Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2022, 08:29 PM

71 posts, read 45,512 times

Advertisements

Is there a single metro in America that hasn't regressed post-covid and became a haven for crime, homeless, and other degeneracy? Hearing the same problems in SF, NY, Chi, DC, LA, Philly, ATL...Haven't heard anything about Boston tho, is the T the last decent metro left in the country?

America should be ashamed of how it treats public transit in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 09:19 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Most road taxes come from gasoline taxes so the people using the roads are the ones that are paying to maintain them.

Los Angeles has been looking to make buses and trains completely free even before the pandemic. I'm generally opposed although it does make sense for it to be free or reduced for people that can't afford it. It's already very cheap as it is at only $1.75 with free transfers for up to 2 hours.

My opposition to "free" is based on experience. Things that are free are usually the first things to be cut whenever there are budget issues. There's also a psychological aspect to things that are free. Rarely are expectations for free services set at a high level by either those that deliver them or by those that receive them. As bad as transit is already in the US, it will absolutely be worse when it's free.

In LA we also have problems with homeless drug addicts on our public transportation. Maybe that issue gets resolved, but it has only be getting worse. If transportation is free, there's no longer a mechanism to remove people that decide to live in stations. People will setup tents and whatever rules are made to prevent it will be opposed by a very vocal group that will insist that allowing drug addicts to live in stations is the humane response.

I don't see why people that can afford it wouldn't pay for transit. Why not?
My hometown of Kansas City was the first city in the country to choose to make public transit free citywide.

I suspect that the City Council's decision to do this was influenced by the city's experience with the modern streetcar line along Main Street downtown. It's been free to ride from the start, and it's been wildly popular (its operating costs are paid for by a sales tax surcharge in a district that extends about a half-mile on either side of its route; the line and the taxing district are being extended southward to the Country Club Plaza and UMKC).

I haven't been keeping close track of how the city is implementing this policy. And since it applies only to the city of Kansas City, Mo., routes operated by the local area transit authority that extend beyond the city limits will still charge fares outside them.

The streetcar operates at a decent frequency and the riders treat it with respect. Local rapper Kemet the Phantom recorded this video on board the streetcar in 2016; listeners to the Strong Towns podcast "Upzoned" will recognize it:

https://youtu.be/_Xa_lfMoDqI

How do you embed YouTube videos into posts here? It's definitely possible given how many others I've seen here.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:45 PM

663 posts, read 306,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

How do you embed YouTube videos into posts here? It's definitely possible given how many others I've seen here.
When like this -

Change the --- youtu.be --- to --- youtube.com

Add after that and the one / this ?v=

So then the -- youtube.com/?v=_Xa_IfMoDql with the url's and https: materializes. For me only low-def though.

Viola, works every time if the - watch - version is not being given to copy and paste.

https://youtube.com/?v=_Xa_lfMoDqI

You cannot add it in a edit after a initial posting a video or fix. It then will not work.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:50 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Is there a single metro in America that hasn't regressed post-covid and became a haven for crime, homeless, and other degeneracy? Hearing the same problems in SF, NY, Chi, DC, LA, Philly, ATL...Haven't heard anything about Boston tho, is the T the last decent metro left in the country?

DC metro hasn’t turned into a haven for crime, homeless and “degeneracy” anymore than pre-Covid. I mean not that I’ve noticed and I ride it frequently daily.

NYC Subway seemed like what I always remembered.

Haven’t been on the others since the pandemic.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:34 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
When like this -

Change the --- youtu.be --- to --- youtube.com

Add after that and the one / this ?v=

So then the -- youtube.com/?v=_Xa_IfMoDql with the url's and https: materializes. For me only low-def though.

Viola, works every time if the - watch - version is not being given to copy and paste.

https://youtube.com/?v=_Xa_lfMoDqI

You cannot add it in a edit after a initial posting a video or fix. It then will not work.
Thanks. I also see there's a [youtube.../youtube] BBcode tag pair in there. Looks like that's what embeds the actual video, and from what I see in the editor, that has to be entered manually, unless your tip causes it to auto-generate.

BTW, for those who viewed the video, if you scoped the T-shirt Kemet was wearing under his jacket, it had a streetcar on it and the legend "It's about to get rail."

