Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cosmopolitan?
Chicago 34 28.10%
San Francisco 27 22.31%
Toronto 42 34.71%
Washington D.C. 18 14.88%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Cosmopolitan - familiar with and at ease in many different countries and cultures.
So, the Bay Area isn't familiar with "many different countries and cultures"? It's a pretty simple question and answer. Yes or no. If you answer no, nothing else is needed.

The rest of your answer is non-responsive.

And to Monty, is DC not familiar with "many different countries and cultures?"

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 03-03-2016 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
California Total Population 2010: 37,253,956 people
California Black Population 2010: 2,299,072 people

Really......SMH.......
Meh. 2.3 million black people is a huge amount of black people.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
So, the Bay Area isn't familiar with "many different countries and cultures"? It's a pretty simple question and answer.

The rest of your answer is non-responsive BTW.
I said it is familiar with the countries and continents that seem to be the most popular in this world which as usual doesn't include Africa or Black people. Watch the news, read a newspaper, read a book, its everywhere and you know exactly what I mean. Shoot, look at the presidential election right now and the topics that are being covered....SMH......

I'm sorry but it really bugs me when I see people everywhere including this forum act like a certain segment of the population doesn't exist. I made the same comment when I addressed the Baltimore vs. Austin thread when people were saying nightlife is better in Austin compared to Baltimore when the reality was nightlife was only better for certain races. To them, those were the only races that mattered clearly when they made those observations. That seems to be how most people look at the world though so....

Old 03-03-2016, 10:35 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
You call 6.7% the smallest? LOL...no that is non-existent. I would tell you to go out and meet some black people, but there are barely any for you to meet which explains your outlook on the world and this entire thread. Do you even know any black people?
But the DC CSA having 8% Asians is existent? What's your cutoff?

Yeah I do actually, aside from some friends every single race is represented in my extended family. Is it in your yours? Do you actually have non-black friends or family members?

The part of the Bay Area where I live, the part where I work, and the part where most of my family is from actually has a significant amount of black people. So try not to make so many assumptions and sound so ignorant all the time.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
I said it is familiar with the countries and continents that seem to be the most popular in this world which as usual doesn't include Africa or Black people. Watch the news, read a newspaper, read a book, its everywhere and you know exactly what I mean. Shoot, look at the presidential election right now and the topics that are being covered....SMH......

I'm sorry but it really bugs me when I see people everywhere including this forum act like a certain segment of the population doesn't exist. I made the same comment when I addressed the Baltimore vs. Austin thread when people were saying nightlife is better in Austin compared to Baltimore when the reality was nightlife was only better for certain races. To them, those were the only races that mattered clearly when they made those observations. That seems to be how most people look at the world though so....
You need to get over this chip on your shoulder. Your view of the world comes off as so narrow.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:

As much as I actually agree with you on a lot of these things, this is still a non-responsive answer.

Is it cosmopolitan, yes or no?

Old 03-03-2016, 10:42 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I reckon the hyperbole in this topic is what's disrailing this topic rather than what's being discussed.

Why not just take these on some factors of many as part of the discussion? Sure, the Bay Area does not have a large black population, but it is still very diverse in terms of ethnicities, languages spoken, and foreign-born population. The Bay Area also is not actively driving out its black population per se--it's the ridiculous cost of living that is driving out all kinds of people who can either no longer afford the area or were long-time residents from days when the cost of living was way down and it made more sense for the long term middle and working class residents who owned to cash out.

DC is not as diverse in total numbers sense, but that doesn't mean it isn't diverse either. It hs both a larger and more diverse black population than the Bay Area, but also many people from other parts of the world.

You can weigh them as you like, but the vitriol doesn't seem warranted and there is not some kind of vast conspiracy against or for one group or another in either region.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
But the DC CSA having 8% Asians is existent? What's your cutoff?

Yeah I do actually, aside from some friends every single race is represented in my extended family. Is it in your yours? Do you actually have non-black friends or family members?

The part of the Bay Area where I live, the part where I work, and the part where most of my family is from actually has a significant amount of black people. So try not to make so many assumptions and sound so ignorant all the time.
I'll put it like this. If having only 9.7% (by the way) Asians in the D.C. area contributed to a lack of opportunity or glass ceiling in the workplace for them, then I would say yes that is a problem. You seem to have missed the connection I have been making this entire time. This has not been about just the total amount of a certain race living in the metro area. This has been about everything in life for people of that race including entertainment, job prospects, etc., which unfortunately, has more to do with the amount of African American's in position's of power in the business world for that metro area. The job climate in America for black people is only accessible when we make up large numbers in the professional job force there. That is just a fact.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-03-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I reckon the hyperbole in this topic is what's disrailing this topic rather than what's being discussed.

Why not just take these on some factors of many as part of the discussion? Sure, the Bay Area does not have a large black population, but it is still very diverse in terms of ethnicities, languages spoken, and foreign-born population. The Bay Area also is not actively driving out its black population per se--it's the ridiculous cost of living that is driving out all kinds of people who can either no longer afford the area or were long-time residents from days when the cost of living was way down and it made more sense for the long term middle and working class residents who owned to cash out.

DC is not as diverse in total numbers sense, but that doesn't mean it isn't diverse either. It hs both a larger and more diverse black population than the Bay Area, but also many people from other parts of the world.

You can weigh them as you like, but the vitriol doesn't seem warranted and there is not some kind of vast conspiracy against or for one group or another in either region.
This is why Toronto probably wins this thread, IMO.

Being the largest city of a country gives Toronto advantages that the other three cities don't have. It's not just the diversity, but also its international contacts are pretty wide given its primary city nature.

But the gap between Toronto and the rest of the cities isn't that wide either. Obviously DC being the capital, and SF being the tech center and CHI being a major city gives them certain advantages as well.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
As much as I actually agree with you on a lot of these things, this is still a non-responsive answer.

Is it cosmopolitan, yes or no?
Actually I will say yes, but not on the level of D.C. Why? Because Africa counts. We have a more even split than The Bay.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-03-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City