Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Dallas 60 28.44%
Minneapolis 79 37.44%
St. Louis 14 6.64%
Atlanta 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many know St Louis or even spent any time there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 06:46 PM

70 posts, read 58,120 times
Everything on this forum is just like the direction of this country -- everything is based on 'feelings' and perceptions.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:03 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Minneapolis is meh. Very insular, locals think it's the best place on Earth. Weather is beyond terrible nearly year round. It has a good local economy though
Have you actually been to Minneapolis? I moved to the Minneapolis area from the West coast and disagree with you. Yes, it can be hard to get into the local circles, but I've been able to meet plenty of people (local and from elsewhere) through work and networking. As far as locals thinking it's the best place on Earth, I've had much different experiences with locals. Those I've met are pretty critical of Minneapolis and it (and St. Paul) should be a much better place. As far as weather is concerned, mid- to late December through February - awful; March and April - cooler spring months; May and June - perfect temps; July and August - can be hot and humid; September through October - perfect temps, great fall weather; November through mid-December - temps start dropping, snow starts to accumulate.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:22 PM

171 posts, read 179,662 times
I'm from Minneapolis but voted Dallas. I've never been there. But it seems to be growing fast.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:28 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Have you actually been to Minneapolis? I moved to the Minneapolis area from the West coast and disagree with you. Yes, it can be hard to get into the local circles, but I've been able to meet plenty of people (local and from elsewhere) through work and networking. As far as locals thinking it's the best place on Earth, I've had much different experiences with locals. Those I've met are pretty critical of Minneapolis and it (and St. Paul) should be a much better place. As far as weather is concerned, mid- to late December through February - awful; March and April - cooler spring months; May and June - perfect temps; July and August - can be hot and humid; September through October - perfect temps, great fall weather; November through mid-December - temps start dropping, snow starts to accumulate.
Yes I've been to Minneapolis in fact for work like 5x over the last two years. Unless you want to say "its great" because you're a native regards to weather, it's not. It's compared IMHO to Morristown, NJ where winters are miserable and spring stinks.

Compared to Denver or Los Angeles? LOL Dallas beats you out in Winter without a doubt. And in NJ you could sled in January but it sucks otherwise. Nobody goes Ice Fishing - that's a Canadian sport.

You can't deny winters are long and springs are fast. Hence why I say Dallas rules for sanity sake.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:42 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
I'm from Minneapolis but voted Dallas. I've never been there. But it seems to be growing fast.

Quote:
Yes I've been to Minneapolis in fact for work like 5x over the last two years. Unless you want to say "its great" because you're a native regards to weather, it's not. It's compared IMHO to Morristown, NJ where winters are miserable and spring stinks.

Compared to Denver or Los Angeles? LOL Dallas beats you out in Winter without a doubt. And in NJ you could sled in January but it sucks otherwise. Nobody goes Ice Fishing - that's a Canadian sport.

You can't deny winters are long and springs are fast. Hence why I say Dallas rules for sanity sake.
I never stated it's great. Just pointing out that you are exaggerating about the weather and flat out lying about the locals.

Not sure why you brought Denver and Los Angeles into the conversation.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:45 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
One thing I want to add about the Twin Cities is I wonder if they'll be able to reverse their trend of losing more residents to other states than they've gained.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM

171 posts, read 179,662 times
Quote:

Yimby thinks Minneapolis is then worlds greatest city. Its not and yes the winters are long. Dallas is growing really fast for a reason.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:36 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I wonder how many know St Louis or even spent any time there
I love St Louis and lived there for a while, but the city cannot compete with Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston.

I lived in Soulard and liked the character of that area, but a large chunk of the city is abandoned and unsafe. I think St Louis is one of the few cities in the country where people from the suburbs have no desire to visit. Compare that to a place like Chicago where everyone from the suburbs comes out on the weekend for their food and museum fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
Yimby thinks Minneapolis is then worlds greatest city. Its not and yes the winters are long. Dallas is growing really fast for a reason.
Dallas is growing because it doesn't have harsh winter weather, taxes are low, jobs are plentiful, and homes are affordable.

Minneapolis is a much better place to live than Dallas if you can deal with the winters. Minneapolis feels more urban, has more character and a historic feel, and has nature.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I love St Louis and lived there for a while, but the city cannot compete with Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston.

I lived in Soulard and liked the character of that area, but a large chunk of the city is abandoned and unsafe. I think St Louis is one of the few cities in the country where people from the suburbs have no desire to visit. Compare that to a place like Chicago where everyone from the suburbs comes out on the weekend for their food and museum fix.

Dallas is growing because it doesn't have harsh winter weather, taxes are low, jobs are plentiful, and homes are affordable.

Minneapolis is a much better place to live than Dallas if you can deal with the winters. Minneapolis feels more urban, has more character and a historic feel, and has nature.
Now Chicago is a different story.

ATL and Dallas doesn't do it for me with food. Their neighborhoods remind me of Maplewood and Kirkwood. Economy yes. Food and neighborhoods no.

How suburbs think about the city is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City