Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 09:32 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
JID, Kenny Mason, Killer Mike, 6LACK, 21 Savage, Earthgang, Childish Gambino. All from Atlanta. All lyrical. If you don't like the style or sound just say that but it's not trash just because it's an evolution compared to 90s rap. NY has also had a ton of trash artists too.
And not very good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 09:35 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
JID, Kenny Mason, Killer Mike, 6LACK, 21 Savage, Earthgang, Childish Gambino. All from Atlanta. All lyrical. If you don't like the style or sound just say that but it's not trash just because it's an evolution compared to 90s rap. NY has also had a ton of trash artists too.
Okay, I don't like the style or the sound and I don't think it's good. I keep none of those artists in my iPhone. I have 2 21 savage songs and one of them is a lot w/ J cole. Killer mike? You really listen to him? Hard pass on Chifish Gambino music too. No opinion on 6lack, earthgangbor JID. I hear better much music from tons of random artists than them. Only don't know Kenny Mason.

I'd take Louisiana and Memphis artists over ATL in general. It's not just about lyrics I just think way too much trash/boring gets rubber stamped out of ATL in general. Like as a % of is music

Old 08-05-2021, 10:02 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
DC area punches below its weight traditionally in hip hop due to the presence of Go-Go music

Old 08-05-2021, 10:17 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
New York yesterday, Atlanta today. New York will always be where it was born, but Atlanta is currently where its being raised.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:46 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Okay, I don't like the style or the sound and I don't think it's good. I keep none of those artists in my iPhone. I have 2 21 savage songs and one of them is a lot w/ J cole. Killer mike? You really listen to him? Hard pass on Chifish Gambino music too. No opinion on 6lack, earthgangbor JID. I hear better much music from tons of random artists than them. Only don't know Kenny Mason.

I'd take Louisiana and Memphis artists over ATL in general. It's not just about lyrics I just think way too much trash/boring gets rubber stamped out of ATL in general. Like as a % of is music
Dude, I get everyone has opinions but Atlanta rappers are more than what you hear on the radio. I would've agreed with you 10 years ago but today Atlanta is revolutionizing black music as a whole and it's only getting better as time passes and new artists step up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzpJl-i7ZRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Qm555Skc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG8LcqR1kqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fanJQv7a248

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfikUUvjh34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX8bK7pn3ZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvRCqcAd6XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_dt8XAhcX8

Old 08-05-2021, 01:59 PM

You gotta know these artists are doing things I've heard other place years ago. They just get some more shine because they're in Atlanta. That part of what comes with being the dominant city in Hip Hop and in Black Culture period. But theres a lot that goes on independent of Atlanta.

Unless there's objective proof that they were the first to do any of these sounds its just part of what comes with being in ATL. Part and parcel.

Of the artists you posted here Kenny Mason is the one I thought was doing something legitimately different. But I've heard that sound from Na-Kel Smith (
Go..from LA) and Caev (
Dust it Off...from Boston) and even Kid Cudi (
Live and Learn...from Cleveland). if anything he's biting Caev and Na-Kel Smith. but he gets credit because he's from Atlanta.

I've heard 'Sweatpants' it's just faster nerdy rap. That's not revolutionary.

These songs were all decent except the 6Lack song. That was bad.
J.I.D. song was super boring.
21 Savage was definitely good.

Gimme some Frank O, Wayne (Carter V was tough) Jacquees, Moneybagg Yo, Pooh Sheisty, Blacc Youngsta over what I hear in ATL today. I jus think it sounds better. New music in ATL isn't de facto "revolutionary" some of its good but a lot of it wouldn't make a rippleif it weren't made in ATL.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:15 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You gotta know these artists are doing things I've heard other place years ago. They just get some more shine because they're in Atlanta. That part of what comes with being the dominant city in Hip Hop and in Black Culture period. But theres a lot that goes on independent of Atlanta.

Unless there's objective proof that they were the first to do any of these sounds its just part of what comes with being in ATL. Part and parcel.

Of the artists you posted here Kenny Mason is the one I thought was doing something legitimately different. But I've heard that sound from Na-Kel Smith (
Go..from LA) and Caev (
Dust it Off...from Boston) and even Kid Cudi (
Live and Learn...from Cleveland). if anything he's biting Caev and Na-Kel Smith. but he gets credit because he's from Atlanta.

