Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago, Philadelphia, or Pittsburgh
Chicago 50 45.45%
Philadelphia 45 40.91%
Pittsburgh 15 13.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 05:09 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I find that pretty funny too. People are friendly or not. it happens in all areas, very urban, slightly urban, suburban, and country in varying degress. Green Tree is a suburb, I understand maybe thinking the city core people are not going to say Hi, but Green Tree isn't in the city so I don't get the point
Well, now that you mention it, on further reflection, maybe I ascribed too much of the difference to having crossed the state when the real difference was shifting from city to suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 06:31 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think for actual living, this doesn't matter unless you're working in a particular field of history or you're really into that type of history so much that you'll be going to sites and those types of museums all the time. I am really into history and even that would not be a factor for me, although I love some of the old architecture that Philadelphia has. It's a great city, but that would never be one of my personal factors for wanting to live there.

Yes, I think the proximity to other cities like NYC and DC is good for Philadelphia. Some nature too, but as far as nature goes, I find that many people in the US have no idea that there's good nature within day trip range of Chicago. Sure, maybe if you're talking about Iowa you'd be right, but not when you bring parts of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan into the picture.
Actually, I really do feel like it impacts my quality of life. There are so many different sites to visit not just in the city, but the metro at large. Living somewhere with such a significant history only adds to the shared sense of identity and culture here.

I have heard good things about Wisconsin, but for me nothing tops having a real mountain range, The Poconos, within an hour of the metro. Google Jim Thorpe. It is only an hour from Philadelphia and has fantastic hiking and stunning natural beauty. I make a point of getting there often.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:03 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Actually, I really do feel like it impacts my quality of life. There are so many different sites to visit not just in the city, but the metro at large. Living somewhere with such a significant history only adds to the shared sense of identity and culture here.

I have heard good things about Wisconsin, but for me nothing tops having a real mountain range, The Poconos, within an hour of the metro. Google Jim Thorpe. It is only an hour from Philadelphia and has fantastic hiking and stunning natural beauty. I make a point of getting there often.
Nothing against the Pocono or PA having mountainous topography thru most of it.

But living whether in the valleys, mountainsides or highest elevations. I would never miss in the winter especially. My commute has me going around and over them. Till I reach my hire elevation Industrial/office park. I'd never miss them.

More snow and ice also to travel on as you travel higher-up and lots of fog. I'd rather nice flat PA Dutch (German) regions thru the Southeast of the State.

Jim Thorpe is nice to walk its quaint shops and bars. But many points going west further thru the Central mountains add much more travel time and lacks more direct routs. Many go thru small cites instead more directly from me. Love Penn State U. area too.

Still doesn't take away from added Appalachia in PA Illinois doesn't have.
But ever heard of Galena Il? Kinda a Jim Thorpe type city. Wisconsin and Michigan offer much too. To Chicagoans.

Chicago has much on its contribution to 20th Century America especially. It merely lacks te much earlier Colonial era areas and area sights of battlefields of history.

Both cities are unique. Some prefer Philly's proximity to NYC to DC or Jersey Shore. But in the end ..... if living in the city. The nuances and differences make part of the choices too. Housing differs too. Not just because one is a older city.

Last edited by DavePa; 12-15-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-15-2019, 08:26 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You know I lime most of why you say. But much of Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch) Really German fertile farmland.... is flat as the Plains.

Ever drive between Lebanon and Hershey?
South-central PA has the highest concentration of flatter land in PA, but it's still, overall, much more "rolling" and arguably more lush than almost anything in the Midwest/Plains. It's classified topographically as Piedmont for a reason.

If anything, it's the relative dearth of trees/heavily agricultural landscape that may be more reminiscent of the Midwest as compared to the typical, forested landscape of the Northeast. But it's very apparent throughout Pennsylvania that you're in one of the hilliest/least flat states in the entire Union.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-15-2019 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-15-2019, 08:38 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
South-central PA has the highest concentration of flatter land in PA, but it's still, overall, much more "rolling" and arguably more lush than almost anything in the Midwest/Plains. It's classified topographically as Piedmont for a reason.

If anything, it's the relative dearth of trees/heavily agricultural landscape that may be more reminiscent of the Midwest than the typical landscape of the Northeast.
Agreed. Many of the people from the Midwest I have had come with me to visit the Pittsburgh area have comments immediately about how "green" it is. They had no idea that it was so lush. The topography allows for that, as development is not possible on every square inch of land like it is in other flatter areas.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:50 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I'm very well aware of Pennsylvania's lushness and topography. I've been many times - my mother went to grad school in Pennsylvania too. I prefer it more towards Pittsburgh.

I don't know how people are taking my comment is being taken as somehow day trip range of Chicago better than PA. I have to explain it out even though I never once stated this. Anyway, the upper midwest - specifically Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan have great nature all around and a big variety of it too.

