Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:48 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,698,843 times

Advertisements

Top 10 Tech Cities snapshots take a deeper dive into the 10 hottest tech markets, highlighting:

Top tenants and their percentage of tech absorption
Projects under construction and key investment sales
Key market indicators
Click below for more information on each Top Tech 10 Tech Market.

1. Silicon Valley
Access to an incomparably deep talent pool, venture capital community, and the ready acceptance of newcomers...

2. San Francisco
The highest concentrations of tech companies in the world today - from new venture capital-backed start-ups to giants like Google and Facebook...

3. Washington DC Metro
70% of internet traffic runs through Northern Virginia. 55 of the world’s 500 fastest growing cybersecurity companies are headquartered in the region...

4. Boston/Cambridge
Exposure to academia, government funding, industry, and international communities led to a “big bang” – creating Boston’s pool of entrepreneurial talent...

5. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill
Innovative startups, corporate headquarters and technology centers located in RTP. Recognized as a top 10 location for entrepreneurs, Millennials, and families...

6. Seattle
Both start-ups and established players occupy but Amazon takes up 20% of the CBD’s office space...

7. Austin
Progressive and entrepreneurial, Austin caters to all businesses, especially tech-related companies. Home values are significantly lower than competing markets...

8. Denver/ Boulder
Boasts a very well-educated workforce — more than 43% have a bachelor’s degree or higher...

9. San Diego
Military and defense contractors contribute to growing cybersecurity, aerospace, software, and mobile technology industries...

10. Madison, Wisconsin
A small tech hotspot because of home-grown talent– from Epic Systems, a developer and provider of healthcare software, to a variety of gaming software firms...

Tech Cities 1.0 - Cushman & Wakefield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 02:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Top 10 Tech Cities snapshots take a deeper dive into the 10 hottest tech markets, highlighting:

Top tenants and their percentage of tech absorption
Projects under construction and key investment sales
Key market indicators
Click below for more information on each Top Tech 10 Tech Market.

1. Silicon Valley
Access to an incomparably deep talent pool, venture capital community, and the ready acceptance of newcomers...

2. San Francisco
The highest concentrations of tech companies in the world today - from new venture capital-backed start-ups to giants like Google and Facebook...

3. Washington DC Metro
70% of internet traffic runs through Northern Virginia. 55 of the world’s 500 fastest growing cybersecurity companies are headquartered in the region...

4. Boston/Cambridge
Exposure to academia, government funding, industry, and international communities led to a “big bang” – creating Boston’s pool of entrepreneurial talent...

5. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill
Innovative startups, corporate headquarters and technology centers located in RTP. Recognized as a top 10 location for entrepreneurs, Millennials, and families...

6. Seattle
Both start-ups and established players occupy but Amazon takes up 20% of the CBD’s office space...

7. Austin
Progressive and entrepreneurial, Austin caters to all businesses, especially tech-related companies. Home values are significantly lower than competing markets...

8. Denver/ Boulder
Boasts a very well-educated workforce — more than 43% have a bachelor’s degree or higher...

9. San Diego
Military and defense contractors contribute to growing cybersecurity, aerospace, software, and mobile technology industries...

10. Madison, Wisconsin
A small tech hotspot because of home-grown talent– from Epic Systems, a developer and provider of healthcare software, to a variety of gaming software firms...

Tech Cities 1.0 - Cushman & Wakefield
Raleigh and Boston ahead of Seattle? Not sure if I agree with that. DC has a case because of the cyber security industry.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:06 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Raleigh and Boston ahead of Seattle? Not sure if I agree with that. DC has a case because of the cyber security industry.

Boston receives nearly 4x the venture capital Seattle does.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2016/02...the-us/470208/

Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
How is Los Angeles and "Silicon Beach" not on this list? It's almost as if they conveniently forgot about it.

I think Boulder might be bigger for tech than Denver. Either way, I'm in the tech industry in Denver and I'm not impressed by people's work ethic out here. It's also way too small of a tech market for a city of it's size and not very diverse.

Austin on the other hand is much more impressive for a city of it's size, IMHO.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I think Boulder might be bigger for tech than Denver. Either way, I'm in the tech industry in Denver and I'm not impressed by people's work ethic out here. It's also way too small of a tech market for a city of it's size and not very diverse.
I think Boulder would be counted as Denver since it's within the same metro area.

I wonder where Atlanta ranks.

EDIT: I should have read the article first. I see Atlanta is at #11.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think Boulder would be counted as Denver since it's within the same metro area.

That I get but there is a lot more tech / app companies stretching from Broomfield on out to Boulder than Denver downtown by itself. A lot more energy and consulting firms in downtown (and way too many brand new apartment buildings.)

Where did you see ATL at number 11? I can only see 10 when I click into it.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

The Twin Cities is #11; Atlanta ranks 17th. http://www.cushmanwakefield.com/~/me...nteractive.pdf (p. 19)

Old 08-28-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Twin Cities is #11; Atlanta ranks 17th. http://www.cushmanwakefield.com/~/me...nteractive.pdf (p. 19)
Thanks for that link for the download. At first glance, the reporting is already bothering me:

There are some major holes in that ranking. For instance, Boston/Cambridge, Denver/Boulder, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Minneapolis/St. Paul are listed in all surveys as the same metro area for combined statistics.

However, San Francisco and Oakland as well as L.A. and Orange County are broken up as separate markets even though they are in the same metro areas (heck, San Francisco and San Jose are listed as separate markets, another weird mistake). And San Mateo is just a city in the metro area located between San Jose and San Francisco. I guess San Mateo is where the dividing line is?

If you combine these two markets (like they should be) both Los Angeles and San Francisco would be much higher as a result. So the reporting in my opinion doesn't check out like they should.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:13 PM

8,868 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Boston receives nearly 4x the venture capital Seattle does.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2016/02...the-us/470208/
Startups are one factor out of several. This seems to confuse some people. Companies that employ 50,000 local people in high-value jobs (programming etc.) also have a wee bit of a role.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 PM

8,868 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Without opening the link, my impression is it's related to leased space only (that's what brokerages count, go figure). The really huge companies that mostly own their own space might not be counted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City