Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better public transit?
Toronto 39 35.45%
Chicago 71 64.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago's urban area has 9.1 million people in 2600 square miles. It's smaller than the Greater Toronto Area in terms of physical size. Hasn't this been done to death yet?
Urban area is not the same thing as metropolitan area. The Greater Toronto-Hamilton urban area has 6.7 million people in only 888 sq. miles. It's the densest urban area in the U.S. and Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Urban area is not the same thing as metropolitan area. The Greater Toronto-Hamilton urban area has 6.7 million people in only 888 sq. miles. It's the densest urban area in the U.S. and Canada.
Urban area between Canada and the US are not standardized as far as I know. If you want, you can try grabbing stats for municipalities or census tracts and compile them to the most urban of a contiguous roughly 888 square mile area for Chicago (for that matter, you might consider doing it for several other metropolitan areas since you’re arguing its the densest in all of the US and Canada). For that, Chicago would likely hug the waterfront for the most part going north and possibly include Milwaukee (which Metra really should be serving, but for politics).

Old 06-18-2018, 06:34 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Urban area between Canada and the US are not standardized as far as I know. If you want, you can try grabbing stats for municipalities or census tracts and compile them to the most urban of a contiguous roughly 888 square mile area for Chicago (for that matter, you might consider doing it for several other metropolitan areas since you’re arguing its the densest in all of the US and Canada).

Both of those figures for the Chicago and Toronto urban areas where taken from Demographia's World Urban Areas 2018.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Both of those figures for the Chicago and Toronto urban areas where taken from Demographia's World Urban Areas 2018.
Good, but how do they decide the boundaries? Zip code? Census plot? Municipality? The devil’s in the details and the details provided are usually based on the country’s reporting methodology

Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Good, but how do they decide the boundaries? Zip code? Census plot? Municipality? The devil’s in the details and the details provided are usually based on the country’s reporting methodology
The United Nations list is based off continuous density down to a certain threshold.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The United Nations list is based off continuous density down to a certain threshold.
Right, but continuous density broken into what portions? It's possible to break it off in multiple ways.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Back to the topic at hand about, at least about size, coverage, etc..

Subway/Elevated, Number of Lines
Chicago: 8 lines
Toronto: 4 lines (2 more currently U/C)

Winner: Chicago

Subway/Elevated, Number of Stations
Chicago: 145 stations (at least 2 more that will open in the next few years, and a handful more with Red Line expansion if that happens)
Toronto: 75 stations (I've heard anywhere from 22 to 40 currently U/C)

Subway/Elevated, Wheelchair Accessible Stations
Chicago: 105 stations (72.4% of all stations in the system)
Toronto: 42 stations (56% of all stations in the system)

Subway/Elevated, Track mileage
Chicago: 224.1 miles
Toronto: 47.8 miles (with another 12 miles of track U/C)

Subway/Elevated, Number of Cars
Chicago: 1492 rail cars
Toronto: 858 rail cars

Subway/Elevated, Operating Hours
Chicago: 2 lines run 24/7 (Red and Blue Lines). Most other lines start service between 3:30am and end service anywhere from 1am and 2:30am depending on the line.

Toronto: Weekdays/Saturdays = 6am and 1:30am. Sundays = 8am to 1:30am

Winner: Chicago (2 24/7 lines for Chicago and most other lines are 20 to 22 hours per day whereas Toronto operates at most 19.5 hours per day)

Subway/Elevated, Airport Connectivity
Chicago: The Blue (O'Hare) and Orange (Midway) Lines directly connect to 2 airports.
Toronto: 0 (UP Express train goes to YYZ, though that's not TTC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though..)

Streetcars
Toronto has 11 street car routes with 52 miles of total length and 685 stops. Chicago doesn't have a street car system anymore, so obviously Toronto wins on this.

City Buses, Total routes
Toronto: 140+
Chicago: 129 routes

Winner: Toronto

City Buses, Number of stops
Chicago: 10,768 stops
Toronto: Can't find a definitive answer but it's around the same as Chicago from what I can find (10K-11K+)

Winner: Tied

City Buses, Accessibility
Chicago: All buses are wheelchair accessible
Toronto: All buses are wheelchair accessible

Winner: Tied. It's good both systems thought about this...

