U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is headed towards being the king of Suburban mega-regions?
Orange County 41 52.56%
NOVA 37 47.44%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2017, 06:21 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,404 posts, read 24,386,201 times
Reputation: 8769

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
And yet the same link you provided shows that Disneyland and the Angels are the first thing that comes to mind when people think of Orange County. And it also points out Los Angeles is not even put on any of it's merchandise. If it helped them get better media contracts, good for them. It's not like it affected fan attendance, it's still the same OC people. No one from LA county roots for the Angels.

Like all A's fans, you can not accept that your team is outclassed on and off the field by a team from suburban So Cal. Oh wait, A's don't even have fans. Funny thing is, even before the Angels changed their name, they were still worth more than the A's.

People are not vapid in OC. That's SF, which has more plastic surgeons per capita than even LA. I think that is one thing OC and NoVa have in common, they are actually pretty humble all American places. And not the intellectual, cultural, retail voids, like the yucky places found along highway 4 in the bay area!

OC (and coastal SoCal)and NoVa are places people aspire to live in. When you live in a place people are exiled to (eastbay, prince georges) you just don't get it.
Ok? That still doesn't change the fact that the name was changed to market as a Los Angeles area team. So you were completely wrong in claiming they weren't.

The A's have nothing to do with this thread and neither does the Bay Area at all and quite frankly it's such a bizarre tangent to go off on.

Sure keeping telling yourself that. OC is a humble place.....said no one ever lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM
 
Location: where the good looking people are
3,438 posts, read 2,246,763 times
Reputation: 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok? That still doesn't change the fact that the name was changed to market as a Los Angeles area team. So you were completely wrong in claiming they weren't.

The A's have nothing to do with this thread and neither does the Bay Area at all and quite frankly it's such a bizarre tangent to go off on.

Sure keeping telling yourself that. OC is a humble place.....said no one ever lol.
Most people who actually have lived and worked in OC know its mostly humble. It's filled with ethnic enclaves and lower middle class burbs.

Most of the the negative culture you see is on TV, for rubes not from NYC and LA, that believe scripted reality shows. Most of OC is like Fullerton or Costa Mesa. Not San Clamente.

No one cares if the front office markets as an LA "area team". Everyone in SoCal knows it's an OC team. It's a better franchise than the team in your back yard. Same goes for the Ducks, it's an OC team.

And again, the most vapid people are from the outer east bay. New money folks, driving teslas and sporting google glasses. Rofl. Anahiem is the total opposite of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 11:27 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,404 posts, read 24,386,201 times
Reputation: 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Most people who actually have lived and worked in OC know its mostly humble. It's filled with ethnic enclaves and lower middle class burbs.

Most of the the negative culture you see is on TV, for rubes not from NYC and LA, that believe scripted reality shows. Most of OC is like Fullerton or Costa Mesa. Not San Clamente.

No one cares if the front office markets as an LA "area team". Everyone in SoCal knows it's an OC team. It's a better franchise than the team in your back yard. Same goes for the Ducks, it's an OC team.

And again, the most vapid people are from the outer east bay. New money folks, driving teslas and sporting google glasses. Rofl. Anahiem is the total opposite of that.
Well that negative culture wasn't created out of thin air and there is a reason OC has a certain reputation and is portrayed the way it is. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Well the city of Anaheim cared enough to spend $3.5 million of taxpayer money to fight the name change. And every single city in OC filed a brief supporting Anaheim's case. I do recall pretty much every Angels fan I knew at the time hating the change too. Again the team in my "backyard" has nothing to do with this thread and doesn't change the fact than the Angels market themselves as an "LA area" team.

Sure okay...that must be why there is many articles out there about how vapid and shallow OC is and virtually none about the Outer East Bay (which again has nothing to do with thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Point Loma, San Diego, CA
924 posts, read 904,953 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
That's not true at all. LA and OC share the same media market for the most part. LA teams are supported by OC folks and vice versa. I always see ads for the Angels in the LA area and they even had the "Los Angeles Times" on their scoreboard. The Angels were originally an LA team and were even named after the city of LA. The two areas are so linked that the Rams were able to move there and be called the LA Rams. Disneyland would not be there without LA. Disney is an LA area company. If the Clippers build their arena in Inglewood and build it with hockey in mind, I wouldn't be shocked if the Ducks considered it. By then the Honda Center will be 30 years old.
If you can cross the county line into Los Angeles and find ONE person with an Angels hat from Long Beach to Woodland Hills, please post a photo of that.

Going back to the hit TV series "The OC", of all the episodes I saw, there was only one where Los Angeles was even mentioned, the one where they drive up and there is a shot of the four level interchange.

Imagine a TV series called "The NOVA." How many episodes could they go without bringing up D.C.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 12:14 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,404 posts, read 24,386,201 times
Reputation: 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
If you can cross the county line into Los Angeles and find ONE person with an Angels hat from Long Beach to Woodland Hills, please post a photo of that.

