Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago, Philadelphia, or Pittsburgh
Chicago 50 45.45%
Philadelphia 45 40.91%
Pittsburgh 15 13.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 05:46 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Philadelphia but no one that I know has anything good to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 10:32 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

Yeah, I have never heard anyone want to "throw Pittsburgh into the Midwest." In fact I really enjoyed my visit to Pittsburgh and am so happy to have it as the state's second city. Its cultural institutions are incredibly impressive for a city its size. It can remain a Northeastern city with Appalachian and "Rust Belt" influences.
I'm a native Midwesterner.

When I helped a friend move from Philadelphia to Green Tree (on the other side of the Fort Pitt Tunnel from the Golden Triangle) a few years back, I went out to get a coffee the morning after we arrived in Green Tree.

The groundskeeper at the municipal complex, who was mowing the lawn at that hour, called out "Hello" to me as I walked past headed towards the Starbucks.

Sorry, but that doesn't strike me as typically Northeastern behavior. It does strike me as pretty Midwestern.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:36 PM

716 posts, read 765,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

When I helped a friend move from Philadelphia to Green Tree (on the other side of the Fort Pitt Tunnel from the Golden Triangle) a few years back, I went out to get a coffee the morning after we arrived in Green Tree.

The groundskeeper at the municipal complex, who was mowing the lawn at that hour, called out "Hello" to me as I walked past headed towards the Starbucks.

Sorry, but that doesn't strike me as typically Northeastern behavior. It does strike me as pretty Midwestern.
Well case closed, everyone. Send the jury home. Somebody in the suburbs said hi to this guy so Pittsburgh is in the Midwest.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:54 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:

This post is hilarious.

I guess if that guy had screamed some kind of profanity with a "not for nothin, but" thrown in for good measure he could have saved Pittsburgh from a midwest designation.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm not saying it can. I'm saying that certain parts of the midwest have a lot more nice nature than people realize. Partially because people write off the midwest as only cornfields and "fly over country."

I've lived in the part of the midwest with cornfields, the part of the midwest with better nature, and I live right now in the northeast. I stand by my comment. The majority of people in this country are truly clueless about the landscapes of the midwest/upper midwest. Vermont, for example, reminds me a LOT of certain parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin. The entire NE fall color thing can be found in many places in the midwest and it looks similar. When I tell it to friends and co-workers here in NYC who are from the northeast, they're shocked. They truly think the upper midwest is a bunch of corn fields only.
(emphasis added)

One of those places is the Missouri River valley to the northwest of Kansas City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I lived in KC for over a year, so I know it’s more than cornfields.

But you are extolling the nature in Chicagoland when it is clearly a couple of tiers below the sheer diversity of natural beauty to be found an hour or two from Philly. I would just stick to highlighting Chicago’s urbanity, as that is where the city stands out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No - I'm extolling the areas outside of Chicagoland that are reachable by day trip. You misunderstood me even though I stated it very clearly the first time. There's a big difference in that. I never once stated that the nature within Chicagoland is great. I literally never said that.

Also, within a few hour drive Kansas City is not a part of the midwest I would ever use to show the nature of the Midwest. But that's just me.
Before I back Pine to Vine up here, let me note that I think one can find beauty even in the "featureless" environment of the "flatlands."

The photo below I took at a railroad crossing in west-central Illinois when a friend of mine and I drove from Chicago to Kansas City, roughly following the so-called "CKC Expressway" (IL/MO 110):

10649887_10101608929334511_7135672308844999319_n by Sandy Smith, on Flickr

You don't get scenes like this anywhere east of the Appalachians.

It's not that flat immediately around Kansas City, at least not until you head southwest from the city.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This post is hilarious.

I guess if that guy had screamed some kind of profanity with a "not for nothin, but" thrown in for good measure he could have saved Pittsburgh from a midwest designation.
Actually, the response I would expect in the Northeast is silence.

Nor do I consider Midwesternness something to be "saved" from. The knock I hear from some Easterners on the Midwest is that the friendliness is superficial and the friendships not as deep. I don't think either is the case.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:06 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
. The knock I hear from some Easterners on the Midwest is that the friendliness is superficial and the friendships not as deep.
I lived in Columbus. Whoever told you this was on to something.

Knowing lots of people but not really having any friends was a hallmark of life there. Not surprising in places where you're supposed to gravitate towards suburbia in order to conform to social norms.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:26 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
(emphasis added)

One of those places is the Missouri River valley to the northwest of Kansas City.

Before I back Pine to Vine up here, let me note that I think one can find beauty even in the "featureless" environment of the "flatlands."

The photo below I took at a railroad crossing in west-central Illinois when a friend of mine and I drove from Chicago to Kansas City, roughly following the so-called "CKC Expressway" (IL/MO 110):

10649887_10101608929334511_7135672308844999319_n by Sandy Smith, on Flickr

You don't get scenes like this anywhere east of the Appalachians.

It's not that flat immediately around Kansas City, at least not until you head southwest from the city.
You know I lime most of why you say. But much of Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch) Really German fertile farmland.... is flat as the Plains.

Ever drive between Lebanon and Hershey?

Hershey

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2752...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2751...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2748...7i13312!8i6656

Palmyra

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2770...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2771...7i13312!8i6656

Annville

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2806...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2811...7i13312!8i6656

Old 12-14-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You know I lime most of why you say. But much of Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch) Really German fertile farmland.... is flat as the Plains.

Ever drive between Lebanon and Hershey?
I've driven on US 222, which connects Reading and Lancaster; US 322 between Reading and Hershey; and PA 283, the freeway connecting Harrisburg and Lancaster.

The landscape along PA 283 especially reminds me of home. US 322 ditto.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:32 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This post is hilarious.

I find that pretty funny too. People are friendly or not. it happens in all areas, very urban, slightly urban, suburban, and country in varying degress. Green Tree is a suburb, I understand maybe thinking the city core people are not going to say Hi, but Green Tree isn't in the city so I don't get the point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City