Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cosmopolitan?
Chicago 34 28.10%
San Francisco 27 22.31%
Toronto 42 34.71%
Washington D.C. 18 14.88%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:50 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Hahaha you think Blacks are making a "killing" selling their DC house and moving away?

Newsflash: Thats been happening in SF( a far more expensive city than DC) for decades.

You keep failing because you apply a double standard to SF that just doesnt fit, but Im not surprised because you just cant admit defeat.

Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
This thread had an insane amount of potential too. I would've loved to compared Chicago's cosmopolitanism vs Toronto's.

We all seem to be hung up on diversity, which is only one component of cosmopolitanism. Again, Tokyo and Hong Kong are the opposite of diverse by Western standards but you'd be an idiot to not think they weren't cosmopolitan.

Of course what we have here are a few posters talking past each other, seeing who can get the last word in.
I think there was a thread specifically addressing this between Toronto and Chicago and with Toronto's biggest asset being its extremely large and diverse foreign-born population and Chicago's arguments being an arguably better-known city worldwide, larger number of large corporate headquarters, and having more renowned civic institutions (colleges, museum, and performing arts companies).

Old 03-03-2016, 08:54 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You need to open your eyes:
L.A. Gang Waged War To Eliminate Black People - Hip-Hop and Politics

You are clearly oblivious to what has been happening around you, but black people know what is happening over there. I'll pass and clearly many more of my people will also. This has been talked about in the black community for sometime now. You probably wouldn't know that but it's common knowledge. We are doing just fine on the side and we don't have to worry about stuff like this ignorance.
You need to reread my post. You made a claim that black people are not moving to the suburbs in western metro's, I just showed you four articles over the course of the last 15 years in the Bay Area showing examples they are. I'm sure you could find the same articles about LA and the High Desert/Inland Empire communities. But of course you ignore that and focus on some some Latino gang trying to eliminate blacks from some small inner city in LA. And you try to extend that to the entire western US? Are you serious? Also I'm aware of the racial tensions/issues between Latino's and blacks in LA, it isn't exactly a secret and has been well publicized before. LOL, you actually thought that was something only blacks we're aware of?

LA isn't the topic here or part of this thread so why are you bringing it up? If you think stuff like that is happening in the Bay Area then you're showing you're even more clueless about this region than you already appear to be. What would you honestly know about the black community in the Bay Area or LA aside from what you read on City-Data? Get off the internet once in a while. You think because you're black you know everything about blacks everywhere?

And another thing, why is that the only race you ever talk about? You seem to actually not know what true diversity is or what integration is because all you talk about is black people. Your world looks rather sad if involves mostly associating with just one race because it doesn't seem like you have much experience with any other races asides from Blacks.

Either way you're wrong about blacks not moving to the suburbs from the inner cities in the Bay Area, or LA for that matter too. Did the black community forget to mention that to you?

Last edited by sav858; 03-03-2016 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think there was a thread specifically addressing this between Toronto and Chicago and with Toronto's biggest asset being its extremely large and diverse foreign-born population and Chicago's arguments being an arguably better-known city worldwide, larger number of large corporate headquarters, and having more renowned civic institutions (colleges, museum, and performing arts companies).
Yeah, it would've been nice to see those arguments being reapplied to DC and SF, instead of whatever this thread has turned into. Devolving into a p*ssing contest.

And as an aside, I love the characterization of California being a warzone with ethnic militias ethnically cleansing people. As an actual victim of ethnic cleansing (with plenty of my family members shot for being the wrong religion), I find that insanely hillarious.

https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/...c2010br-06.pdf

California Black Population

2000: 2,263,882
2010: 2,299,072
CHANGE: +35,190

California Black and in combination population

2000: 2,513,041
2010: 2,583,914
CHANGE: +70,873

Sounds like the ex-Yugoslavia and Nazi Germany to me!

And the nice characterization of all Asians being the same. 56% of the planet. All the same. That isn't insanely racist at all.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Since you seem to think San Fran has something for black people, answer this:
No, what I am saying is that to say that California is somehow especially hostile towards Blacks, is absolute BS.

For that to be true, some other things have to be true:

Blacks have to be far wealthier, far better educated, have far lower rates of incarceration everywhere else in the United States: Are they? Not really.

