Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 01:50 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Charlestown is still one of the safest residential neighborhoods in Boston. Far far from the worst. The site and the vlogger arent credible whatsoever. For a lot of reasons.
I’m just saying that it’s not 100% gentrified because of the public housing. The South End is like that, too. Without the public housing, it would have 100% gentrified 30 years ago. I had a college roommate from the South End in 1976. It was a pretty rough place then. I had a girlfriend who bought a condo there in 1987. It really changed in a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 02:53 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Does SF have lower overall crime rate than Chicago?

I'm looking at police reports and so far in 2022, SF has had 11.9k offenses while Chicago has had 12.6k offenses, despite having 3x as many people. It seems like you're more likely to be the victim of a crime in SF (proper).

I'm not sure crime has much to do with it when DC is also extremely expensive.
Crime rate is a terrible metric to judge a city by and gouge for safety. Homicides and Agg. Assaults is much better.

Wildwood's crime rate was higher than Philadelphia's until 2018 because of all the petty thefts and robberies. Nobody on the planet would consider Wildwood more dangerous than Boston, NYC, Chicago or Philadelphia.

Old 04-11-2022, 03:42 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Crime rate is a terrible metric to judge a city by and gouge for safety. Homicides and Agg. Assaults is much better.

Wildwood's crime rate was higher than Philadelphia's until 2018 because of all the petty thefts and robberies. Nobody on the planet would consider Wildwood more dangerous than Boston, NYC, Chicago or Philadelphia.
What about robberies? Agg. assault and homicide is obviously worse, but regardless, if I get mugged at gunpoint, that will have a massive impact on my sense of safety.

Not defending Chicago's crime in any way, just not seeing how SF is faring that much better when its aggravated assault rate is pretty high too.

EDIT: deleted incorrect statistic

Last edited by nadnerb; 04-11-2022 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-11-2022, 04:22 PM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Does SF have lower overall crime rate than Chicago?

I'm looking at police reports and so far in 2022, SF has had 11.9k offenses while Chicago has had 12.6k offenses, despite having 3x as many people. It seems like you're more likely to be the victim of a crime in SF (proper).

I'm not sure crime has much to do with it when DC is also extremely expensive.
Crime rate is a pretty crude measurement for perceived safety. The wealthy areas around college campuses, where professors live in homes worth much more than other neighborhoods, often have high rates of violent crime like rape and assault because the concentration of students in dorms and frats are so high. A lot of crime in black neighborhoods goes unreported because people fear the police--and Latino neighborhoods have low reporting because of immigration concerns.

All of that is to say that I think hardly anyone would argue that Chicago is less dangerous than DC or San Francisco. And even if statistically that were true the perception is that Chicago is vastly more crime-filled, which will inevitably suppress home prices.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:29 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Crime rate is a pretty crude measurement for perceived safety. The wealthy areas around college campuses, where professors live in homes worth much more than other neighborhoods, often have high rates of violent crime like rape and assault because the concentration of students in dorms and frats are so high. A lot of crime in black neighborhoods goes unreported because people fear the police--and Latino neighborhoods have low reporting because of immigration concerns.

All of that is to say that I think hardly anyone would argue that Chicago is less dangerous than DC or San Francisco. And even if statistically that were true the perception is that Chicago is vastly more crime-filled, which will inevitably suppress home prices.
Generally the lower the extreme crime the more other crimes are reported. People don’t bother reporting like a smash and grab in Chicago while in a safe city people would.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:46 PM

663 posts, read 306,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Generally the lower the extreme crime the more other crimes are reported. People don’t bother reporting like a smash and grab in Chicago while in a safe city people would.
So that is why non-homicide crime can still be surprising in Boston ... Now I get it.

Bad people of Chicago avoid reporting and the good people of Boston do....

Must work too for links put out by pest control services. Like for rats. All depends on type of city people are more likely to report a problem and seek eradicating it....

Old 04-11-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
So that is why non-homicide crime can still be surprising in Boston ... Now I get it.

Bad people of Chicago avoid reporting and the good people of Boston do....

Must work too for links put out by pest control services. Like for rats. All depends on type of city people are more likely to report a problem and seek eradicating it....
Yeah actually. Do you actually think petty crimes decreased in 2020 and 2021 while homicides, shootings and carjackings shot upwards, or so you think people went to report someone keying their car or whatever and the police just says “don’t bother with a report, we aren’t getting to it”

Old 04-11-2022, 07:53 PM

663 posts, read 306,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah actually. Do you actually think petty crimes decreased in 2020 and 2021 while homicides, shootings and carjackings shot upwards, or so you think people went to report someone keying their car or whatever and the police just says “don’t bother with a report, we aren’t getting to it”
I get it. Boston does not have more non-homicide crime. It is just more people there report it cause it rarely happens.

In Chicago ... more people just report seeing rats. They get mugged ... just a normal day in paradise.... par for the course.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
I get it. Boston does not have more non-homicide crime. It is just more people there report it cause it rarely happens.

In Chicago ... more people just report seeing rats. They get mugged ... just a normal day in paradise.... par for the course.
Do you have any idea what people in posh little towns call the police over? The threshold of what gets the police involved is different based on the baseline level of crime. Exempting Murders which 100% gets reported and never get dismissed out of hand since they’re top priority

A bar fight in Lynn is less likely to have the police involved than someone silly stringing a car in Lexington.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:11 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I am not sure about Philly but I've always laughed at the idea that Chicago is affordable. Some of the most decadent and dangerous neighborhoods in the country which happen to be in Chicago are indeed quite affordable. But the small wedge of the city that most white collar workers live in? It's honestly not that affordable. I live on the north side and am white well-educated, etc. and my overall cost of living is not meaningfully different than it was when I lived in Denver or South Florida. The reason Chicago is losing population is precisely that it's not really affordable in the areas that people actually want to live and the areas that people can afford to live are rife with violence, segregation, etc. That's just not as true of the cities that people leaving Chicago for (Denver, Tampa, Charlotte, Dallas, etc.).

Chicago is in a tough place because it obviously needs gentrification in much of the city but that will only serve to make the area even less affordable--and Chicago offers very little to middle class newcomers outside of its affordability. Why would you pay Brroklyn prices to live in Chicago? The weather is polar, the taxes are surreal, wages are eh, and the crime is horrendous. The people who do actually move here do so because it offers a big urban experience at less cost than New York, but the more it gentrifies the fewer people will he attracted to live here. Chicago will he left batting cities like DC, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, etc. for wealthier white transplants and honestly without significantly cheaper cost of living Chicago will lose most of those battles.
Dude I can find a bunch of studios and even 1BRs near Lake Michigan on the North Side for up to $900. With utilities included. Outside of Rogers Park these aren't war zones. https://www.apartments.com/chicago-i...ugzs2zJrl-p75L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City