Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 04:15 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Exxagerate much? Memphis gets a bad rep enough but don't overblown it with loose estimates. If anything there's probably so far 400 shootings more or less.
Charlotte had 27 homicides and over 1,400 shots fired calls in the first 3 months of the year, according to CMPD. So Memphis certainly has 5,000+ shots fired calls by now. But most shootings are misses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 04:32 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Wow, it looks like Richmond, VA is gradually progressing back to the early 1990's murder capital statistics after the years of relatively murder rates. SMH. Where are most of the murders occurring in Richmond these days? You would think that all of the gentrification would decrease the murder and violent crime rate in the city. I saw a throwback article the other day talking about how Richmond took the murder capital crown from Washington, DC and New Orleans in 1994 with 161 murders and a rate of around 75 per 100k.
The Southside and the East End...

The East End has the highest concentration of housing projects in Richmond, just one after another after another, and unlike the large concentration Norfolk has, the ones in Richmond are violent on another degree. There is a Chicago-style gang wars going on between East End projects and hoods that's been going on for awhile; by that I don't mean Chicago gangs, but you know how modern Chicago gangs are split and fractured down to "clicks" crews within the larger gangs? The East now has multiple crews/clicks/sets within each project and back block and there is cross-warfare going on...

What I believe is happening that no one is mentioning is that the city is so up and away building up the core that they're neglecting the outer core and leaving these neighborhoods to lawlessness. So much time and law enforcement resources (as well as businesses) are invested in Downtown and surroundings--The Fan, VCU-Monroe Park, Scott's Addition, Carytown, MCV District, Shockoe, Church Hill, Carver, Jackson Ward, Museum District, Byrd Park, basically the attention and resources seem largely directed towards the core 15-20 neighborhoods in Richmond. And because of that, awesome things are happening in the city and our profile is rising. But also because of that, the outer core--the areas that surround the inner core neighborhoods to the east and south--, which have always been harbingers of violence in Rich, are now suffering from neglect and sliding back to the violence that was so natural in the decades of yesteryear...

I will mention that historically, hoods like Jackson Ward, Carver, and Church Hill were some of the absolute worst in the city, yet became trendy 10-12 years ago and are almost fully gentrified. The difference though, is the outer East End (because technically Church Hill and Shockoe are East End Richmond) is so saturated with poverty and housing projects and ghettos, whereas the inner core had far fewer projects and is directly next to downtown; And the Southside hoods like Blackwell, Swansboro, Maury, and the Jeff Davis and Midlothian Turnpike corridors (probably two of the Top 5 worst strips in Richmond), while being geographically close to Downtown, are separated by the river and "outta sight outta mind", as has always been the case of South Richmond in relation to the rest of the city...

I just moved to Norfolk, and of course have been here many times over the years, and there is nothing here like that dynamic in Richmond. The worst areas of Norfolk look great compared to Richmond's worst areas, and historically all the way up to right now, Norfolk has always had lesser violent crime, and I can't figure out why that is. Norfolk does have a high concentration of large housing projects and they do look particularly rough, but I don't think they have the same dynamic as the warring Richmond projects. And there is nothing in Norfolk like Midlothian Turnpike or Jeff Davis, the stretches of those avenues that are complete no-go zones. Its always interesting to hear people's take on Norfolk's perception of violence, because coming from Richmond (And Petersburg), Norfolk definitely has a more inviting climate within its bad areas. Maybe "inviting" is the wrong word, but the scale of tension and trouble is to a lesser degree here...

Old 07-15-2017, 05:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Out of curiousity I calculated from a few miles south of downtown to all the way north (through downtown) and also included all the NW side areas in Chicago for homicides. This forms a continuous geographical area:

Rogers Park, West Ridge, Uptown, Lincoln Square, North Center, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Near North Side, Edison Park, Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, Forest Glen, North Park, Albany Park, Portage Park, Irving Park, Dunning, Montclare, Belmont Cragin, Hermosa, Logan Square, West Town, Near West Side, Lower West Side, Loop, Near South Side, Armour Square, Douglas, Oakland, O'Hare, Edgewater, Bridgeport, McKinley Park

Combined population, as of the 2015 US Census American Community Survey, is 1,439,113 people with a combined homicide count through 7/7/2017 of 36. That per 100K rate is 2.50 per 100K. Through the same time period per year for the same exact area, here were the counts:

2017: 36 homicides
2016: 52
2015: 55
2014: 27
2013: 32
2012: 50
2011: 26
2010: 33
2009: 32
2008: 38
2007: 39
2006: 36
2005: 52
2004: 51
2003: 74
2002: 41
2001: 57

As you can see, it's basically gone back down to the range it was from 2006 to 2011 and a good deal less than both 2015 and 2016 as well as pre 2006.

This is meant to illustrate how much of a tale of two cities this is and how segregated even the major crime is in the city for vast swaths. By contrast, the community area of Austin, with a 2015 population of 97,643, has 45 homicides. Yes, you are reading that correctly. An area of just under 100K in Chicago has nearly 10 more homicides than a continuous geographic area of over 1.4 million people combined so far this year (well, at least through 7/7).

It's ridiculous, but completely valid in my opinion to illustrate this statistic. People are influenced by their daily lives as far as feeling safe or unsafe. I can hear all I want about homicide going down in Newark or East New York, but it doesn't affect my reality as I don't hang out anywhere close to those areas. My sense of security, and anybody's really, is affected by what they experience in real life first hand everyday.

