Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities over 100k, has a ton of potential and attractions that the public may not be a
Rochester, NY 10 9.26%
Cleveland, OH 27 25.00%
Greensboro, NC 13 12.04%
Detroit, MI 27 25.00%
Memphis, TN 14 12.96%
St Louis, MO 16 14.81%
Baton Rouge, LA 2 1.85%
Jackson, MS 2 1.85%
Birmingham, AL 15 13.89%
El Paso, TX 6 5.56%
Albuquerque, NM 11 10.19%
Fairbanks, AK 3 2.78%
Dayton, OH 10 9.26%
St Paul, MN 8 7.41%
Fort Worth, TX 17 15.74%
Worcester, MA 5 4.63%
Stamford, CT 3 2.78%
Newark, NJ 6 5.56%
Richmond, VA 11 10.19%
Ft Wayne, IN 4 3.70%
Sacramento, CA 19 17.59%
Tucson, AZ 8 7.41%
Jacksonville, FL 17 15.74%
Other City 13 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 07:24 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There is nothing impressive about the Orlando landscape yet it's the biggest tourist destination in the country and one of the top in the world. Houston is on another level than Charlotte.
I didn't say you need both manmade and natural attractions. One or the other is fine. Unfortunately, Houston and Charlotte are lacking in both.

Quote:
The problem with Houston is it developed its coastline with refiniries rather than highrises and homes on the water. It can become a better tourist city with redevelopment and better transit.
That's a stretch...not sure why anyone would want a view of murky brown water that's not even close to the beach/ocean. Houston is too far inland to be a true coastal city and, frankly, the area lakes and rivers are nicer anyways.

Both Houston and Charlotte will eventually become better tourist cities, but for now they are pretty unremarkable given their size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 04:10 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Atlantan's still seek more recognition as a premier US city that's World Class. These locals posting are basically saying that. But they are not being specific a to why Atlanta should have been on this list?

Really, the busiest in passenger #'s airport is generally known..... at least on C-D. Olympics is a bit too long ago to use. CNN. But would not be surprised at a merger with another in the future? Even to another city, largest Aquarium.

Atlantan's in C-D. See they get downplayed more then they feel their arrival has come. But do they really see this list of smaller metro's and rust-belt cities etc.? As Atlanta metro really should be on this list? Being a fast growing Sunbelt city yet.
Ft Worth is in the shadow of Dallas. St Pail of Minneapolis, El Paso so many other Texas state cities ..... etc. also.

No there's only one person from Atlanta in this thread seeking more recognition. Everyone else has been more reasonable.

Even though it probably isn't big enough to make this list, Huntsville, AL would be a city I would include as under-marketed. It has all of the natural attributes that Chattanooga has but never visited because it's kind of isolated. There'a also a NASA museum equivalent or better than the one in Houston and it has a very strong economy for a city its size.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:54 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
The premise is that these cities actually have a decent offering of good attractions. Neither Charlotte nor Houston have remarkable attractions. NASA is cool (been twice) and
There are many, many cultural tourists in the U.S.

Houston is on my bucket list to visit in winter (don't like high temperatures and humidity let alone flooding) to see the Johnson Space Center but most especially the Museum of Fine Arts, number 9 on this list and one of the best endowed in the U.S.

https://www.fodors.com/news/arts-cul...ums-in-america

As a major museum, I'm certain the exhibitions alone often would be worth a visit.

https://www.mfah.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum..._Arts,_Houston

I'm certain that I could very enjoyably spend a couple days in the Houston Museum District.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulevard_Saint-Germain

The Music Box Theater sounds very fun and seeing the Houston Symphony would be a goal:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ton_Texas.html

I would also want to tour Rice University.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
No there's only one person from Atlanta in this thread seeking more recognition. Everyone else has been more reasonable.

