Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Main City of the Sunbelt(besides LA) & Southeast
Atlanta 66 55.00%
Charlotte 1 0.83%
Dallas 29 24.17%
Houston 38 31.67%
Kansas City 1 0.83%
Miami 12 10.00%
Memphis 2 1.67%
Nashville 3 2.50%
New Orleans 2 1.67%
Phoenix 8 6.67%
St.Louis 1 0.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:43 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The American South
Georgia
South Carolina
Alabama
Mississippi
Tennessee
North Carolina
Louisiana
Arkansas (including Missouri south of U.S. Route 60)
Kentucky (minus Cincinnati suburbs, including Missouri Bootheel)
North Florida (north of Orlando)
South Virginia (from just north of Charlottesville on southward, including most of Shenandoah Valley and the part of West Virginia south of Charleston...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...ia?wprov=sfti1 )

Capital of The American South: Atlanta

The Deep South
South Carolina
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Georgia
North Florida
Sisters of the Deep South: Western Tennessee and The Arkansas Delta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Delta
Jesus Christ, there is no such thing as "South Virginia", and the area of Virginia that would typify that designation covers nowhere near the area you defined...

Lol what is it with people on here and this "South Virginia" thing and their own made up definitions of Virginia?

Old 08-23-2017, 09:11 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Lol what is it with people on here and this "South Virginia" thing ... ?

Because it is the truth.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:41 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
I have no clue how North Georgia isn't Deep South to you. You must only mean Atlanta (even Atlanta is debatable, though)? Certainly, outside if Atlanta, there are many areas in North Georgia that are very reminiscent of Deep South characteristics....UNG (University of North Georgia) is in Hall County/Gainesville. There s no way Gainesville isn't the Deep South lol...
Well, if we get technical; I wouldn't actually consider the Piedmont region as Deep South. If you compare the piedmont cities to those actually in the Deep South you'd see some major differences.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I have no clue how North Georgia isn't Deep South to you. You must only mean Atlanta (even Atlanta is debatable, though)? Certainly, outside if Atlanta, there are many areas in North Georgia that are very reminiscent of Deep South characteristics....UNG (University of North Georgia) is in Hall County/Gainesville. There s no way Gainesville isn't the Deep South lol...
I typically think of the Deep South as the coastal plain region of the South from East Texas through the Arkansas/TN Delta regions, practically all of LA and MS, the southern parts of AL and GA, north FL, all of SC minus the Upstate, and eastern NC. It is where the plantation economy was dominant and has large Black rural populations--and this isn't an uncommon definition of the region. It stands in contrast to the Upper South which begins at the Piedmont region and includes Appalachia (central/eastern TN, KY, northern AL and GA, Upstate SC, western NC, etc.). These designations are based more on geography/history/demographics and don't correspond exactly to state lines.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:00 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There is none. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas equally dominate the region.
I voted for Atlanta but I think you're more accurate with this. I am surprised that Houston got more votes than Dallas.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:14 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I typically think of the Deep South as the coastal plain region of the South from East Texas through the Arkansas/TN Delta regions, practically all of LA and MS, the southern parts of AL and GA, north FL, all of SC minus the Upstate, and eastern NC. It is where the plantation economy was dominant and has large Black rural populations--and this isn't an uncommon definition of the region. It stands in contrast to the Upper South which begins at the Piedmont region and includes Appalachia (central/eastern TN, KY, northern AL and GA, Upstate SC, western NC, etc.). These designations are based more on geography/history/demographics and don't correspond exactly to state lines.
This, exactly.

And the reference to Gainesville, GA as being 'Deep South' just proves some still don't understand the nuances of the Region, even when they grew up in it. Gainesville is no more Deep South than Roanoke is!

I've said it before, and I know I will say it again. The South is not monolithic, no Region is. No matter how hard people here try, it just isn't possible to compartmentalize the place.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:53 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I voted for Atlanta but I think you're more accurate with this. I am surprised that Houston got more votes than Dallas.
I am too.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:49 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Culturally as it relates to the rest of the country (profile, history, media, transportation, entertainment etc) Atlanta is clearly above Dallas and Houston, even if the other 2 have greater populations and GDPs. Atlanta has a huge sphere of influence in the entire country (and even the world).

Old 08-24-2017, 05:04 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Culturally as it relates to the rest of the country (profile, history, media, transportation, entertainment etc) Atlanta is clearly above Dallas and Houston, even if the other 2 have greater populations and GDPs. Atlanta has a huge sphere of influence in the entire country (and even the world).
I don't know how transportation would fit culturally. But yes, I do agree that it beats Houston and Dallas there. Economically, this is where Houston and Dallas beats Atlanta. This is why there is no main city. All three have their advantages to the point where neither dominates the other. Not to mention, the distance factor. The South and Sunbelt is too large to have a main city. I would say though that LA has an influence as far east as Texas.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:17 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

^^^
This, exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City