I've heard 'Sweatpants' it's just faster nerdy rap. That's not revolutionary.

These songs were all decent except the 6Lack song. That was bad.
J.I.D. song was super boring.
21 Savage was definitely good.

Gimme some Frank O, Wayne (Carter V was tough) Jacquees, Moneybagg Yo, Pooh Sheisty, Blacc Youngsta over what I hear in ATL today. I jus think it sounds better. New music in ATL isn't de facto "revolutionary" some of its good but a lot of it wouldn't make a rippleif it weren't made in ATL.
And these aren't too good to me and none of those artists are making anything "different" either (except Cudi but he isn't new). Music evolves, but from something that came before. Maybe you just have a specific sound but I would never listen to that and going by views most Americans don't want to either. Atlanta is popular because we crafted a sound that people want to listen to, but if that isn't your kind of sound then just don't listen to it. I don't go around calling Chi, NYC, or LA trash because those are sounds I don't like as much as ATL's, but that doesn't mean they're trash and there are occasional artists from anywhere that I'll listen to if they make music that's actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiAD...fj_WZbnqiYUV74
(Can't let you get away with that JID comment though, I purposefully chose a more grounded song cause I didn't know what you listen to)

Old 08-05-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
And these aren't too good to me and none of those artists are making anything "different" either (except Cudi but he isn't new). Music evolves, but from something that came before. Maybe you just have a specific sound but I would never listen to that and going by views most Americans don't want to either. Atlanta is popular because we crafted a sound that people want to listen to, but if that isn't your kind of sound then just don't listen to it. I don't go around calling Chi, NYC, or LA trash because those are sounds I don't like as much as ATL's, but that doesn't mean they're trash and there are occasional artists from anywhere that I'll listen to if they make music that's actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiAD...fj_WZbnqiYUV74
(Can't let you get away with that JID comment though, I purposefully chose a more grounded song cause I didn't know what you listen to)
IDK it's all subjective. I'll give the JID song a listen. People like him but that song was boring fr. I think there's a song or two of his I like. zIm definitely biased towards NY'ers but that comes from where I was raised, I was just up in Boston this weekend and was hearing some NY artist song Id never heard in Bmore which tends to grabits sound from point south. Even weaker NY acts like French Montana and Juelz Santana I probably hold in too high regard but I cant not like 'Juice' or 'Nervous'......I go hard for the Dave East's and Fab's of the world. And I cant take the criticism that comes with that. But no Max B though-free Max B, keep his Music.

Someone like A Boogie I'm not too much of a fan of because he sounds like he's trying to ride the generic wave/roddy rich wave.

I probably preferred ATL back 2010- 2014/2015. That Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug music were pretty different a the time and I was a huge fan. Right now anything Lil Baby or Gunna is absolute trash to me and I associate that with ATL popular music.

I listen to a really really wide array of hip hop from Whodini to Lloyd Banks to Dom K to Shyheim to Funky 4 +1 to IDK to Na-Kel Smith to Lil Durk to Janet Jackson. Sometimes I don't know how I myself define what is and "isn't "good"

EDIT: JID and Cole was technically sound, I can't criticize it. I'll just never like the 'thousand words in one bar' style. Unless I like the beat and the energy behind it. It works in small doses for Busta and Twista but it sucks for Em and I dont think its Cole's best flow either. Prefer him on 'a lot' or '1985' or 'My Boy' ft. Wale.

Lastly, Kid Cudi can make new sounds without being a new artist. But when he came out he absolutely did make a new sound. As to whether Americans want to listen to music or not depends on a lot of things. The quality of music isn't what get you views. Theres algorithm/followers, where do powerful people in the industry want to be and conduct business, what places have venues, whats your ad/placement budget etc etc

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-05-2021 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-06-2021, 10:03 AM

47 posts, read 30,826 times
New York

Old 08-06-2021, 10:06 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
New York yesterday, Atlanta today. New York will always be where it was born, but Atlanta is currently where its being raised.
Ooooh. Very well said. This is totally quotable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City