Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern influence?
Baltimore 40 35.40%
St. Louis 73 64.60%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which means the map isn't accurate.

The issue here is that you are COMPLETELY dismissing Black people; forget about them (us) counting "more," they (we) don't count at all in your book. This is borderline, if not outright, racist and you don't even see it. But have at it.
Oh I get it, so blacks are the true measure of dialect in a region huh, not whites. The map is not inaccurate... You just choose to disagree with it, as if you have any better idea of where the true border of the dialect line is. I'm done debating you...you just like to stir the pot to get a reaction out of people. I don't argue with people like that. You don't have a map of African American dialects, so until you do, Labov's map is the most accurate line we have. You think you're more qualified than professional linguists? Go to school and get a degree and wave it in our face then instead of blatantly dismissing dialect studies. I'm done arguing with you. Don't bother me again. And don't call me a racist either. Rather hypocritical of you when you say blacks matter more than whites isn't it?:hamd :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 02:19 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Oh I get it, so blacks are the true measure of dialect in a region huh, not whites. The map is not inaccurate... You just choose to disagree with it, as if you have any better idea of where the true border of the dialect line is. I'm done debating you...you just like to stir the pot to get a reaction out of people. I don't argue with people like that. You don't have a map of African American dialects, so until you do, Labov's map is the most accurate line we have. You think you're more qualified than professional linguists? Go to school and get a degree and wave it in our face then instead of blatantly dismissing dialect studies. I'm done arguing with you. Don't bother me again. And don't call me a racist either. Rather hypocritical of you when you say blacks matter more than whites isn't it?:hamd :
As always, you engage in strawmen fallacies in order to distort others' statements. I never said Blacks are the "true measure of dialect in a region" nor did I ever say we count "more," BUT WE COUNT. You are COMPLETELY dismissive of Black dialects here, and you're being called out about it. Black people are real human beings, we contribute to the culture and identity of cities, and WE COUNT. If you have a problem with me calling your sentiments racist, then oh well...I'm calling it like I see it.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:24 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
As always, you engage in strawmen fallacies in order to distort others' statements. I never said Blacks are the "true measure of dialect in a region" nor did I ever say we count "more," BUT WE COUNT. You are COMPLETELY dismissive of Black dialects here, and you're being called out about it. Black people are real human beings, we contribute to the culture and identity of cities, and WE COUNT. If you have a problem with me calling your sentiments racist, then oh well...I'm calling it like I see it.
Even in Ferguson?

Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,339 times
Quote:
No, 2e1m5a had it right. JFK was basically saying that DC was the worst of both worlds.
It still is the worst of both worlds, Baltimore too... The north/south culture clash is real..

Old 06-29-2016, 04:56 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Even in Ferguson?
Awww... you couldn't help yourself and now your true intentions come out again...

Old 06-29-2016, 05:27 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Awww... you couldn't help yourself and now your true intentions come out again...
I'm guessing you don't know much about BajanYankee.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
It still is the worst of both worlds, Baltimore too... The north/south culture clash is real..
Don't agree about either Baltimore or DC. From a modern standpoint they are Northern with Southern influences.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:45 PM

As for blacks if we are going to use them to classify whether or not cities are more Southern then I guess Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland are all Southern too. Blacks are not the best metric to use in judging whether or not a city is Southern. I'm not a racist like you ignorant people like to claim I am. When blacks migrated to cities like St. Louis and Baltimore and Chicago, they took their Southern culture and accents with them and passed it on through the generations where it still exists today. Most were segregated from whites in these cities and thus never adopted the culture of the cities they currently live in.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What have you said that is in direct contradiction to what I said? I posted a vid of Bmore Blacks and many of them had a variety of accents. Now, can we get off this rhotic debate because honestly it only further proves how places further South influenced Baltimore Black speech.
Aren't parts of the Carolinas rhotic?

Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That's supposed to be very southern? Other than the way he pronounced "gun" with a sort of drawl, he sounded like people from other places in the Midwest to me.
If a black population tied to the Deep South is all STL needs to beat Baltimore, does this mean that Chicago is more southern-influenced, too?

Upthread (and in another thread in this forum), references have been made to an "East Coast" accent. Can someone explain to me what pronunciations come along with that kind of accent? Does it denote an accent like that of NYC, or with a lot of northeastern features?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City