City Buses, total number of buses
Toronto: 2250 buses (counting Paratransit)
Chicago: 1864 buses

City Buses, total route length
Toronto: 4308 miles
Chicago: 1536 miles

Commuter Rail, total number of routes
Chicago (Metra): 11 lines
Toronto (GO Transit): 7 (8 if you count Union Pearson Express?)

Commuter Rail, total number of stations
Chicago (Metra): 242 stations
Toronto (GO Transit): 66 stations

Commuter Rail, total track length
Chicago (Metra): 487.7 miles
Toronto (GO Transit): 281 miles

Commuter Rail, Airport Connectivity

Chicago: 1 (Metra goes to O'Hare. The nearest Metra stop for Midway is a mile or two away so that doesn't count)
Toronto: 1 (Union Pearson Express)

Suburban Bus, total number of routes
Chicago (PACE Bus): 209 routes
Toronto (GO Transit): 148 routes (as far as I can find)

I think both PACE and GO Transit are all wheelchair accessible too.

All in all on this, I think the Chicago El/Subway definitely beats the TTC's subway, but if you factor in Toronto's street car system then it kind of evens up. The bus systems in the city are fairly even, maybe Toronto in front - both have good connectivity to the rail/street car systems too. So city-wise I think Toronto and Chicago are fairly even in the end. If you look at the overall region though, Metra's coverage blows GO Transit's rail system out of the water IMO. The bus systems (PACE for Chicago area and GO Transit for Toronto) are more even though Chicago still has more routes.

So in the end, I think for the city-wise it's pretty even. If you go out to the regional level then I think Chicago goes ahead of Toronto with the difference being the commuter rail (heavy rail) network.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Back to the topic at hand about, at least about size, coverage, etc..

Subway/Elevated, Number of Lines
Chicago: 8 lines
Toronto: 4 lines (2 more currently U/C)

Subway/Elevated, Number of Stations
Chicago: 145 stations (at least 2 more that will open in the next few years, and a handful more with Red Line expansion if that happens)
Toronto: 75 stations (I've heard anywhere from 22 to 40 currently U/C)

Subway/Elevated, Wheelchair Accessible Stations
Chicago: 105 stations (72.4% of all stations in the system)
Toronto: 42 stations (56% of all stations in the system)

Subway/Elevated, Track mileage
Chicago: 224.1 miles
Toronto: 47.8 miles (with another 12 miles of track U/C)

Subway/Elevated, Number of Cars
Chicago: 1492 rail cars
Toronto: 858 rail cars

Subway/Elevated, Operating Hours
Chicago: 2 lines run 24/7 (Red and Blue Lines). Most other lines start service between 3:30am and end service anywhere from 1am and 2:30am depending on the line.

Toronto: Weekdays/Saturdays = 6am and 1:30am. Sundays = 8am to 1:30am

Winner: Chicago (2 24/7 lines for Chicago and most other lines are 20 to 22 hours per day whereas Toronto operates at most 19.5 hours per day)

Subway/Elevated, Airport Connectivity
Chicago: The Blue (O'Hare) and Orange (Midway) Lines directly connect to 2 airports.
Toronto: 0 (UP Express train goes to YYZ, though that's not TTC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though..)

Streetcars
Toronto has 11 street car routes with 52 miles of total length and 685 stops. Chicago doesn't have a street car system anymore, so obviously Toronto wins on this.

City Buses, Total routes
Toronto: 140+
Chicago: 129 routes

City Buses, Number of stops
Chicago: 10,768 stops
Toronto: Can't find a definitive answer but it's around the same as Chicago from what I can find (10K-11K+)

City Buses, Accessibility
Chicago: All buses are wheelchair accessible
Toronto: All buses are wheelchair accessible

Winner: Tied. It's good both systems thought about this...