Most people in any city (doesn't matter which one) mostly just hang out in a small handful of areas. The average person who lives in Manhattan is probably not hanging out in Gravesend in Brooklyn, so why would their personal sense of security or whatever be swayed by it (Gravesend is not dangerous, just for the record). People who live in Irving Park in Chicago are not going to hang out in Englewood or Austin. Your feeling of safety is determined by where you actually are spending your daily life. The pure fact is, no matter how much you want to fight this, is that Chicago is very segregated when it comes to even crime and for the majority of these 1.43 million people, they aren't on average feeling like they live in a city where someone is getting shot. If they had no access to the news, most of the people in these areas would never realize it. This isn't necessarily a good thing for the areas that are suffering though - it makes people numb to what's going on.

On the flip side, there are about maybe 600 or 700K people in Chicago who live in high crime areas and THEIR reality is that the city is extremely dangerous. The main point is - it completely depends on where you live or where you spend most of your time. Chicago is no different than any other city in the world, but the reality is that for over half of the population they live in one of the safest areas in the country (statistically when you look at these areas, it's true) but for tons of other people, they live in one of the most dangerous. It's completely asinine to look at any city and have your personal sense of safety swayed by an area that is 15 miles from you that you have literally never driven through or stepped foot in whether that's a good area or a bad area.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-15-2017 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 07:58 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Montreal is now at 11

Old 07-16-2017, 09:40 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Montreal is now at 11
Is that for the whole Island, the (old) city proper or the metro area?

Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Charlotte had 27 homicides and over 1,400 shots fired calls in the first 3 months of the year, according to CMPD. So Memphis certainly has 5,000+ shots fired calls by now. But most shootings are misses.
Can you provide a link? I think you maybe looking at the entire metro instead city proper. I would generally say it 3-5 times the shooting for Memphis homicides therefore 400-500 shooting victims and misses. But 5,000+ estimate seems overblown. I'll take it high up to 600-700 shootings overall call to dispatchers.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Can you provide a link? I think you maybe looking at the entire metro instead city proper. I would generally say it 3-5 times the shooting for Memphis homicides therefore 400-500 shooting victims and misses. But 5,000+ estimate seems overblown. I'll take it high up to 600-700 shootings overall call to dispatchers.
It covers CMPD's jurisdiction. There were 27 homicides and 1,434 shots fired calls in the first 3 months of 2017 (16 a day). 1 in 53.11 shootings produced a homicide.
As Charlotte's homicide numbers double, other violent crime incr - | WBTV Charlotte

And in St. Paul there were 12 homicides and 647 shots fired calls through June 15, 2017. 1 in 53.91 shootings produced a homicide.
St. Paul in ‘public health crisis’ as gunshots, violence increase, Axtell says – Twin Cities

Chicago in 2008 averaged 87 shots fired calls a day according to a CPD officer. This year that number is probably well into the 100's every day. 1 in 62.38 shootings produced a homicide. So there should be 23-24k shots fired calls so far (120 or so a day).

Memphis has 107 homicides so far. Using these same stats, Memphis should have 5,600-6,700 shots fired calls so far this year (28-34 shots fired calls a day).

Last edited by joeyg2014; 07-16-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
It covers CMPD's jurisdiction. There were 27 homicides and 1,434 shots fired calls in the first 3 months of 2017 (16 a day). 1 in 53.11 shootings produced a homicide.
As Charlotte's homicide numbers double, other violent crime incr - | WBTV Charlotte

And in St. Paul there were 12 homicides and 647 shots fired calls through June 15, 2017. 1 in 53.91 shootings produced a homicide.
St. Paul in ‘public health crisis’ as gunshots, violence increase, Axtell says – Twin Cities

Chicago in 2008 averaged 87 shots fired calls a day according to a CPD officer. This year that number is probably well into the 100's every day. 1 in 62.38 shootings produced a homicide. So there should be 23-24k shots fired calls so far (120 or so a day).

Memphis has 107 homicides so far. Using these same stats, Memphis should have 5,600-6,700 shots fired calls so far this year (28-34 shots fired calls a day).
Alright and just Charlotte please. Until Memphis police provide a reporting by the number of calls made for shootings , making eatimates base on other cities scenarios is baseless. Also people may call in regard to the "sound" of gunshots when it's not the xase. Just to keep in mind.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Alright and just Charlotte please. Until Memphis police provide a reporting by the number of calls made for shootings , making eatimates base on other cities scenarios is baseless. Also people may call in regard to the "sound" of gunshots when it's not the xase. Just to keep in mind.
I don't see why Memphis would be so different from Charlotte, St Paul or Chicago.

I'm not sure about people confusing the sound of gunshots for something else as a means to explain away the high numbers. And I'm not so sure how it works, but I would think the police are able to determine whether or not it was actually a shooting before it's officially recorded as one in the crime statistics. I just can't see multiple units responding lights and sirens code three multiple times a day to a car backfiring in the driveway.

Of the 1,434 shootings in Charlotte in the first 3 months, 130 of those were shots fired just into homes. It's easy to tell if shots were fired into a home when there are bullet holes in the house.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 07-16-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I don't see why Memphis would be so different from Charlotte, St Paul or Chicago.

I'm not sure about people confusing the sound of gunshots for something else as a means to explain away the high numbers. And I'm not so sure how it works, but I would think the police are able to determine whether or not it was actually a shooting before it's officially recorded as one in the crime statistics. I just can't see multiple units responding lights and sirens code three multiple times a day to a car backfiring in the driveway.

Of the 1,434 shootings in Charlotte in the first 3 months, 130 of those were shots fired just into homes. It's easy to tell if shots were fired into a home when there are bullet holes in the house.
Simple. Memphis doesn't have the same infrastructure nor criminal element as those cities ( excluding Chicago mobs of course). People tend to miistake loud bangs/pops often and police still have to check to confirm along with other minor non threatening incidents ( Again not counter arguing just another variable per say).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City