Going back to the hit TV series "The OC", of all the episodes I saw, there was only one where Los Angeles was even mentioned, the one where they drive up and there is a shot of the four level interchange.

Imagine a TV series called "The NOVA." How many episodes could they go without bringing up D.C.?
Yet the spinoff of "The OC" (The Hills aka the HOLLYWOOD HILLS) was based and centered in the middle of LA! LOL. Apparently LA's uglier, denser but still auto-oriented sprawl is exciting and more "city-like" to the vapid OC youth.

Yeah no connection to LA at all......

I imagine the wealthier high-school graduate equivalents of NOVA actually pursue more useful 4-year university educations rather than the vapid, worthless AA degrees of LA's entertainment and fashion industry.

Last edited by sav858; 08-23-2017 at 12:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 3,000,383 times
Reputation: 1939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
If you can cross the county line into Los Angeles and find ONE person with an Angels hat from Long Beach to Woodland Hills, please post a photo of that.

Going back to the hit TV series "The OC", of all the episodes I saw, there was only one where Los Angeles was even mentioned, the one where they drive up and there is a shot of the four level interchange.

Imagine a TV series called "The NOVA." How many episodes could they go without bringing up D.C.?
There already is a reality tv show based on the Maryland side just across the river from NOVA, in Real Housewives of Potomac. There are many episodes on that show where they are not bringing up DC. I imagine this would be the same if the series were filmed across the river in NOVA.

In fact multiple episodes were shot in NOVA and three of the ladies live there. Again dude, get off your high horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 01:28 PM
 
Location: The city of champions
1,830 posts, read 1,595,017 times
Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
If you can cross the county line into Los Angeles and find ONE person with an Angels hat from Long Beach to Woodland Hills, please post a photo of that.

Going back to the hit TV series "The OC", of all the episodes I saw, there was only one where Los Angeles was even mentioned, the one where they drive up and there is a shot of the four level interchange.

Imagine a TV series called "The NOVA." How many episodes could they go without bringing up D.C.?

I can easily do that. I have my own Angels hat and I live in West LA.


There are plenty of Angels fans in the area. Nowhere close to Dodger fans but they are here. I consider myself a hybrid fan. I root for both teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles & Houston
1,265 posts, read 632,596 times
Reputation: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well that negative culture wasn't created out of thin air and there is a reason OC has a certain reputation and is portrayed the way it is. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Well the city of Anaheim cared enough to spend $3.5 million of taxpayer money to fight the name change. And every single city in OC filed a brief supporting Anaheim's case. I do recall pretty much every Angels fan I knew at the time hating the change too. Again the team in my "backyard" has nothing to do with this thread and doesn't change the fact than the Angels market themselves as an "LA area" team.

Sure okay...that must be why there is many articles out there about how vapid and shallow OC is and virtually none about the Outer East Bay (which again has nothing to do with thread).
That sort of proves his point. OC cities fought hard to avoid a name change because they want nothing to do with "Los Angeles".

What NoVA does better is heavy rail transit with large TODs. Orange County pretty much tops it everywhere else. More dense, better scenery, great weather, good universities, multiple theme parks, etc. People in OC dk not want anything to do with LA and because of that, I think it is more independent than NoVA. A big crutch is the airport situation. Should have moved SNA to where the Irvine Great Park is. Short-sighted decision not to build a new airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 07:29 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 3,000,383 times
Reputation: 1939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That sort of proves his point. OC cities fought hard to avoid a name change because they want nothing to do with "Los Angeles".

What NoVA does better is heavy rail transit with large TODs. Orange County pretty much tops it everywhere else. More dense, better scenery, great weather, good universities, multiple theme parks, etc. People in OC dk not want anything to do with LA and because of that, I think it is more independent than NoVA. A big crutch is the airport situation. Should have moved SNA to where the Irvine Great Park is. Short-sighted decision not to build a new airport.
The gap isnt wide as you all are making it seem. With regards to the OP NOVA actually takes multiple categories. Also better scenery etc is subjective, although I understand many people would side with OC on that. NOVA still has universities, there is a water park, but no major theme park until about 30 miles outside of NOVA going south, and 20 miles out going east. Yes OC is "more" dependent, but NOVA crushes on history and historic/important buildings. NOVA also crushes on total airport traffic, and my guess would be in hotels/convention space as well.

Last edited by the resident09; 08-23-2017 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Point Loma, San Diego, CA
924 posts, read 904,953 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There already is a reality tv show based on the Maryland side just across the river from NOVA, in Real Housewives of Potomac. There are many episodes on that show where they are not bringing up DC. I imagine this would be the same if the series were filmed across the river in NOVA.

In fact multiple episodes were shot in NOVA and three of the ladies live there. Again dude, get off your high horse.
A much, much smaller production aired on Bravo. The O.C. was a major show that aired on Fox. Of course, like you said, it's not even set in NOVA so not sure how it came up as a rebuttal.

Another dimension of this is look how much further Orange County came in a shorter time frame, facing major obstacles (water supply).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top