City Buses, total number of buses
Toronto: 2250 buses (counting Paratransit)
Chicago: 1864 buses

City Buses, total route length
Toronto: 4308 miles
Chicago: 1536 miles

Commuter Rail, total number of routes
Chicago (Metra): 11 lines
Toronto (GO Transit): 7 (8 if you count Union Pearson Express?)

Commuter Rail, total number of stations
Chicago (Metra): 242 stations
Toronto (GO Transit): 66 stations

Commuter Rail, total track length
Chicago (Metra): 487.7 miles
Toronto (GO Transit): 281 miles

Commuter Rail, Airport Connectivity

Chicago: 1 (Metra goes to O'Hare. The nearest Metra stop for Midway is a mile or two away so that doesn't count)
Toronto: 1 (Union Pearson Express)

Suburban Bus, total number of routes
Chicago (PACE Bus): 209 routes
Toronto (GO Transit): 148 routes (as far as I can find)

I think both PACE and GO Transit are all wheelchair accessible too.

All in all on this, I think the Chicago El/Subway definitely beats the TTC's subway, but if you factor in Toronto's street car system then it kind of evens up. The bus systems in the city are fairly even, maybe Toronto in front - both have good connectivity to the rail/street car systems too. So city-wise I think Toronto and Chicago are fairly even in the end. If you look at the overall region though, Metra's coverage blows GO Transit's rail system out of the water IMO. The bus systems (PACE for Chicago area and GO Transit for Toronto) are more even though Chicago still has more routes.

So in the end, I think for the city-wise it's pretty even. If you go out to the regional level then I think Chicago goes ahead of Toronto with the difference being the commuter rail (heavy rail) network.
Again, these stats, while nice, are meaningless. You're comparing apples to oranges. Does New York's subway beat Chicago coverage wise? Of course. Should it, given its relative size, population and (ridiculous) density over Chicago? Absolutely. Does the Chicago L beat Cleveland's Rapid? Does Cleveland's Rapid beat Buffalo's Metro Rail? Does Metro Rail beat Youngstown or Peoria or Duluth or Walla-Walla, or...?

... and your stats didn't include how smaller Toronto and its less-than-half-the-size TTC heavy rail subway (as you would say) BLOWS AWAY Chicago L's ridership ... despite all that superior size and coverage you boast about. (and btw, you don't measure a system by track size, you do so by route mileage, and Chicago's un-duplicated route size is closer to 106 miles vs. Toronto's 46, or so. And despite your comment that Metra supposedly "blows away" GO Transit commuter rail, you don't comment on Metra's disjointed, non-connecting, non-through (the Loop) service or do you address, despite your implication, that GO doesn't not comprehensively serve smaller metro Toronto... because it most certainly does.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Again, these stats, while nice, are meaningless. You're comparing apples to oranges. Does New York's subway beat Chicago coverage wise? Of course. Should it, given its relative size, population and (ridiculous) density over Chicago? Absolutely. Does the Chicago L beat Cleveland's Rapid? Does Cleveland's Rapid beat Buffalo's Metro Rail? Does Metro Rail beat Youngstown or Peoria or Duluth or Walla-Walla, or...?

... and your stats didn't include how smaller Toronto and its less-than-half-the-size TTC heavy rail subway BLOWS AWAY Chicago L's ridership ... despite all that superior size and coverage you boast about. (and btw, you don't measure a system by track size, you do so by route mileage, and Chicago's un-duplicated route size is closer to 106 miles vs. Toronto's 46, or so.
How are these stats by themselves meaningless? An interpretation of them might provide better understanding, but I can't see how these by themselves be meaningless.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:18 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

... and your stats didn't include how smaller Toronto and its less-than-half-the-size TTC heavy rail subway BLOWS AWAY Chicago L's ridership ... despite all that superior size and coverage you boast about. (and btw, you don't measure a system by track size, you do so by route mileage, and Chicago's un-duplicated route size is closer to 106 miles vs. Toronto's 46, or so.
But does the ridership have more to do with land use policy and development patterns than the actual quality of the service/systems? That’s not a rhetorical question - I’m honestly curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City