Even though it probably isn't big enough to make this list, Huntsville, AL would be a city I would include as under-marketed. It has all of the natural attributes that Chattanooga has but never visited because it's kind of isolated. There'a also a NASA museum equivalent or better than the one in Houston and it has a very strong economy for a city its size.
I have said this for years now. Most of my friends and family still laugh when I mention Huntsville and what it has to offer. It is Chattanooga's smarter less popular twin sister. Huntsville definitely needs a push.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I have said this for years now. Most of my friends and family still laugh when I mention Huntsville and what it has to offer. It is Chattanooga's smarter less popular twin sister. Huntsville definitely needs a push.

I can see this! I hear a lot of people speak of how nice Huntsville is but it seems to lack attention for some reason.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,951,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I can see this! I hear a lot of people speak of how nice Huntsville is but it seems to lack attention for some reason.
Most people think of Huntsville as Space Camp as not much else. Alabama in general is a pretty neglected state in terms of tourism, and outside of states bordering it (plus Louisiana), you don't hear much promoting it, as its a classic "nice to live, not so interesting to visit" type of city. It has a decent art museum and botanic garden, a minor league baseball stadium, as well as a museum inside an old railroad station as well as a children's museum, but nothing spectacular in terms of rare species or paintings. It also has some hiking on its easy side, but again, its a very "low frills" type of destination. You're not going to find many tours playing there (often playing at Birmingham/Nashville instead), an unimpressive downtown district for things "to do", and the Bridge Street Town Centre is about the best it has to offer, and its a typical contemporary lifestyle center that lacks character. It is what it is.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There is nothing impressive about the Orlando landscape yet it's the biggest tourist destination in the country and one of the top in the world. Houston is on another level than Charlotte. The problem with Houston is it developed its coastline with refiniries rather than highrises and homes on the water. It can become a better tourist city with redevelopment and better transit.
Outside of Galveston, homes on the water as i'm sure you know is asking to be flooded without getting much in return. I don't see Houston ever developing it's coast just because the Ship Channel/Refinery area was a swampy region historically, that made little sense even more so than down towards Galveston to Devolop it. Even then most of Houston was 20+ miles away from the bay. In the modern post 1960s Houston the only time the city could viably have developed the coast. But even then the city is simply to far and too physically small to support a multi-billion dollar new coastal city. Baytown and Galveston if they had gotten enough funding could maybe pull a Fort Lauderdale/Clearwater in 30 years, but sadly both of those places are still declining to some extent or are stuck in a rut. If Galveston does empty out and development from League City/Friendswood/Pearland/Missouri City spill more into Manvel/Alvin/Santa Fe Highway 6 corridor this could lead massive growth in Galveston as a new wealthier population South of Houston could possibly find Galveston as a mini-Houston that is closer than Downtown and spur tons of growth. Freeport as well is only growing in importance.

https://www.galvbaydata.org/www.galv...%20(small).jpg

But back to Advertising even with the misuse of coastal resources. LA is even closer has better Terrain and is a bigger city and still doesn't have skyscrapers on the coast (It very might in 20 years). Houston didn't really have a chance at best Galveston could have been a Santa Monica and still can be and if an area like League City can help develop it's surrounding towns like Bacliff and San Leon through spillover as it's much larger than those places we could possibly see some coastal development but I doubt it.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:21 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,297 times
Quote:
That's a stretch...not sure why anyone would want a view of murky brown water that's not even close to the beach/ocean.
Often, the waterfront presence alone provides more than enough incentive in spite of water appearance. Waters are also quite murky over at New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah, but people can't stop talking about how charming those cities are.

Quote:
Houston is too far inland to be a true coastal city
Do you feel the same way about the "East Coast" cities of Baltimore, DC, and Philadelphia?

Old 12-06-2019, 06:30 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
I

That's a stretch...not sure why anyone would want a view of murky brown water that's not even close to the beach/ocean. Houston is too far inland to be a true coastal city and, frankly, the area lakes and rivers are nicer anyways.
I don't see too much hesitation in awarding Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia, Baltimore, D.C. "coastal" status by the masses.

Looking at a map, it appears that Houston has a more legit claim on "coastal" than any of those places.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:59 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Philly or Portland, sure. But Seattle and Baltimore? I don't think you've looked at a map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City