Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 03:54 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseBlue View Post
Both cities actually have different minimum wages from the state. Portland being $12.50 and Seattle $15.75 to $16.39 depending on employer size.

I've been to both cities and am pretty familiar with their differences and have things I find preferrable about both of them. The two things I'm most interested in finding out about them is which is easier for a low wage worker to live in when you look at COL, wages and tax differences between the two, and which has superior public transportation.
Good point about the minimum wage being different in the cities - somehow that slipped my mind.

Portland’s system is basically a really high-quality, comprehensive streetcar/light rail hybrid network in the downtown area (MAX really is more like a streetcar/light rail hybrid downtown so I’m including that plus the actual streetcar routes in this network). It really feels like a complex series of circulators cutting through the center of the urban core. Outside of the downtown area the MAX becomes more of a traditional Western-style commuter-oriented light rail system. The bus network is pretty good but not great. A lot of the cool neighborhoods outside of the downtown area are not served by rail or very frequent transit. In general, if you’re using MAX to travel a significant distance and/or get through downtown it’s major slog since it’s virtually entire at-grade.

Seattle is still in the early stages of developing more of a classic mini-metro style light rail system that is largely underground or elevated. It lacks the at-grade rail circulators you have in Downtown Portland but it does have several rail subway stations through the heart of the city with a second tunnel planned. Seattle’s rail system is faster and more reliable than Portland’s and it will hit a number of neighborhood centers outside of the downtown core as it expands. That said, it’s harder to get around within the urban core by translt in Seattle. Seattle’s bus system is significantly bette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 06:48 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Portland. Seattle isn't SF but it's pretty expensive, Portland is probably the most affordable city in the Pacific, but it isnt exactly cheap either.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
The Seattle area is begging for low wage workers, with "help wanted" signs all over. Even east of Seattle where the State minimum wage is just $12/hour fast food and gas stations are offering $17. Unfortunately, the reason for so many openings is that $17/hour is not enough to live on without multiple roommates.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:00 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Even dual income earners in the tech industry sweat when moving to Seattle.

A place like Chicago would be a much better fit for you since you didn't like the Sunbelt. In Chicago, you don't need a car in most parts of the city and it's cheap enough to survive on $15/hr. The economy is also more diverse and there are more options in the rental and housing market in Chicago.

You can't come to a city like Seattle (where a ho-hum middle class SFH goes for over a million bucks and where most homes in the city are SFHs) with no real plan and no marketable skills, or you'll just be another homeless statistic.

I don't know why Seattle and Portland especially seem to draw people like the OP. No job, no skills, but wants to live in a central area of a major coastal metro area where he doesn't need a car. Please wake up to reality.

Last edited by Guineas; 01-24-2020 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-24-2020, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 5,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
You can't come to a city like Seattle (where a ho-hum middle class SFH goes for over a million bucks and where most homes in the city are SFHs) with no real plan and no marketable skills, or you'll just be another homeless statistic.

I don't know why Seattle and Portland especially seem to draw people like the OP. No job, no skills, but wants to live in a central area of a major coastal metro area where he doesn't need a car. Please wake up to reality.
Considering I've lived in a much more expensive city than Portland or Seattle I think I'll be fine. If you don't have anything to add the topic of Seattle vs Portland for low wage workers, just don't say anything. Do you think the people working in service industries in expensive cities are homeless??? Dual income earners in the tech industry are going to have very different lifestyle expectations than me. They'll be worried about the cost because they'll expect to live in a luxury apartment or be a property owner.

Last edited by SiameseBlue; 01-24-2020 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The Seattle area is begging for low wage workers, with "help wanted" signs all over. Even east of Seattle where the State minimum wage is just $12/hour fast food and gas stations are offering $17. Unfortunately, the reason for so many openings is that $17/hour is not enough to live on without multiple roommates.
If I was to choose Seattle I'd be looking for a 1 bedroom apt in the $1400-1600 range (that would be shared). Do you know how many of these jobs are part-time versus full-time?

