Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you like to live in?
Atlanta 94 54.02%
Nashville 69 39.66%
Either one 11 6.32%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
What are some of the major Black events in Nashville?
Receipts:

TSU Homecoming

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGdOSJ-7h_s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DTamln1YzZE

Meharry Match Day

https://home.mmc.edu/scenes-match-day-2018/

Black Pride

https://www.nashvilleblackpride.org/aboutus

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=03MMDGeZnkY

John A. Merritt Classic

EVENTS - John A. Merritt Classic

Nashville Black Women's Expo

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nashvil...ts-48739891327

Nashville African Street Festival

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9N2iSBwhsYI

St Festival - African American Cultural Alliance

Music City Jazz Festival

Home - Summerset, Jazz

Nashville Soul Music Festival

https://www.etix.com/ticket/p/793838...music-festival

Nashville Black Chamber Events

2018 Events

FISK Jubilee Singers Featuring India Arie

https://ryman.com/events/fisk-jubilee-singers-2019/

Nashville Natural Hair Expo

https://m.facebook.com/nnhwe/

DOVE Awards, was held in Atlanta in 2011 and 2012, but now back in Nashville

https://doveawards.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 06:37 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
The DOVE Awards isn't really a Black event though; that would be the Stellar Awards. Otherwise, solid list but do any of these events have similar notoriety as or pull big crowds like Battle of the Bands, Bronner Brothers Hair Show, CIAA Tournament, Magic City Classic, Bayou Classic, Essence Festival, GHOE, SpelHouse Homecoming, Howard's Homecoming, AFRAM, Roots Picnic, AfroPunk, etc? I know some people who went to TSU and I hear their homecoming, while not a 'top tier' HBCU homecoming, is pretty good. How do Nashville's Black music festivals compare to the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis?

Old 03-22-2019, 07:11 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The DOVE Awards isn't really a Black event though; that would be the Stellar Awards. Otherwise, solid list but do any of these events have similar notoriety as or pull big crowds like Battle of the Bands, Bronner Brothers Hair Show, CIAA Tournament, Magic City Classic, Bayou Classic, Essence Festival, GHOE, SpelHouse Homecoming, Howard's Homecoming, AFRAM, Roots Picnic, AfroPunk, etc? I know some people who went to TSU and I hear their homecoming, while not a 'top tier' HBCU homecoming, is pretty good. How do Nashville's Black music festivals compare to the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis?

I think this is way over analyzed at this point. The only point was that Nashville isn't all things White just like Atlanta isn't all things Black as many people would have you to believe... It's actually annoying on both accounts, truth be told and no disrespect to anyone. By the way, Nashville is blacker than most cities you would think, example Seattle or Austin, just FYI

Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I guess with me, I have been visiting Nashville multiple times of the year for family ever since I can remember. I met my last boyfriend in Nashville who is a Meharry alumni. So I am quite familiar with it not being as homogenous as some may think.

Nashville doesn't have the Black cultural experience of Atlanta, DC or NYC or many of the 2nd tier Black cities. I would place Nashville in the 3rd tier of cities for Black cultural offerings. When we consider that the city is home to multiple Black HBCU's, that isn't saying much. When considering the size of the Black population, it is right where it needs to be.

Nashville may be a nice city for some to settle in, for others it isn't. It has its good points and bad. I would say again for what the OP is looking for, I would choose Atlanta over the long term because it has so much to offer young people.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I guess with me, I have been visiting Nashville multiple times of the year for family ever since I can remember. I met my last boyfriend in Nashville who is a Meharry alumni. So I am quite familiar with it not being as homogenous as some may think.

Nashville doesn't have the Black cultural experience of Atlanta, DC or NYC or many of the 2nd tier Black cities. I would place Nashville in the 3rd tier of cities for Black cultural offerings. When we consider that the city is home to multiple Black HBCU's, that isn't saying much. When considering the size of the Black population, it is right where it needs to be.

Nashville may be a nice city for some to settle in, for others it isn't. It has its good points and bad. I would say again for what the OP is looking for, I would choose Atlanta over the long term because it has so much to offer young people.
This isn't cut and dry and i think everyone should speak for themselves. As a black male for me that would be a negative. I choose Nashville as some one who has resided in Atlanta for over 20 years. If you ask me that 15 to 20 years ago, I would say Atlanta.. Things change!! It's a lot of reasons I say this but I wont go there... Also to in ref to the OP, I don't think I would be basing my decision off of a Cities black experience. I would go by the best opportunities offered to me personally when it comes to this. They would be doing them selves a major injustice otherwise

Last edited by oobanks; 03-22-2019 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-22-2019, 08:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I think this is way over analyzed at this point. The only point was that Nashville isn't all things White just like Atlanta isn't all things Black as many people would have you to believe... It's actually annoying on both accounts, truth be told and no disrespect to anyone. By the way, Nashville is blacker than most cities you would think, example Seattle or Austin, just FYI
I never said Nashville was "all things White" or Atlanta was "all things Black." I'm always deliberate in what I say and how I say it. However, perception is reality in many cases and Nashville doesn't have the buzz as a hotspot for Blacks to relocate to as its other booming counterparts in the Southeast like Charlotte and the Triangle which, I think, is due to the fact that the city has chosen to cultivate its cultural brand around things that are more to White folks' liking and less to Black folks' liking--like country music. Yes I know the music scene in Nashville goes well beyond country but when it comes to branding, that's what Nashville has stuck with and it makes sense given the genre's roots in the city and surrounding areas. Maybe the city will choose to become more inclusive of Black cultural elements with its branding in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I Think everyone should speak for themselves. As a black male for me that would be a negative. I choose Nashville as some one who has resided in Atlanta for over 20 years. If you ask me that 15 to 20 years ago, I would say Atlanta.. Things change!! It's a lot of reasons I say this but I wont go there...
Not only do things change, but YOU have changed. We all get older and our preferences change. A Black guy in his early 20's is going to value different things and have different preferences than you and for many young Black guys, Atlanta is the poppin', happening city today just how you perceived it when you were their age.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I never said Nashville was "all things White" or Atlanta was "all things Black." I'm always deliberate in what I say and how I say it. However, perception is reality in many cases and Nashville doesn't have the buzz as a hotspot for Blacks to relocate to as its other booming counterparts in the Southeast like Charlotte and the Triangle which, I think, is due to the fact that the city has chosen to cultivate its cultural brand around things that are more to White folks' liking and less to Black folks' liking--like country music. Yes I know the music scene in Nashville goes well beyond country but when it comes to branding, that's what Nashville has stuck with and it makes sense given the genre's roots in the city and surrounding areas. Maybe the city will choose to become more inclusive of Black cultural elements with its branding in the near future.

Not only do things change, but YOU have changed. We all get older and our preferences change. A Black guy in his early 20's is going to value different things and have different preferences than you and for many young Black guys, Atlanta is the poppin', happening city today just how you perceived it when you were their age.
I agree with this on some levels, and even somewhat with the age thing and changing but with some, it's just not as cut and dry as you would make it out to be. Example, these Cities aren't just Black and White anymore, they have a Hispanic, Asian, African, and many other cultures blended right in. Its how the layout of the populations are in Nashville that I have taken a liken to as well sooo I think even if I was in my 20's current day, Atlanta wouldn't do it for me but hey, that's me.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
Nashville's HRC score will never be 100 due to Tennessee's anti-progressive/lgbt political climate.
Georgia politics is horrific. The GOP owns this state and is openly regressive.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
It wasn't meant to be listed for comparison purposes, just to de-myth the stereotype that Nashville is all white.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I can agree with this. Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City