Furthermore, DC is hardly the poster child for equality either:

HURT: Racism lives in D.C.'s heart when it comes to redistricting - Washington Times

DC Area Richest, Most Educated & Racist | Sweetness & Light

Racism is Still Alive! And it’s Right in D.C.! | Danithedreamgirl

Obama Ignores Shocking Racism In Capital Transit System - Judicial Watch

Decorated Marine vet attacked in D.C. McDonald's: 'Stop the racism'

Death Threat Made Against Howard University Students - City Desk

https://www.rt.com/in-motion/193304-...test-ferguson/

https://bcnn1wp.wordpress.com/2015/1...in-georgetown/

And so forth.

So spare us the hypocrisy and finger pointing because you dont have your sh*t together enough to tell me anything.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
And the nice characterization of all Asians being the same. 56% of the planet. All the same. That isn't insanely racist at all.
Genuinely curious, where was that said?

Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Genuinely curious, where was that said?
Something like this

Quote:
I'm sure for White people and Asian people, San Fran is the greatest place on earth

Old 03-03-2016, 09:42 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns. The DC CSA is 77% White or Black. That's not terribly interesting considering those are the two staple groups that have dominated the social and historical landscape of the US for 400+ years. How typical for the South and Northeast.

Here's what's totally atypical for the US. The Bay Area has nearly as many Asians+Hispanics as Whites+Blacks.

Im not even entertaining the notion of DC being more 'diverse' much less cosmopolitan until you have more immigrants than the Bay, until you beat us in the proportion of people who speak a foreign language( currently the Bay Area whallops DC by a margin of 2 to 1 in this regard), until you have no racial majority such as the Bay Area, and then there's the question of not only visibility but empowerment. The Bay Area has about 40% more minority households earning $200,000+ than DC, in fact the Bay edges out LA and is 2nd only to NYC in this regard. We have self made immigrant billionaires, does DC? We have multi billion dollar companies founded by immigrants in the past 30 years or less, immigrants are part of the establishment in the Bay Area, not a science project for liberal activists or an issue to be solved by local legislators.

In DC, minorities and immigrants are zoo exhibits White people brag about to make themselves feel diverse.

In the Bay Area( and really California in general), minorities and immigrants actually run sh*t.
love it! Huge difference between mindset and culture in California metro areas vs those east of the Mississippi.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Is that El Salvador number correct for DC, looks like an anomoly?

Also is this intended to be all countries? I just noticed south Pacific nations Tonga and Samoa missing and they have significant Bay Area populations.

Cool stuff though
Washington's El Salvadoran population is actually pretty well documented. In the United States, usually Puerto Ricans make up the largest Latin American groups in New York, Boston, and Philadelphia. In Miami the largest Latin American group are the Cubans. In Washington, the Salvadorans. Everywhere else in the United States is most represented by Mexico demographically.

I know you travel. Next time you're in the DMV area and in Northern Virginia, more specifically, check out Esmeralda's in Alexandria, Dona Azucena in Arlington, Gloria's on 14th Street, and El Rinconcito in the Northwest section if you're in the District of Columbia itself. I highly recommend getting pupusas in the DMV area, very few places compare (Los Angeles, New York, Houston, and San Francisco Bay Area being the only other ones where it should be "alright" or comparable).

El Salvadoran Population, 2014:
01. Los Angeles CSA: 518,550
02. Washington DC-Baltimore CSA: 336,133
03. New York CSA: 261,097
04. Houston CSA: 191,356
05. San Francisco Bay Area CSA: 122,485
06. Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex CSA: 76,790
07. Boston CSA: 53,413
08. Miami-Fort Lauderdale CSA: 34,935
09. Atlanta CSA: 34,637
10. Philadelphia CSA: 12,566
11. Chicago CSA: 11,439
12. Detroit CSA: 4,201

I would love to have had access to all 214 independent or dependent countries and/or territories of the world but only was able to post all they had. I think about 109, so not bad at all actually.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-03-2016 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
love it! Huge difference between mindset and culture in California metro areas vs those east of the Mississippi.
I think it'll spread to the rest of the country though. East of the Mississippi, non-Blacks and non-Whites have only been moving there since the 1960's and 1970s, as opposed to California where Asians and Hispanic immigrants have been part of the millieu for much longer.

If it continues into the millennial generation, then there's a problem. I extremely doubt it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City