Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago, Philadelphia, or Pittsburgh
Chicago 50 45.45%
Philadelphia 45 40.91%
Pittsburgh 15 13.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 09:04 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think that's a fair synopsis of each city. Philly's massive footprint of human-scaled buildings and narrow streets is one of its biggest assets.

(my pic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Of course its Chicago for me for built environment and Core.

A high-end neighborhood that even has some attached housing
During major snowstorm a few years ago. Since a Philly one was used....
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago, Philadelphia, or Pittsburgh?-chicago-north-shore-neighborhood-after-heavy  

Old 12-17-2019, 01:11 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
In Chicago, there is basically only Chicago. In Philadelphia, there is New York, Washington, Boston, and even Baltimore. All can be easily accessed by trains, planes, and buses. No cars required.
I understand all of this as I have access to maps.

It sounded an awful lot like the main reason to pick Philly is because its close to other places.

Also, I've heard Milwaukee is somewhere near Chicago.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

Milwaukee is an afterthought when compared to the 3 world-class cities within easy distance of Philadelphia.

Regardless, there are far better reasons to live in Philadelphia, regardless of it's proximity in the NEC.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Milwaukee is an afterthought when compared to the 3 world-class cities within easy distance of Philadelphia.

Regardless, there are far better reasons to live in Philadelphia, regardless of it's proximity in the NEC.
It seems that in every thread ..... this Philly near mighty NYC to DC and I assume Boston? Is as its HUGE virtue to CHOOSE PHILLY. Cities and metro's can stand alone too. Just for Chicago a further ride to some others..... but for Milwaukee. But I think Chicago stands well on its own. Despite its own issues. It looks great to visitors and built attractions to lure more very successfully. Its Core Shines too and plenty of top retail too. Its transit works well too to be car-free if desired and even unique in the Midwest.

Philly can too. Past threads used a hour to the Jersey Shore too. If Chicago is given credit for Lake Michigan beaches in the city and Core.

Pittsburgh seems to be left out but it has its merit too. The East Coast superiority is always a factor it seems. To be expected I guess vs even Chicago ...... merely in the doldrums of the Midwest.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:43 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I understand all of this as I have access to maps.

It sounded an awful lot like the main reason to pick Philly is because its close to other places.

It says a lot about a place when the main selling point is proximity to better cities.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:00 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Lol, so many haters. Philadelphia has most of what Chicago has to offer at an urban level (albeit smaller scale) PLUS it has a great location. It’s so great to live in a fantastic city plus easily travel to my friends/family in NYC/D.C. Plus the mountains, Amish Country, beach and so forth.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Lol, so many haters. Philadelphia has most of what Chicago has to offer at an urban level (albeit smaller scale) PLUS it has a great location. It’s so great to live in a fantastic city plus easily travel to my friends/family in NYC/D.C. Plus the mountains, Amish Country, beach and so forth.
Chicago has Amish country in Indiana and Wisconsin, even Ohio. Just not as close. Its great to love a cry you chose to live. I still love Chicago I lived for 6+years. Leaving had circumstances family related too and my failure to go further to school while there.

But both cities have their unique differences, vibe and look especially. Its hyped far too much that Chicago is as in the midge of nowhere. Yet it certainly is not just cornfields All around it.

I got to see much just in Wisconsin alone as its playground.

If it is the way Philly wins? Guess it is what it is. Living in the East 3-hours to NYC. Still has me rarely go. Philly I need to and Chicago again. But especially Chicago I want too. Been 3 or 4 years. I still feel home there too..... even more so then true home here in PA.

Good to see more Philadelphians. Posting more in none Philly forums. But hyping close to mighty NYC is hyped every time.... But I agreed Amish Country is a great area. One f my favorite in PA. I also don't see most as Philly haters posting. But they may not see it as their preference over other cities. Many reasons people might chose one over another. I know mine.....

I HATE this label of a HATER wayyyy overused. Also Philly is in the Top region of the Nation to choose Philly. I don't think it works for everyone.

But more major cities to choose. Also splits the pie more in choices. Seems that is forgotten too.

Last edited by DavePa; 12-17-2019 at 02:37 PM..

Old 12-17-2019, 02:30 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It says a lot about a place when the main selling point is proximity to better cities.
That's not what's being argued, however. There is a synergy to the Northeast Corridor urban agglomeration that's simply important to note. It adds an extra layer of appeal to Philadelphia's energy and "vibe."

As someone else noted, there's a hard-to-describe feel of being at the nexus of one of the most critical regions in the world economically, culturally and infrastructurally. It's dynamic and exciting.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:40 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

I HATE this label of a HATER wayyyy overused. Also Philly is in the Top region of the Nation to choose Philly. I don't think it works for everyone.
Okay, hater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City