Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better public transit?
Toronto 39 35.45%
Chicago 71 64.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:50 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times

Advertisements

Toronto smacks Chicago's ugly face. #1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Toronto smacks Chicago's ugly face. #1
Why do you think Toronto "smacks Chicago's ugly face" on this?

Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Chicago has a larger mass transit network when it comes to rapid transit and commuter rail, so I'd say Chicago. Its age made it pretty rough for a while, but Chicago has expended quite a bit of effort in rehabilitating much of the system so its performance is back up again.

Both cities could use much improved transit though, and Chicago could especially use a line that that doesn't go through the Loop directly. I think one that uses the express tracks that the Purple Line uses that instead of running only in peak hours and going down into the Loop with the Brown Line, it takes those express tracks and then follows the Red Line underground where it then goes due south on Halstead all the way to 63rd street if not much further. Another good one would be to not run the Ashland branch as part of the Green Line, but instead a separate line that tracks along 63rd street from Woodlawn to Midway.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:55 AM

^ Actually Chicago does have one line that does not go through the Loop - the Yellow line. Though it's the least used line in the system by far.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Actually Chicago does have one line that does not go through the Loop - the Yellow line. Though it's the least used line in the system by far.
Yes, I know it. Didn’t mention the Skokie Swift because of its three station service. That being said, if the Purple Line were to be sent down Halstead instead of the Loop, the Yellow Line should take over the current Purple Line route during peak hours.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:45 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
I would argue Chicago due to its larger network coverage.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
I've been taking the train in Chicago from O'Hare to downtown and from downtown to other parts. It was an interesting experience as far fellow travelers were concerned ... People starting to talk to you about religion and such. Overall, outside of downtown, Chicago just does not feel right to me. From a personal safety point of view, I'd take public transportation in Toronto anytime over Chicago.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:39 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I would argue Chicago due to its larger network coverage.
But Chicago is nearly twice as large as Toronto, so it needs larger coverage.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I've been taking the train in Chicago from O'Hare to downtown and from downtown to other parts. It was an interesting experience as far fellow travelers were concerned ... People starting to talk to you about religion and such. Overall, outside of downtown, Chicago just does not feel right to me. From a personal safety point of view, I'd take public transportation in Toronto anytime over Chicago.
Where have you been outside of downtown in Chicago? The blue line is interesting and a crapshoot as far as experience goes. I used to take it all the time. And after living in Chicago for nearly a decade, the only crime I ever saw was a guy pickpocketing a lady on a very busy train...which I've also seen in cities like Rome first hand. Other than that, never once had an issue with security in nearly a decade.

But my question remains..where outside of downtown have you spent time?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:14 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
I voted for Chicago ... by a nose. Yes the L is a larger network than the TTC subway, but Chicago is a much larger metro than Toronto (nearly 10M vs. nearly 6M), plus, Toronto is increasingly using LRT to expand the reach of the subway. The 4.3 mile Scarborough Line is LRT, but I believe is being converted to HRT to extend the Bloor-Danforth Line. Also, there's the Harbour LRT which starts out as a subway connection to the Union Station subway stop, and the extensive Ellington crosstown subway-surface LRT under construction. So really, to be fair to Toronto, rapid transit isn't just restricted to the 3 HRT lines.

Obviously the Chicago L, begun in 1892, is one of the classic, world legacy transit networks. But it is outdated and clunky in many ways, like too many, close-spaced stations in some areas, like the far north Red Line with stations every few blocks greatly slowing trains traversing such a huge city. Also, while quaint and interesting, those old, weather-exposed wooden platforms, esp in the downtown area, are not conducive to the tastes of a cyber-generation that likes creature comforts. Add to that the archaic poor transfer aspects of certain lines in/near the Loop as well as at-grade switching and crossing between lines, which slow trains considerably at times, esp during rush hour. Maybe that was cool for a Late 19th, early 20th century city, but not for 2018.

In addition, GO-Transit is in the in the early stages of electrifying a number of Toronto's several commuter rail lines (including the recently added airport branch) -- it's a very extensive, impressive system as it is. Once this occurs, along with the aforementioned Ellington expansion, I will have to switch my vote to Tornoto, given there are not any such major expansions/conversions for the L anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City