jerk Pork I have tried in TO. So your friend isnt leading you astray. Sometimes you have an itch to scratch and decent will do.

Glad you are into food now, Toronto's food scene has really taken the next step over the past 5 years. Good time to make the jump.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
If you don't like that we are comparing foreign born populations and diversity then it is time for you to get out of this thread because that is all this thread is and will remain to be. That wont be changing, regardless of your little speeches. If it is not for you then you're better suited to making your own topic.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-06-2016 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City