Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post

Pic I took last November (sorry for poor quality).
I can't tell where that is exactly but it does have some trees. Must be that area north of Broadway on the way to Jones stadium. There are a few trees lining Broadway as it enters campus and there a some along the SE part of the campus along 19th street. The Tech Terrace area south of campus has some greenery and there are some greener areas in the nice neighborhoods between Quaker and Slide road close to 19th.

I think Tech and Lubbock are decent considering where they are located. The Spanish didn't call that are the Llano Estacado for nothing.

Quote:
Spanish conquistador Francisco Coronado, the first European to traverse this "sea of grass" in 1541, described it as follows:

I reached some plains so vast, that I did not find their limit anywhere I went, although I traveled over them for more than 300 leagues ... with no more land marks than if we had been swallowed up by the sea ... there was not a stone, nor bit of rising ground, nor a tree, nor a shrub, nor anything to go by.[1][7]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:05 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
I'm not going to do livability but just the cities I like best.

The American:
1. Philadelphia
2. New Orleans
3. Tampa
4. Dallas
5. Houston
6. Memphis/Cincinnati
7. Tulsa
8. Witchita

Greenville and Storrs aren't really cities in the way the others are.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 08-04-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 08:43 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
The MAC, just looking at the hosting communities alone. This would probably change a bit if you lumped Ypsilanti with Ann Arbor, Akron and Kent with Cleveland, ect.

Buffalo
Oxford (Miami)
Athens (Ohio)
Toledo
Akron
Kalamazoo (WMU)
Muncie (Ball St)
DeKalb (NIU)
Mt. Pleasant (CMU)
Ypsilanti (EMU)
Bowling Green
Kent

Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 PM

256 posts, read 265,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Lubbock is bad mostly because of the terrain, weather and the fact that there are feed lots around there.

Lubbock is a stark, gritty town. Trees don't grow very well there so you don't have any really green places. It's in the middle of flat featureless cotton country. In the spring you can get two or three dust storms a week where the air is literally a brown fog. On occasion they can be bad enough that you can't go outside at all.

Lubbock is generally always really windy and the feed lot smells can permeate the air and that isn't very pleasant. When it is blowing you have to watch for tumbleweeds on the roadways on the perimeter of town. The wind grates on you. Summer it's like a hair dryer blowing in your face. Winter it really affects wind chill so that it can be 50 degrees outside and it feels really cold.

As far as the town itself, there just really isn't any charm at all. The downtown is grungy. The laid out grid has the typical strip malls, etc. Nothing unique. The Tech campus has really interesting architecture that a lot of people like. Sort of spanish style, but the campus just doesn't have much greenery.
Very good write-up. Wow, this sounds almost identical to the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:05 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ninenine View Post
Very good write-up. Wow, this sounds almost identical to the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA.
...and it's full of half-truths written by a fan of a conference rival.

Have never been to Stockton, but I've read from a native of that place who played baseball at Texas Tech (ironically) that it's a depressed area. Lubbock is something like the 31st-fastest-growing city in the US, so it would seem that Stockton is not a valid comparison.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 PM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
Quote:

Have never been to Stockton, but I've read from a native of that place who played baseball at Texas Tech (ironically) that it's a depressed area. Lubbock is something like the 31st-fastest-growing city in the US, so it would seem that Stockton is not a valid comparison.
Whats surprising is Lubbock is the 31st fastest growing city. I didnt think it would be that high. Im from the area but dont understand why anyone would like the area if they didnt grow up there.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 PM

533 posts, read 822,047 times
Quote:

Stockton has a weak economy but despite that the rate of population growth is high. The comparison between Lubbock and Stockton seems kind of iffy to me too, but population growth isn't an area where the comparison falters.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Stockton has a weak economy but despite that the rate of population growth is high. The comparison between Lubbock and Stockton seems kind of iffy to me too, but population growth isn't an area where the comparison falters.
High population growth isn't necessarily a good factor, though, and is commonly attributed to areas with a weak economy. If that statistic specifically meant that a lot of people were moving there, that would be one thing, but it could also just be caused by a high birth rate, which is typically higher in more depressed and impoverished areas.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:

I've never been, so I guess I was mostly taking his word for it. I wasn't aware that his team rivals Texas Tech, but that doesn't really discredit what he says, for me, because none of it jumps out as outlandish from what I've learned about the town. I just thought he did a really good job at describing in a pretty broad way the problems that a lot of mid-sized cities in the country face.

I think it actually is a valid comparison, because Stockton suffers from a lot of the same ailments, like generic strip malls, flat, dusty, etc. They both actually have relatively high growth rates, and this is actually caused because of high birth rates, not because people are necessarily flocking there. Like I said, though, I'm totally unfamiliar with Lubbock, just going off his word, which I thought was really well-spoken.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I'll do one for ACC because I'm familiar with the southern ones at least. This is only based on where I would want to live as college student or retiree, and it is mostly about the area closer to campus for the large metros.

Chapel Hill - near lake, Franklin Street is nice, good weather, cost of living would be major negative and I heard crime is bad here, and also perhaps too much political activism. The campus is decent but not a fan of the architecture on some of the main buildings.
Don't know who told you that because Chapel Hill has very low crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City