Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities over 100k, has a ton of potential and attractions that the public may not be a
Rochester, NY 10 9.26%
Cleveland, OH 27 25.00%
Greensboro, NC 13 12.04%
Detroit, MI 27 25.00%
Memphis, TN 14 12.96%
St Louis, MO 16 14.81%
Baton Rouge, LA 2 1.85%
Jackson, MS 2 1.85%
Birmingham, AL 15 13.89%
El Paso, TX 6 5.56%
Albuquerque, NM 11 10.19%
Fairbanks, AK 3 2.78%
Dayton, OH 10 9.26%
St Paul, MN 8 7.41%
Fort Worth, TX 17 15.74%
Worcester, MA 5 4.63%
Stamford, CT 3 2.78%
Newark, NJ 6 5.56%
Richmond, VA 11 10.19%
Ft Wayne, IN 4 3.70%
Sacramento, CA 19 17.59%
Tucson, AZ 8 7.41%
Jacksonville, FL 17 15.74%
Other City 13 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 01:05 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
True, but I think import volume is pretty good metric. How well a given place is utilizing its coastal location. San Diego fails miserably here, and it looks like Houston is an overachiever.
I think that's not a measurement of "how coastal" a city is; it's merely a measurement of how busy its port is.

Basically, a coastal city has a port that can handle oceangoing ships, period. A city is either coastal or it isn't.

(Wait, that puts Washington, which has no such port, out of the running. Yet it's considered a coastal metropolis. My brain hurts.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 02:41 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Washington didn't develop organically like other cities. It wasn't meant to be a port city.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:58 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
This board loves to put definitions on subjective things.

Lots of places are on coasts (by most literal meanings) but don't have ports. Can you be on the coast but not coastal?

Old 12-07-2019, 03:22 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think that's not a measurement of "how coastal" a city is; it's merely a measurement of how busy its port is.

Basically, a coastal city has a port that can handle oceangoing ships, period. A city is either coastal or it isn't.

(Wait, that puts Washington, which has no such port, out of the running. Yet it's considered a coastal metropolis. My brain hurts.)
But if it had such a port, it could handle such vessels. I generally agree with your definition.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:12 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
The bayou flooding is the case only for areas west of downtown Houston - going east, the waterway is wide enough to accommodate volume without over spilling the banks. Many areas around 2nd Ward and East End Houston were even spared from Harvey's flooding.

As far as urban development is concerned, much of the Houston area is really just a clean slate. The city is a compact downtown with skyscrapers, some infilling nearby neighborhoods, then the rest of the area is roadways, suburban/strip complexes, and open land. Same goes for the suburban cities of "The Woodlands, Katy, and Sugar Land, except the "downtowns" are cute little "Town Centers."

Any water-centric Houston development will have to focus linearly east along Buffalo Bayou - current grid patterns extend as far east as Harrisburg outside 610, though ETJ extends all the way to Burnett Bay. Then, as you referenced, the slack then is picked up by some other Galveston Bay town, Seabrook, Kemah, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Outside of Galveston, homes on the water as i'm sure you know is asking to be flooded without getting much in return. I don't see Houston ever developing it's coast just because the Ship Channel/Refinery area was a swampy region historically, that made little sense even more so than down towards Galveston to Devolop it. Even then most of Houston was 20+ miles away from the bay. In the modern post 1960s Houston the only time the city could viably have developed the coast. But even then the city is simply to far and too physically small to support a multi-billion dollar new coastal city. Baytown and Galveston if they had gotten enough funding could maybe pull a Fort Lauderdale/Clearwater in 30 years, but sadly both of those places are still declining to some extent or are stuck in a rut. If Galveston does empty out and development from League City/Friendswood/Pearland/Missouri City spill more into Manvel/Alvin/Santa Fe Highway 6 corridor this could lead massive growth in Galveston as a new wealthier population South of Houston could possibly find Galveston as a mini-Houston that is closer than Downtown and spur tons of growth. Freeport as well is only growing in importance.