Old 01-24-2020, 12:49 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Good point about the minimum wage being different in the cities - somehow that slipped my mind.

Portland’s system is basically a really high-quality, comprehensive streetcar/light rail hybrid network in the downtown area (MAX really is more like a streetcar/light rail hybrid downtown so I’m including that plus the actual streetcar routes in this network). It really feels like a complex series of circulators cutting through the center of the urban core. Outside of the downtown area the MAX becomes more of a traditional Western-style commuter-oriented light rail system. The bus network is pretty good but not great. A lot of the cool neighborhoods outside of the downtown area are not served by rail or very frequent transit. In general, if you’re using MAX to travel a significant distance and/or get through downtown it’s major slog since it’s virtually entire at-grade.

Seattle is still in the early stages of developing more of a classic mini-metro style light rail system that is largely underground or elevated. It lacks the at-grade rail circulators you have in Downtown Portland but it does have several rail subway stations through the heart of the city with a second tunnel planned. Seattle’s rail system is faster and more reliable than Portland’s and it will hit a number of neighborhood centers outside of the downtown core as it expands. That said, it’s harder to get around within the urban core by translt in Seattle. Seattle’s bus system is significantly bette
Just to finish my thought here - it is worth noting that Seattle's bus system is significantly better than Portland's and as the light rail begins to expand in the coming years it's rail system will be much better for getting around the city overall than Portland. That said - as I mentioned Portland's MAX/streetcar combo in the downtown area is convenient for relatively short distance trips and transit mobility within that immediate core area is better than Seattle's equivalent. (Although that may change once Seattle opens the Center City Connector in 2025).

Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
If I was to choose Seattle I'd be looking for a 1 bedroom apt in the $1400-1600 range (that would be shared). Do you know how many of these jobs are part-time versus full-time?
That is possible but difficult, most 1 bedroom apts are going to be closer to $1,900. As for the jobs, no, I wouldn't know, but probably a mix. Some are advertising "FT/PT" so both are available.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:32 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Considering I've lived in a much more expensive city than Portland or Seattle I think I'll be fine. If you don't have anything to add the topic of Seattle vs Portland for low wage workers, just don't say anything. Do you think the people working in service industries in expensive cities are homeless??? Dual income earners in the tech industry are going to have very different lifestyle expectations than me. They'll be worried about the cost because they'll expect to live in a luxury apartment or be a property owner.
I wouldnt be so quick to brushing off his comment. Not trying to be a prick but do you REALLY want to move to a metro where the CoL is only adjusted for high earners of which will be ever increasing from now until the everforseable future making a low wage comparison? I mean dont get me wrong you may have made it in a more expensive metro (only places I can think of are Boston, NYC and SF that top Seattle by a considerable amount) but do you really want to live somewhere where your salary will restrict you to just getting by? Just saying, your industry wont provide you a hospitable future in Seattle and there is no relief in sight while there are also more hospitable places for that. Portland will be a bit better but... I'm just being honest. I'm in tech and make six figures and although I love Seattle I personally hesitate upon moving back to that region because i am quite happy to have reserve funds.

Its great to live in Seattle but your future, retirement and so forth are also important.

Quote:
Closer to $1,600 and it will be in the suburbs such as Bothell, Everett, Renton, Federal Way.

It isnt really my right or duty to stop you but I'm just saying that living at your means with no reserve is not going to be fun, even in Seattle. Also, Landlords have the right to increase the rent within the duration of your lease given 30 days notice with no clause to break the lease on behalf of the tenant, so a $1,600 unit may increase beyond your reason and ability to pay before the duration of the lease expires.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-24-2020 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 PM

Need4Camaro I don't take offense to your warning, having lived in SF and the East Bay I'm aware living in either city will come with its challenges. I just didn't appreciate him saying you'll end up homeless if you even try. I'm not too concerned about retirement savings, my plans are much more short term. The idea is to live and work full time in either city for a year or two and then finish school at PSU or UW Tacoma. There seems to be a decent amount of apartments east of downtown and i5 for under $1600 on Apartments.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City