Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities over 100k, has a ton of potential and attractions that the public may not be a
Rochester, NY 10 9.26%
Cleveland, OH 27 25.00%
Greensboro, NC 13 12.04%
Detroit, MI 27 25.00%
Memphis, TN 14 12.96%
St Louis, MO 16 14.81%
Baton Rouge, LA 2 1.85%
Jackson, MS 2 1.85%
Birmingham, AL 15 13.89%
El Paso, TX 6 5.56%
Albuquerque, NM 11 10.19%
Fairbanks, AK 3 2.78%
Dayton, OH 10 9.26%
St Paul, MN 8 7.41%
Fort Worth, TX 17 15.74%
Worcester, MA 5 4.63%
Stamford, CT 3 2.78%
Newark, NJ 6 5.56%
Richmond, VA 11 10.19%
Ft Wayne, IN 4 3.70%
Sacramento, CA 19 17.59%
Tucson, AZ 8 7.41%
Jacksonville, FL 17 15.74%
Other City 13 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 08:19 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta as the city in a forest/the metropolis in a forest is definitely a major branding issue.
What is the branding issue? Piedmont cities have high percentage of tree canopy, and anyone who watches Rick fight walkers in the woods with Atlanta’s skyline in the background has some understanding of that fact. Atlanta is one of the most marketed/branded cities in the country, and has been for decades. If every facet of Atlanta isn’t known by every American, that’s ok. It doesn’t mean Atlanta is poorly marketed, it just means people don’t need to know 25 things about a city they don’t live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 08:21 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
St. Louis gets my vote.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:25 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
What is the branding issue? Piedmont cities have high percentage of tree canopy, and anyone who watches Rick fight walkers in the woods with Atlanta’s skyline in the background has some understanding of that fact. Atlanta is one of the most marketed/branded cities in the country, and has been for decades. If every facet of Atlanta isn’t known by every American, that’s ok. It doesn’t mean Atlanta is poorly marketed, it just means people don’t need to know 25 things about a city they don’t live in.
Um, no.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:26 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
No, what?

I think your point is there are aspects to Atlanta that aren’t fully appreciated by those not from there. My point would be Atlanta has some of the strongest advertising/branding of any city outside the Big 3, and whether it is advertising different aspects than you would doesn’t really change that fact. Hotlanta hasn’t had a lack of branding.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
No, what?

I think your point is there are aspects to Atlanta that aren’t fully appreciated by those not from there. My point would be Atlanta has some of the strongest advertising/branding of any city outside the Big 3, and whether it is advertising different aspects than you would doesn’t really change that fact. Hotlanta hasn’t had a lack of branding.
Hotlanta?

Old 11-28-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
No, what?

Ok.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:48 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
There is a list of cities to choose and DISCUSS. Atlanta is not one. I voted my choices and did not include a Florida city. You have a White Sand Coast ..... really no Coastal Florida city ..... needs more branding. It has its shore and beaches to boast of. That needs no boasting.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
There is a list of cities to choose and DISCUSS. Atlanta is not one. I voted my choices and did not include a Florida city. You have a White Sand Coast ..... really no Coastal Florida city ..... needs more branding. It has its shore and beaches to boast of. That needs no boasting.
It is allowed.

And - threads have natural flows.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
The unique, white sand Emerald Coast does not need more/better branding.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:43 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Cleveland should cease to exist and Cuyahoga country should become a single city. Call it Ohio City or something like that. Start over as a bigger dot on the map and 10th most populous city in the US. A municipal/county merger could give a much more lean government structure and better services.
Probably, but whether it would produce a reversal of fortune is not as certain.

You might want to check out how the Unified Government (of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas) has worked out. I think Kansas' oldest urbanized county continues to struggle to keep residents even after the consolidation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta as the city in a forest/the metropolis in a forest is definitely a major branding issue.
Others have already told you otherwise, but I'll also chime in by noting that Atlanta began to take off in the Civil Rights era.

In 1960, Atlanta and Birmingham were about equal in size. But "The Pittsburgh of the South" got a black eye reputationally for the brutality with which it greeted civil-rights marchers and other supporters; the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing and Bull Connor made "Bombingham" a place to avoid.

During this same time period, Dr. Martin Luther King's hometown began to promote itself as "the city too busy to hate." And it pretty much lived up to that slogan. In the years after the "long hot summers" in the North, African-Americans especially began to flock to Atlanta because of its reputation for racial comity. And that helped Atlanta become the Mecca of the Deep South.

That people don't think of Atlanta as a city in a forest is no more of a problem than people not thinking of Kansas City as hilly, which most of the city and its environs is. Not hilly like Pittsburgh or San Francisco, but not flat like Chicago either, which many do think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City