Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better public transit?
Toronto 39 35.45%
Chicago 71 64.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 02:52 PM

424 posts, read 466,011 times

Advertisements

Chicago comes out ahead with transit coverage - 11 commuter rail lines and 8 elevated heavy rail lines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 08:46 AM

276 posts, read 168,710 times
As of today Chicago, but Toronto seems to be making bigger investments for the future.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:43 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Regardless of how many rail lines and bus routes there are, if personal safety when using public transportation is of any concern Toronto is the clear winner.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:10 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Regardless of how many rail lines and bus routes there are, if personal safety when using public transportation is of any concern Toronto is the clear winner.
what?

Old 05-28-2021, 02:16 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times
Quote:
Guess I should be scared on my next trip there this summer..... planning to use the L there as usual on visits. Guess you filled me in why I should not....... Guess you are enjoying street-views of these terrible US cities from Germany. Maybe you can get to Toronto this year.... try to get to one of your favorite cities to view on street-view too.... not too far from Toronto on the US Side of course. You can use a bullet-proof Uber maybe.

From your Germany waaaaay back in 1980 Rockpalast a German TV show.

Song: ZZ Top performing - Jesus Just Left Chicago..... enjoy some Blues performed.... way back.
Live on German Television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN69GC2amTg

Old 05-28-2021, 02:44 PM

424 posts, read 466,011 times
Quote:

Really? I use the CTA everyday by myself to run errands and go to work. I have never been assaulted on any elevated line in any neighborhood ever...

Have you been assaulted on the CTA? Do you know anyone personally who has been assaulted on the CTA? I have doubts that you would.

It is always in the realm of possibility but to think assaults only happen on the CTA and never on Toronto's GoTransit is just...I don't even know what.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:53 PM

153 posts, read 110,430 times
Quote:
Agreed, but I would argue this is not the argument at hand.

As for the debate itself, Chicago is the definitive winner. There are lines even out to Indiana, I believe.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:13 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
Agreed, but I would argue this is not the argument at hand.

As for the debate itself, Chicago is the definitive winner. There are lines even out to Indiana, I believe.
South Shore Line does run east to Michigan City, with a handful of trains even running as far east as South Bend. There is a proposal for NICTD to one day create a West Lake Corridor to Dyer, IN. Though their main project for now that is just beginning this year(with the downtown Michigan City station recently temporarily closed to reconstruct it into a high level platform), is to double track their line between Gary and Michigan City.

Don't forget besides Metra, that Amtrak has several regional and long distance train lines going to/from Chicago.

I'm thinking with this, that it's probably a draw as far as Chicago and Toronto transit systems go. The only things I think Toronto does that Chicago doesn't, is that they did set up a commuter rail train (if I recall correctly) from Pierson Airport, and have a streetcar system. Though as far as streetcars go, downtown Kenosha, Wisconsin does have a streetcar running on a loop route, which isn't too far away. Interestingly enough, one of Kenosha's streetcars is an ex-TTC(Toronto) streetcar!

Also, your chances of having a crime occur if you ride the L are low. The way more annoying thing, is the fact the CTA never does enough to enforce rules on the L. I.e. that people sneak smoking in the 'hobo corner' part of middle and rear L cars near the operator booth, soliciting and begging people for money, and other rule breaking things. It'd make a WORLD of difference if Chicago Police Transit Detail(the part of Chicago Police assigned to the L system, though to me they don't do enough) would start having 2 cops walk undercover between L cars, to remind people to obey the rules. Plus to issue tickets and kick people off the train, if necessary. Usually people obey the rules well in the front car or 2 near the train operator, but it's the middle and rear cars where rules aren't always obeyed(sigh).

Old 05-29-2021, 03:30 PM

395 posts, read 598,210 times
Toronto wins in terms of having a far superior bus system with exceptionally high frequencies even in the suburbs. It arguable has the best bus service in NA. Toronto also has streetcars and it's entire fleet of buses and subways are kept in a better state of repair.

Chicago has a much larger subway system serving far larger areas of the city although Toronto has twice the ridership. Metra still has the edge over GO.

In 5 years, Toronto will have the superior transit system due to billions being spend on subway and LRT construction and especially due to the 250km GO RER system being built along with expanding the GO commuter system. RER will nearly completely grade separated and totally so in the City and the LOWEST frequency level will be every 15 minutes each way even late night Sunday. During regular hours and as the lines converge closer to the City, it will basically be a subway system in all but name.

Old 05-29-2021, 03:58 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Toronto wins in terms of having a far superior bus system with exceptionally high frequencies even in the suburbs. It arguable has the best bus service in NA. Toronto also has streetcars and it's entire fleet of buses and subways are kept in a better state of repair.

Chicago has a much larger subway system serving far larger areas of the city although Toronto has twice the ridership. Metra still has the edge over GO.

In 5 years, Toronto will have the superior transit system due to billions being spend on subway and LRT construction and especially due to the 250km GO RER system being built along with expanding the GO commuter system. RER will nearly completely grade separated and totally so in the City and the LOWEST frequency level will be every 15 minutes each way even late night Sunday. During regular hours and as the lines converge closer to the City, it will basically be a subway system in all but name.
Montreal appears to be ahead of Toronto here (bus), with a higher daily ridership and a higher amount of routes, despite the lower population.

That being said, both Montreal and Toronto are far surpassing American cities in terms of public transit investments and expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City