Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:47 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah, definitely. It would be nice if there was at least one line that cut across diagonally like the 7 kind of does in Queens. Or at the very least a Shuttle train made to connect parallel lines like in Franklin Ave in Brooklyn.
I think the city should rid cars on crosstown streets and make it a public space with a light rain in between.

Would work well for 14th,23rd, 34th, 42nd and 125th streets.

Or don’t do 125th street but allow the Q train to run cross town until Broadway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:11 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yea but they aren’t tearing them down that much in park slope. Areas like Hell’s Kitchen and even parts of Harlem yea to make way for those large condo style buildings!
I think there will plenty around for the rest of our lives, unless Bushwick, the Southeast Bronx, etc. become super rich and the zoning changes.

Quote:
He could also be talking about areas like Riverdale, Throggs Neck, City Island
I know, but my point was that the outer neighborhoods of those boroughs are not necessarily suburban. I forgot about Coney Island and the surrounding neighborhoods as well. It seems like the only truly suburban Bronx and Brooklyn neigborhoods are the ones that have some sort of geographic constraint preventing it from being more urban (like beach neighborhoods). The exception might be the suburban parts of Riverdale, I'm not sure whether it developed like that due to excessive hilliness, or for the purpose of being suburban.

Quote:
I think the city should rid cars on crosstown streets and make it a public space with a light rain in between.

Would work well for 14th,23rd, 34th, 42nd and 125th streets.

Or don’t do 125th street but allow the Q train to run cross town until Broadway!
For some reason I think that wouldn't work. All those cars have to go somewhere!

Last edited by l1995; 07-12-2018 at 12:42 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think there will plenty around for the rest of our lives, unless Bushwick, the Southeast Bronx, etc. become super rich and the zoning changes.

I know, but my point was that the outer neighborhoods of those boroughs are not necessarily suburban. I forgot about Coney Island and the surrounding neighborhoods as well. It seems like the only truly suburban Bronx and Brooklyn neigborhoods are the ones that have some sort of geographic constraint preventing it from being more urban (like beach neighborhoods). The exception might be the suburban parts of Riverdale, I'm not sure whether it developed like that due to excessive hilliness, or for the purpose of being suburban.

For some reason I think that wouldn't work. All those cars have to go somewhere!
Cars are the biggest problem. As long as they are there it will never be fixed especially buses!

Plus I only listed 4 or 5 streets that have bad congestion issues. The Grid of Manhattan wouldn’t really be harmed by it and a lot of those streets have no turning restrictions. When I worked for the DOT there was actually a study that showed the SBS M60 was actually not running up to speed in the Harlem section of its route!

That street has a whole lot of buses (manhattan and Bronx buses) and even more cars!

Old 07-12-2018, 10:30 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Tie: both are urban in center and suburban in outer with lots of open undeveloped land
Lots of open undeveloped land???

Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
He could also be talking about areas like Riverdale, Throggs Neck, City Island
He could also be the topper

Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Cars are the biggest problem. As long as they are there it will never be fixed especially buses!

Plus I only listed 4 or 5 streets that have bad congestion issues. The Grid of Manhattan wouldn’t really be harmed by it and a lot of those streets have no turning restrictions. When I worked for the DOT there was actually a study that showed the SBS M60 was actually not running up to speed in the Harlem section of its route!

That street has a whole lot of buses (manhattan and Bronx buses) and even more cars!
How about congestion pricing with all revenue levvied to go towards mass transit?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How about congestion pricing with all revenue levvied to go towards mass transit?
I did my capstone on congestion pricing and agree with it 100%. I really don’t understand the people who don’t drive cars who are against it.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Only land I can think of in Brooklyn is Spring Creek which is pretty much about to be 100% habitable in a few years!

Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
Only land I can think of in Brooklyn is Spring Creek which is pretty much about to be 100% habitable in a few years!
actually, saw quite a few, particularly on the eastside of Brooklyn and even some pockets in north Brooklyn. More in Bronx.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
In case you didn't know: NYC is filled with undeveloped land throughout the city. Take a tour! Even Midtown Manhattan you had some next to UN Plaza, but they immediately developed in the last few years.

Last edited by the topper; 07-12-2018 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City