Old 02-25-2022, 06:59 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
DC metro has regressed so much and looks like it’s issues will continue for the foreseeable future.
It hasn't really regressed to that point IMO. Prior to the pandemic it had actually seen minimal ridership increases. There's the current issue going on with the 7000's series trains, and the wheels being inspected. But the slow down in service for inspecting those has been more precautionary than having some chronic issue. If that issue is cleared or considered resolved this spring, I see things slowly going back on the upswing. There's 7 new stations opening up this year. Now it's just the uphill battle of adding ridership bit by bit. Just like in most cities this will take time. Metro is still the biggest "clean" "modern" system in the country.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:02 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:

San Diego and Miami seem to be immune.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:13 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:

The T sucks. It gets the job done but its a bad experience. Real dirty and dysfunctional and IMO crime is rising ON THE T- and down elsewhere in Boston

News about and crime on the T:
https://www.universalhub.com/mbta

Argument over toilet flushing turns violent in Back Bay men's room

"Transit Police report arresting a Malden man they say stabbed another man in the hand in an altercation over bowl hygiene in the men's room at Back Bay station Sunday morning."

Orange Line riders self evacuate after train begins to smoke

After train gets stuck at Mass. Ave., riders climb out between cars - except man in wheelchair

Man pulls knife on bus driver who asks him to cover his face, police say

Man on the Red Line asks guy to stop leaning into him; guy pulls out one of his two knives and threatens to stab him, police say

It is very rarely a good sign when firefighters show up on the Green Line

Michael couldn't help but notice the firefighters flooding into Boylston on the Green Line around 5 p.m. The MBTA reported "a power problem" at Boylston that caused delays of up to 20 minutes on the Green Line. That's MBTAspeak for "the top of a trolley was on fire."

Red Line riders reach their breaking point, with trains once more out of joint

Mentally disabled man was beaten up at North Station; police say they have one of his attackers

^thats just a few of the incidents the last three weeks.

Here are some of the all-stars:

Trains sputter and stop on all four subway lines; Blue Line still out of commission

Police: Teens harassing couple on the Green Line beat up college student who tried to get them to stop, steal his sneakers

Mechanism aimed at keeping Muddy River floodwater out of a Green Line tunnel is disabling trolleys

This is no joke: Red Line starts to smoke

Pair of alleged droogs rob sleeping homeless man at Downtown Crossing, and when passerby tries to intercede, they stomp him, police say

South Station T stop runs red with blood; two stabbed after argument turns violent

Man charged with shoving elderly man to the pavement at Quincy Center T stop for no particular reason

Man wanted on charges of beating up lots of people arrested on charges of beating up somebody at Andrew T stop

Orange-vested thief sought for stealing elderly man's wallet, phone at Park Street

Everything I posted is since December.

Other:
The MBTA's New Orange Line Trains Derailed Six Times. What Went Wrong?

We’re Number One! MBTA Trains Had the Most Derailments in the U.S.

T trains derailed eight times last year: Green Line trolleys six times, maintenance cars twice. That’s the most in the nation. The seven derailments the Green Line saw in 2015 helped it earn the top spot nationwide when it came to the country’s light rail that year. System-wide in 2015, the T had the country’s third-most derailments, behind SEPTA in Philadelphia and BART in San Francisco.

'It's Just Not Acceptable': MBTA Derailments Frustrate Riders

The Boston Globe previously reported that the MBTA's 43 derailments between 2014 and 2018 were the second-most by a major transit authority in that span. Only the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority, with 72, had more

We asked, you answered: This is how safe Boston.com readers feel riding the MBTA

Of the 612 total responses, the [plurality] said they felt “somewhat at risk,” representing about 29 percent of respondents. Of those who responded “somewhat at risk,” most self-identified as women (57 percent). The remaining votes included 23 percent felt “somewhat safe,” followed by 22 percent feeling “very much at risk,” and 19 percent felt “very safe.” Ten percent said they felt neither safe nor unsafe.
“I feel safe if there are other passengers, it's light outside, or there's cameras on the bus," Leanne, 39, of Allston, wrote.

“Trains are ancient, little to no security patrolling stations.” – Jim, 29, Boston

“The whole environment of the MBTA is very dirty and dangerous feeling to me. There’s no cameras on the trains, MBTA staff rarely check in on passengers past the door / turnstiles, and most of the tracks and equipment are older than I am.” – Nate, 34

Most MBTA riders feel at risk on the T

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-25-2022 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-25-2022, 07:25 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
I am sure this has been mentioned before in the thread but DC, SF, and ATL have the benefit of their systems being mostly built in the 70s. Had it not been for NIMBYs, BART/MARTA probably would have looked more like DC's metro than what is currently built. This is a pretty interesting article/interview touching on the subject:
DC: Lessons from Washington Metro, America's Last Great Subway System

Old 02-25-2022, 07:53 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
My best experiences post covid:
-PATCO
-Boston’s MBTA
-MARTA ATL
-Chicago L

Neutral
-SEPTA
-MTA NYC
-NJTransit

Awful Exp.
-LIRR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City