Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better?
Houston 52 27.51%
Pittsburgh 58 30.69%
Denver 79 41.80%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
How has it been weird?
Denver's "too laid back" for his tastes - whatever that means. I've lived in a Type A metro full of workaholics who're all about conspicuous consumption (because other than working, stuffing your face and accumulating pointless crap are the top two things to do there). I'll take Denver over that any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 11:51 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver's "too laid back" for his tastes - whatever that means. I've lived in a Type A metro full of workaholics who're all about conspicuous consumption (because other than working, stuffing your face and accumulating pointless crap are the top two things to do there). I'll take Denver over that any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Oh ok that would make sense then.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Denver

Pittsburgh

Houston

I could live in all three though.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:53 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Houston for everything.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:21 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
quality of life: Pittsburgh - In the Eastern USA with easier access to my family, big "bang for your buck", plenty of outdoor recreation, green, 4 seasons, beautiful housing stock
nightlife: Houston, Denver then Pittsburgh
scenery: Pittsburgh. The city has immediate beautiful green hills and water right within the city. You are immersed in beautiful scenery. Denver it takes a drive to the mountains (which provide only a light backdrop in parts of the cit)
daytime activities/events: No city is a slouch in this area, but I will give the edge to Denver, CO for
shopping/entertainment venues: Probably Houston-Denver tie (Red Rocks is an outstanding venue), then Pittsburgh. For city living, any of these has enough to satisfy me.
overall vibe: For me, Pittsburgh by far (I'm not a huge fan of the "vibe" of Western or Texan cities). I love the historic architecture, cityscape

My vote and preference is for Pittsburgh

Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the "vibe" of Western or Texan cities

My vote and preference is for Pittsburgh
Allow me to second this...

I could see myself giving Denver a shot but it's location is a negative for me. It's isolated and it's in the interior West, in the mountains, and I'm not a fan of either of those things...

If I was to go Texas it wouldn't be Houston, but to be clear, I am not a Texas guy in the least...

Pittsburgh lacks the diversity I prefer and is in the mountains, but it checks much of everything else I'd like. Pittsburgh it is...

Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Allow me to second this...

I could see myself giving Denver a shot but it's location is a negative for me. It's isolated and it's in the interior West, in the mountains, and I'm not a fan of either of those things...

If I was to go Texas it wouldn't be Houston, but to be clear, I am not a Texas guy in the least...

Pittsburgh lacks the diversity I prefer and is in the mountains, but it checks much of everything else I'd like. Pittsburgh it is...
Denver isn't in the mountains. It's on the far western edge of the Great Plains.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
I like all three but would side with Houston....weather, diversity, economy, cost of living.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I like all three but would side with Houston....weather, diversity, economy, cost of living.
See, for me, Houston’s weather is a big negative. Demographics are a huge plus, though.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:18 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Walkability and being able to live well without a car is priorities 1-5 for me. I mean a vibrant, urban neighborhood and being able to walk to the region's main office core as well as everything from department stores to doctor appointments to entertainment. In a shorter radius it means a ton of places to get takeout, coffee, drinks, groceries, etc., within a few blocks. Plus decent transit everywhere else, including to other vibrant neighborhoods and the airport.

Denver is the closest of this group. I could live my way without pretty easily. Though its not quite big enough, its peak densities aren't very high, and the weather is too stark (I'm used to clouds and medium temps). Shopping is a weakness for its core...this matters for the few times per year when I buy something, but also speaks to a downtown's activity level. It's growing but not in the most urban ways...lots of parking podiums and Dallas doughnuts. But growing at a good pace.

Pittsburgh isn't far behind...the core is smaller than Denver's but it adds points by being the most scenic of the three by a factor of 20. Also it has a big 4Y/research university presence in its core. Its core is growing but very slowly...I like places with strong infill pressure, where truly urban buildings fit into difficult spaces, there's more of a new/old mix with constant refreshing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City