https://www.galvbaydata.org/www.galv...%20(small).jpg

But back to Advertising even with the misuse of coastal resources. LA is even closer has better Terrain and is a bigger city and still doesn't have skyscrapers on the coast (It very might in 20 years). Houston didn't really have a chance at best Galveston could have been a Santa Monica and still can be and if an area like League City can help develop it's surrounding towns like Bacliff and San Leon through spillover as it's much larger than those places we could possibly see some coastal development but I doubt it.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:53 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Cleveland I put because it is a fun and lively city, underrated.

St Louis, So many cool attractions and supposively its nighlife scene is very good and cheap. St. Louis has always interested e.

Greensboro, --> It is reallly gorgeous and fun too.

Worcester, MA ... so many new developments, up and coming foodie city, lots to do near and around.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:11 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
San Diego (the federal government) prioritized its port for shipbuilding and the military. As such, most sane people would concede that San Diego does not "fail miserably" in imports or utilizing its coastal location. The priority is being the homeport of the Pacific Fleet. It is what it is.

*chip on your shoulder*
You need to get a life.
If they had a basic understanding of California history they would probably agree with me.

San Pedro was the home port of the U.S. Navy Battle Fleet while it was beating out San Francisco as the busiest port on the west coast.

San Diego has a naturally occurring harbor, San Pedro is man made, giving San Diego an advantage right off the bat.

San Diego Port makes the news for what happens on cruise ships.

San Pedro Port makes the news for being responsible for %20 of all cargo inbound to the United States.

Maybe we need a poll to help us figure out who succeeded and who failed there.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:53 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
To glorify my city, here are numbers showing that Seattle is the dominant US cruise home port on the West Coast, rivaled only by Vancouver.

Seattle 2019: 213 calls, 1,208,590 passengers https://www.portseattle.org/sites/de...-FactSheet.pdf (We're adding a fourth berth / third terminal in a couple years, which could help these numbers jump.)

Vancouver 2019: 290 calls, 1,077,000 passengers https://www.portvancouver.com/news-a...-to-vancouver/

LA 2019: 120 calls, 620,000 passengers (I think this is the combined ports) https://www.ajot.com/premium/ajot-sa...ecords-in-2018

SF typical: 80 calls, 300,000 passengers https://sfport.com/cruise

SD 2019-2020 season: 92 calls, 300,000 passengers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_San_Diego

----

We're well below SD as a Navy center, but still pretty important with the Puget Sound Naval Shipyards, the Everett Home Port, the Bangor Trident submarine base, etc.

The Seattle-Tacoma cargo ports are way below LA, but we do ok there too.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:01 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
To glorify my city, here are numbers showing that Seattle is the dominant US cruise home port on the West Coast, rivaled only by Vancouver.

Seattle 2019: 213 calls, 1,208,590 passengers https://www.portseattle.org/sites/de...-FactSheet.pdf (We're adding a fourth berth / third terminal in a couple years, which could help these numbers jump.)

Vancouver 2019: 290 calls, 1,077,000 passengers https://www.portvancouver.com/news-a...-to-vancouver/

LA 2019: 120 calls, 620,000 passengers (I think this is the combined ports) https://www.ajot.com/premium/ajot-sa...ecords-in-2018

SF typical: 80 calls, 300,000 passengers https://sfport.com/cruise

SD 2019-2020 season: 92 calls, 300,000 passengers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_San_Diego

----

We're well below SD as a Navy center, but still pretty important with the Puget Sound Naval Shipyards, the Everett Home Port, the Bangor Trident submarine base, etc.

The Seattle-Tacoma cargo ports are way below LA, but we do ok there too.
Makes sense Alaska is probably the main destination for West Coast Cruises

Old 12-08-2019, 01:12 PM

112 posts, read 67,202 times
Wichita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City