THIS is in Michigan (yes, those are giant sand dunes)
https://www.visitglenarbor.com/wp-co...view-Image.jpg

And so is this:
https://cdn.suwalls.com/wallpapers/n...-2560x1440.jpg

I've been to nature areas in PA, VT, etc and I'm telling you they're more similar to some areas of the upper midwest in the states I mention than a lot of people realize.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:56 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Agreed. Many of the people from the Midwest I have had come with me to visit the Pittsburgh area have comments immediately about how "green" it is. They had no idea that it was so lush. The topography allows for that, as development is not possible on every square inch of land like it is in other flatter areas.
I dint think that has anything to do with it. Hillsides are just more likely to be undistirbed. Flatlands were usually clearcut as soon as 70 years ago.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I'm very well aware of Pennsylvania's lushness and topography. I've been many times - my mother went to grad school in Pennsylvania too. I prefer it more towards Pittsburgh.

I don't know how people are taking my comment is being taken as somehow day trip range of Chicago better than PA. I have to explain it out even though I never once stated this. Anyway, the upper midwest - specifically Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan have great nature all around and a big variety of it too.

THIS is in Michigan (yes, those are giant sand dunes)
https://www.visitglenarbor.com/wp-co...view-Image.jpg

And so is this:
https://cdn.suwalls.com/wallpapers/n...-2560x1440.jpg

I've been to nature areas in PA, VT, etc and I'm telling you they're more similar to some areas of the upper midwest in the states I mention than a lot of people realize.
I agree that there are parts of the Upper Midwest, specifically Michigan and Wisconsin, that are quite beautiful and very unique. I think people who live in the North East are missing out by ignoring areas like Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc. That being said, I will say that those areas that would give someone living in Pennsylvania a dose of nature that makes them feel at home are a pretty hefty commute from many areas (Chicago, for example). Take it from a home grown Pennsylvanian who has lived in Chicago for nearly the past 10 years. I have taken many many trips to WI & MI to get a dose of nature that makes me feel like I'm back in the rolling hills/lush mountains of Pennsylvania, but from Chicago I have to commit to a solid 3-4 hour drive. The thing about much of Pennsylvania is that nature surrounds you in a way that doesn't quite happen in a lot of areas of the country.

I'm moving back to Pittsburgh from Chicago mostly due to family, and it is bittersweet leaving Chicago, a city I love. One thing I AM really happy about though is getting back to the natural setting of Southwestern PA and the proximity to rolling mountains. In Chicago, I would need to drive many hours to get to an area like the Porcupine mountains that even slightly resembles Pennsylvania's terrain. I do agree though, the lakeshore in that area of MI/WI is stunning and a true asset to the upper midwest.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:11 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I agree that there are parts of the Upper Midwest, specifically Michigan and Wisconsin, that are quite beautiful and very unique. I think people who live in the North East are missing out by ignoring areas like Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc.
Agree. Unfortunately, a lot of people believe the entire midwest is a bunch of flatlands. There is some pretty interesting topography and excellent nature in many areas. I live in the NE now but grew up in Minnesota. 75% of the people I grew up with were huge outdoors people who were always outside no matter what season. Minnesota is not known as the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" for no reason. And while there's no rocky mountains, it's not a flat place either. This describes parts of Wisconsin and Michigan too.

People are unfortunately missing out on some great nature because of their stereotypes of the middle of the country. A lot of the US has some great landscapes really all over the place.

Quote:
That being said, I will say that those areas that would give someone living in Pennsylvania a dose of nature that makes them feel at home are a pretty hefty commute from many areas (Chicago, for example). Take it from a home grown Pennsylvanian who has lived in Chicago for nearly the past 10 years. I have taken many many trips to WI & MI to get a dose of nature that makes me feel like I'm back in the rolling hills/lush mountains of Pennsylvania, but from Chicago I have to commit to a solid 3-4 hour drive. The thing about much of Pennsylvania is that nature surrounds you in a way that doesn't quite happen in a lot of areas of the country.
I totally agree - which is why I never stated in any of my posts that it's within Chicagoland. I stated that it's within a day trip range of Chicago, which it is. Or you easily take a 3 or 4 hour drive, and stay a weekend at a cabin. I never once stated it's within an hour drive. However, if you're willing to commit to 2+ hour drive, you can find some great nature.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
People are unfortunately missing out on some great nature because of their stereotypes of the middle of the country. A lot of the US has some great landscapes really all over the place.

100% agree. In fact, this goes for Western PA too. Many people don't think "outdoors access" when they think of Pittsburgh, though they should. Travel Lemming (London) lists world destinations that are currently a bit "low key" with a partial goal of spreading out tourism to move away from "over tourism" in the worlds super popular destinations. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania was voted into this list of 30 world destinations this year, so I think recognition is beginning to blossom for the area.
https://travellemming.com/2020-emerg...ination-awards

The Highlands used to be a destination for me every week in the summer and fall for years while I was living near Pittsburgh. When I was working shifts and had the occasional weekday off, I would make the hour drive to Ohiopyle early in the morning and spend the day mountain biking, cycling, kayaking, whatever, then drive back home by dusk. Of course I had options to do that much closer to home, but there's something special about the Laurel Highlands.

Areas in the upper peninsula, the west coast of Michigan, and Northwoods of Wisconsin could easily make this list as well. I almost want these places to remain a nicely kept secret though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City