U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city should the 21st centuries most influential black american live?(this person isn't here ye
NYC (Harlem) 2 6.90%
Atlanta 13 44.83%
DC 7 24.14%
Other (please list what city and why) 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2017, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,589 posts, read 26,949,282 times
Reputation: 9524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
why would that be a bad thing ?

+ 1 on the other points.tyler perry. real housewives, married to medicine, love and hip-hop, atlanta, preachers of atlanta, ...

at the beginning of this thread i thought about chicago: barrack obama, jesse jackson, common, chance, ...
Oh I never said it was a bad thing. It's just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 AM
 
56,244 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What hurts Boston to most black Americans is that it doesn't really have a large black population in its metro. There are mid sized cities in the South that has more than Boston. Not to mention, a great many of Boston black population is foreign.

In the end, while I stand by my point that there should be more than one leader, it's going to come back to Atlanta, DC, and NYC with Chicago an outside shot.
Maybe a couple, but not that many: BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

People may forget how big the Boston metro area is as well. So, that could play a part in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,589 posts, read 26,949,282 times
Reputation: 9524
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe a couple, but not that many: BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

People may forget how big the Boston metro area is as well. So, that could play a part in that.
Raleigh, Norfolk, Richmond, New Orleans, Memphis, Charlotte, Orlando. That's a pretty nice sized number of Southern mid sized cities/metros that have more than Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM
 
29,685 posts, read 27,113,966 times
Reputation: 18215
No telling. A leading voice at the moment, Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, is from Goldsboro, NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,104,984 times
Reputation: 7497
The person could come from anywhere. Location does not equal or guarantee mindset/abilities/strengths/etc. We do not rise up from a particular spot on the globe and that location identifies and constrains us.

We are made up of living matter (genes, DNA, tissues, and so forth), not man-made stuff (dirt, concrete, roads, houses, neighborhoods). The question seems to suggest the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 11:05 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,469 posts, read 2,281,436 times
Reputation: 2751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh I never said it was a bad thing. It's just different.
you started your post with what hurts boston ... which prompted me to reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Raleigh, Norfolk, Richmond, New Orleans, Memphis, Charlotte, Orlando. That's a pretty nice sized number of Southern mid sized cities/metros that have more than Boston.
arent these big cities ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,589 posts, read 26,949,282 times
Reputation: 9524
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
you started your post with what hurts boston ... which prompted me to reply.
arent these big cities ?
I mentioned hurt in relation to the size of its black population compared to ther cities of its peers. Boston has about 300k Blacks. That's below Houston, Dallas, LA, Philadelphia, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, and Miami, all of which are over 1 million blacks. I never intended to say the makeup tho is what hurts Boston.

As far as those other cities. They are mid sized. Big but not like Boston and not even close in influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,469 posts, read 2,281,436 times
Reputation: 2751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I mentioned hurt in relation to the size of its black population compared to ther cities of its peers. Boston has about 300k Blacks. That's below Houston, Dallas, LA, Philadelphia, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, and Miami, all of which are over 1 million blacks. I never intended to say the makeup tho is what hurts Boston.
sorry, i misunderstood. i agree.
i think this category is not something boston is in the running for (maybe i could make a stretch for education)... my sleeper would be chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As far as those other cities. They are mid sized. Big but not like Boston and not even close in influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 01:05 PM
 
56,244 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The person could come from anywhere. Location does not equal or guarantee mindset/abilities/strengths/etc. We do not rise up from a particular spot on the globe and that location identifies and constrains us.

We are made up of living matter (genes, DNA, tissues, and so forth), not man-made stuff (dirt, concrete, roads, houses, neighborhoods). The question seems to suggest the latter.
Basically and if you look back in history, many leaders came from small towns and cities in multiple regions or even from the Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 01:15 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,725 posts, read 6,088,427 times
Reputation: 3568
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
why would that be a bad thing ?

+ 1 on the other points.tyler perry. real housewives, married to medicine, love and hip-hop, atlanta, preachers of atlanta, ...

at the beginning of this thread i thought about chicago: barrack obama, jesse jackson, common, chance, ...
Don't forget Greenleaf ,Braxton Family Values, Growing up Hip-hop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top