Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the 2016 census estimates for PCSAs as it pertains to how your PCSA performed
Euphoria 2 3.23%
Excitement 11 17.74%
Satisfaction 14 22.58%
Average 9 14.52%
Disappointment 17 27.42%
Frustration 5 8.06%
Other 4 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Well articulated and I agree with your first two points, though your first point illustrates how CSAs/MSAs can grossly overreach, due to being based at the county level.

UAs aren't perfect, but I'm not yet sold that Baltimore and DC are "one entity", as an MSA would suggest.
One MSA no, but its definitely closer to one mega region with two city power centers, than it is to two completely and unrelated separate places. The cross commuting is intense enough for this which is why it qualifies as a CSA. In fact in another 30 years Richmond, Va may come into the fold as a third prong to this discussion depending on how growth pans out.

DC-Baltimore is much more similar to the relationship of SF Bay Area or Dallas-Fort worth, than is NY-Philly or Chicago-Milwaukee.

I would rank it like this in terms of closeness/connected:

1. Dallas-Ft Worth
2. SF/Oak/SJ

3. DC-Baltimore

4. NYC/NJ/Philly
5. Chicago-Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 02:23 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
And the drive from Ventura, CA to Needles, CA is 315 miles.
Yes but that's 3 MSAs, Riverside, LA and Oxnard.

My post referred to just 1 MSA, NY.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:29 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
One MSA no, but its definitely closer to one mega region with two city power centers, than it is to two completely and unrelated separate places. The cross commuting is intense enough for this which is why it qualifies as a CSA. In fact in another 30 years Richmond, Va may come into the fold as a third prong to this discussion depending on how growth pans out.

DC-Baltimore is much more similar to the relationship of SF Bay Area or Dallas-Fort worth, than is NY-Philly or Chicago-Milwaukee.

1. Dallas-Ft Worth
2. SF/Oak/SJ

3. DC-Baltimore

4. NYC/NJ/Philly
5. Chicago-Milwaukee
The closeness between Chicago and Milwaukee is frankly overblown. Some sprawl is starting to touch each other, but there's still 95 miles separating downtown Chicago from downtown Milwaukee.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Except Denton *is* included in the Dallas UA. Read page 9.
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Were talking about two different things. I'm talking about UAs as defined by the US. You are talking about them as defined by the UN, iirc. I've seen that report before, though I now forget the publisher

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2017 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes but that's 3 MSAs, Riverside, LA and Oxnard.

My post referred to just 1 MSA, NY.
I still don't see your point. The New York MSA has nearly 7 million more people than Los Angeles'--there should be a larger geographic footprint from extreme points. And it's not as if LA's MSA is so much tidier--it's over 140 miles from NE LA County to Southern Orange County.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Were talking about two different things. I'm talking about UAs as defined by the US. You are talking about them as defined by the UN, iirc. I've seen that report before, though I now forget the publisher
Well keep in mind that US Urban Areas are only defined every 10 years. Denton grew over 40% from 2000 to 2010 alone. If it was excluded in the 2010 Dallas definition, it probably won't be in 2020, given its growth.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

1. Dallas-Ft Worth
2. SF/Oak/SJ

3. DC-Baltimore

4. NYC/NJ/Philly
5. Chicago-Milwaukee
The LA CSA is definitely 1 region and really in my opinion more in line with a MSA vs any other CSA and tied with the Bay area. This image constitutes approximately a contiguous area of 17.5 million people in an area under 3k sq miles.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I still don't see your point.
Exactly what I said. LA gets a bad rap for spanning a wide area but HELLO? The NY MSA is 200 miles wide! That's massive.

Quote:
The New York MSA has nearly 7 million more people than Los Angeles'--there should be a larger geographic footprint from extreme points. And it's not as if LA's MSA is so much tidier--it's over 140 miles from NE LA County to Southern Orange County.
Well yeah. The NY MSA is spread out over 6,800 sq miles while the LA MSA is 4,700 sq miles.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
The LA CSA is definitely 1 region and really in my opinion more in line with a MSA vs any other CSA and tied with the Bay area. This image constitutes approximately a contiguous area of 17.5 million people in an area under 3k sq miles.
LA is already the most densely populated UA in the US.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:15 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
I still don't see your point. The New York MSA has nearly 7 million more people than Los Angeles'--there should be a larger geographic footprint from extreme points. And it's not as if LA's MSA is so much tidier--it's over 140 miles from NE LA County to Southern Orange County.
That's true--sort of. New York's urbanized area is TWICE as large as LAs, but it only has about 50% more people. Therefore, New York sprawls more both total and per capital.
In fact, Los Angeles is the 2nd most populous urban area in the country, but only the seventh largest in land area, after New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, and Dallas-Ft. Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City