Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more Southern influence?
Baltimore 83 84.69%
Chicago 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 10:02 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

I said I wasn’t going to post his videos but I found one that I could post to show the Chicago accent I’ve heard mostly. He is exactly how my cousins and his friends talk.

https://youtu.be/0YrzjjdXk50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 11:10 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Ok, but that doesn’t explain your comment, “the worst is Bryant Gumble.”

Any Bryant Gumble still has less of a southern twang than any of these you’ve listed.
I explained why he was a bad example 4 times already. You're clearly not reading all of the posts in this thread.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 PM

5,001 posts, read 9,147,545 times
As far as black accents I would say Chicago.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:12 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Baltimore definitely has more Southern nuances. Neither city is what I would consider Southern in the modern sense. Baltimore to me is very similar to St. Louis in a lot of ways. A border city with Southern nuances, but functions way more like a Northern city in 2020. Chicago has Southern culture in it's Afro-American community (there was also a large influx of Southern Whites to Chicago that many do not know about), but overall Chicago is just a huge, diverse city with many different cultural influences.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:36 PM

233 posts, read 344,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Baltimore definitely has more Southern nuances. Neither city is what I would consider Southern in the modern sense. Baltimore to me is very similar to St. Louis in a lot of ways. A border city with Southern nuances, but functions way more like a Northern city in 2020. Chicago has Southern culture in it's Afro-American community (there was also a large influx of Southern Whites to Chicago that many do not know about), but overall Chicago is just a huge, diverse city with many different cultural influences.
What Southern nuances does Baltimore have?

Old 06-27-2020, 03:48 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
St Louis is a much better city to compare Baltimore to, in regards to this question. And my opinion there would be St Louis feels much more southern, and Baltimore feels more northeastern.

Outside of history, I just don't see these "southern" characteristics in and even around Baltimore. The south as I see it, begins south of Richmond, but even then the "south" that tends to be characteristically southern, IMO begins in North Carolina.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:34 PM

233 posts, read 344,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
St Louis is a much better city to compare Baltimore to, in regards to this question. And my opinion there would be St Louis feels much more southern, and Baltimore feels more northeastern.

Outside of history, I just don't see these "southern" characteristics in and even around Baltimore. The south as I see it, begins south of Richmond, but even then the "south" that tends to be characteristically southern, IMO begins in North Carolina.
Precisely. People are very vague about how Baltimore is southern today. I think their claim is mostly based on the history of slavery and the high black population, along with the physical proximity to Virginia. I would love to be proven wrong here, btw.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:45 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Precisely. People are very vague about how Baltimore is southern today. I think their claim is mostly based on the history of slavery and the high black population, along with the physical proximity to Virginia. I would love to be proven wrong here, btw.
The high black population is due to white flight after 1950. Aside from that, Baltimore's culture hasn't changed much. Baltimore is southern, just not traditional southern like many southern cities. That just speaks to the diversity of the South. Baltimore, Miami, DC, West Texas, New Orleans. We have mountains, desert, tropical..etc

The South has largest variety of cities in the country without question. We have it all.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:49 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Yeah, the only argument I hear is the whole "Mason-Dixon" line thing, which has gotten extremely outdated. To my knowledge, people in Maryland and in Baltimore don't say "y'all", don't drink sweet tea, don't refer to soft drinks as "Coke", don't on average listen to country music, are not particularly conservative, not on average Anglo-Saxon, I could honestly go on.

Baltimore itself is much more a peer to Philadelphia than Atlanta or Nashville.

Baltimore also appears to be a Catholic dominant city too:

...and is NOT a member of the Bible Belt:

And as has been discussed on this thread ad-nauseam, even the black accent doesn't sound all that southern (sounds very different from deep southern, that's for sure).

So yeah, if Baltimore is southern, it's strictly because of a historic technicality of its location, that is largely irrelevant today. In almost no ways can I point to it being characteristically/culturally southern.

Last edited by CCrest182; 06-27-2020 at 11:06 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 09:16 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Default Southern Aspects of Baltimore

• A good number of people in Baltimore say y'all.
  • Sweet Tea is made in some local mom and pop places. I
  • 'Id also say that most of the population is Anglo-Saxon or Black. Maybe German. Immigrants are less than 10% of the population-reminiscent of more southern cities than northeastern. Meager Dominican and Puerto Rican populations
  • Noticeable Appalachian-descended population/history
  • It's quite hot in the summer and very muggy.
  • Although known for being a high school basketball hotbed, the populace loves football ('crabcakes and football!') and college sports are noticeably more popular here in Baltimore and Maryland than in points north.
  • Low COL for a major city
  • There are also many white conservatives and Trump support here. Its far more common to meet open white conservatives and Trump supporters here than in CT or MA...I just saw a trump bumper sticker in Baltimore yesterday. I can honestly say I never saw not a one in Boston or adjacent burbs But go out of largely black SW Baltimore, only about 4 minutes into Halethorpe/Arbutus and you'll see a huge 'TRUMP' banner out on someone's lawn...This make sense Maryland because is only 50% white but went for Trump just as much if not even more than NJ CT or MA in 2016, that's because white people in the area really are that much more conservative than the far north.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-28-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City