Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 05:06 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
In that case Atlanta ranks higher and closer to BART, and almost a toss-up with LA's Metro Rail.
Agreed. I put MARTA below LA and with a gap, but I debated having it just below and can appreciate the position that it's the same or higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 02:37 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Transit systems all over the world are really struggling with the new normal post COVID. DC is working through the details of giving DC residents $100 each per month towards riding the metro basically making riding the train free. It will cause ridership to absolutely explode, I'm sure. Are any other cities thinking about doing the same thing?

I have always said public transit should be free in America. We don't pay to drive on roads (outside of toll roads), why should we pay for transit?

DC Holds First Committee Hearing on $100 Monthly Metro Stipends

"The stipend would be offered to residents below the poverty level first, then roll up to higher income levels. DC residents who already receive transit benefits via employment and other means would not be eligible."

Old 02-24-2022, 02:46 PM

506 posts, read 477,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
We don't pay to drive on roads (outside of toll roads), why should we pay for transit?[/i]
But we pay for the vehicle that travels on roads, unless you're talking about walking. That's a very large expense burden on drivers (cost of car, maintenance, insurance, gas). You don't have to buy your own subway car to ride public transit.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
But we pay for the vehicle that travels on roads, unless you're talking about walking. That's a very large expense burden on drivers (cost of car, maintenance, insurance, gas). You don't have to buy your own subway car to ride public transit.
But roads are considered a public good meaning infrastructure. Transit is also infrastructure. I think they both should be paid for through taxes. Roads already are, transit is subsidized, but not 100% like roads. Hopefully, that is going to change soon, and this might be a first step towards doing that.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:29 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
https://grist.org/transportation/mic...ublic-transit/
so far only 3 bus lines are free.

Old 02-24-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
That's great! I hope cities can all find a way to make public transit free over the coming years. We are reaching that death spiral without the office workers moving forward. DC is moving toward increasing frequency in evenings and weekends which I think will be huge because Uber is so expensive.

Old 02-24-2022, 05:14 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I believe the Pink Line between 54th/Cermak and Kostner is also grade level. It was also what I used to take what was formerly known as the 'Douglas L' back in the early 90's which had grade crossings at the time... I'm not sure if they changed that though.
The west end of the Pink Line, indeed still has grade crossings. Same with the Brown Line, like others said.

Btw if you didn't know, till sometime in the mid 20th century, the western part of the Green Line had grade railroad/street crossings. The high amount of car/train accidents, due to the fact what carries the Union Pacific West tracks today was elevated and the Green Line tracks weren't(causing blind corner visibility issues of the Green Line tracks, at railroad crossings), was what led to the Green Line being elevated. This was back in like the 1950s, I think. So I don't blame the CTA and Oak Park, for elevating the western portion of what today is the Green Line.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:10 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
But roads are considered a public good meaning infrastructure. Transit is also infrastructure. I think they both should be paid for through taxes. Roads already are, transit is subsidized, but not 100% like roads. Hopefully, that is going to change soon, and this might be a first step towards doing that.
Most road taxes come from gasoline taxes so the people using the roads are the ones that are paying to maintain them.

Los Angeles has been looking to make buses and trains completely free even before the pandemic. I'm generally opposed although it does make sense for it to be free or reduced for people that can't afford it. It's already very cheap as it is at only $1.75 with free transfers for up to 2 hours.

My opposition to "free" is based on experience. Things that are free are usually the first things to be cut whenever there are budget issues. There's also a psychological aspect to things that are free. Rarely are expectations for free services set at a high level by either those that deliver them or by those that receive them. As bad as transit is already in the US, it will absolutely be worse when it's free.

In LA we also have problems with homeless drug addicts on our public transportation. Maybe that issue gets resolved, but it has only be getting worse. If transportation is free, there's no longer a mechanism to remove people that decide to live in stations. People will setup tents and whatever rules are made to prevent it will be opposed by a very vocal group that will insist that allowing drug addicts to live in stations is the humane response.

I don't see why people that can afford it wouldn't pay for transit. Why not?

Old 02-24-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Most road taxes come from gasoline taxes so the people using the roads are the ones that are paying to maintain them.

Los Angeles has been looking to make buses and trains completely free even before the pandemic. I'm generally opposed although it does make sense for it to be free or reduced for people that can't afford it. It's already very cheap as it is at only $1.75 with free transfers for up to 2 hours.

My opposition to "free" is based on experience. Things that are free are usually the first things to be cut whenever there are budget issues. There's also a psychological aspect to things that are free. Rarely are expectations for free services set at a high level by either those that deliver them or by those that receive them. As bad as transit is already in the US, it will absolutely be worse when it's free.

In LA we also have problems with homeless drug addicts on our public transportation. Maybe that issue gets resolved, but it has only be getting worse. If transportation is free, there's no longer a mechanism to remove people that decide to live in stations. People will setup tents and whatever rules are made to prevent it will be opposed by a very vocal group that will insist that allowing drug addicts to live in stations is the humane response.

I don't see why people that can afford it wouldn't pay for transit. Why not?
Well, maybe not free, but subsidized where the city gives you money toward transit. That’s the proposal in DC. I think it’s important because it allows people to live without a car in urban cities where it’s possible.

If you don’t have to pay for transit, you have more money towards rent or mortgage in cities.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:19 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
DC metro has regressed so much and looks like it’s issues will continue for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City