Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 PM

256 posts, read 265,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
If you are solely looking at features of college towns vs features of cities with major colleges in them, then there will be a huge drop off. As a WSU Alumni, Pullman is an great college town for young students and those who love the campus environment. But if you compare it as a city to other places in the conference it turns from the best college town to the worst city.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons this was so interesting to me. I think really any place with a major university like any of these schools is going to be a fine place to live, it's really all just in perspective when they compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 01:55 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
somewhat adjacent:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...onference.html

Old 07-26-2017, 02:21 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
the big east conference, the ivy league and the colonial athletic association (honorable mention: patriot league) would be tied for conference with the best collection of cities considering the general consensus of what makes a city great:
  • education
  • employment opportunities
  • economy
  • diversity
  • subway system
  • housing values
  • standard of living

Old 07-26-2017, 04:32 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Whats cringe worthy is that you care that much. DC is one of my favorite cities, I dont care if UM is a "bastard child." Big 10 is Big 10. I picked new Brunswick because of proximity to NYC and Philly. I like big cities and being near them, oh well.

Nothing wowes me about Columbus, sorry. Ill put it over New Bruniswick because of its size, but I dont have much interest in Ohio. I already see enough Ohio tags.
I am a big ten alumnus and current professional student so of course I care. I apologize for coming off abrasive, we are a passionate bunch

I understand your preferences based on being near very large cities. However, you might as well just live in New York or D.C. or go to school there if you want a big city environment instead of a small satellite city with few redeeming qualities.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I am a big ten alumnus and current professional student so of course I care. I apologize for coming off abrasive, we are a passionate bunch

I understand your preferences based on being near very large cities. However, you might as well just live in New York or D.C. or go to school there if you want a big city environment instead of a small satellite city with few redeeming qualities.
No problem. Sure I see your point. Why live in EB to live near NYC, instead of just living in NYC. But since this list is based off the colleges, I have to theoretically choose based on where the school is.

I admit I'd live in Columbus over East Brunswick, but proximity is still something I'd want.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 PM

256 posts, read 265,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the big east conference, the ivy league and the colonial athletic association (honorable mention: patriot league) would be tied for conference with the best collection of cities considering the general consensus of what makes a city great:
  • education
  • employment opportunities
  • economy
  • diversity
  • subway system
  • housing values
  • standard of living
Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd agree with the Ivy League cities making that list to be honest, bar Columbia and Harvard, and maybe Princeton, although I don't know too much about it.

I've heard it said many times that often the most prestigous schools are in the roughest areas and I feel like that saying does tend to be true with most of the places in the Ivy League. Philly and New Haven most noticeably, but rural upstate New York and New Hampshire are also unfortunately prone to some serious drug abuse problems and poverty/unemployment. The weather in most of the Ivy League towns is also a pretty common deterrent to those areas I think as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:31 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Pullman, Washington is perhaps one of the best "pure" college towns of the major conferences, because there is literally very little going on there than Washington State University. Yeah, the weather is mostly miserable, and it is isolated (though only about 90 minutes from Spokane). But what makes it great is it is purely a college town, doesn't pretend to be anything more or less. I'm sure there are others like it, but perhaps not at that conference level.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
C-USA

Houston
Miami
Birmingham
Boca Raton (Broward)
Denton (Dallas-Fort Worth)
San Antonio
Hattiesburg
Charlotte
Nashville
El Paso

All comes down to location imo.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
C-USA

Houston
Miami
Birmingham
Boca Raton (Broward)
San Antonio
Hattiesburg
Charlotte
Nashville
El Paso

El Paso ain't that bad...

Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
C-USA

Houston
Miami
Birmingham
Boca Raton (Broward)
San Antonio
Hattiesburg
Charlotte
Nashville
El Paso

Wow, CUSA actually has good coverage. If it was me, I'd do:

1. Miami
2. Nashville/Houston
4. San Antonio/Charlotte
6. Boca Raton
7. Birmingham
8. Denton
9. El Paso
10. Hattiesburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City