Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 02:37 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,238,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It could happen.......But then there's still the possibility of higher cost of living driving people (and development) "down the street" to nearby San Antonio before it happens. So my guess is "who knows".
Not a chance. San Antonio has a heavy military presence. Military towns and skyscrapers don't mix. to much risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 02:49 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,426,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Thought there were height restrictions?
I think Dallas may have FAA-mandated height restrictions because of Love Field.

It's unclear what, if any, FAA restrictions exist for Austin. Beyond that the only restrictions downtown are the Capital View Corridors, which the lots I mentioned avoid. (Hence why they are very likely to go big).

Old 12-21-2020, 02:55 PM

9,711 posts, read 9,466,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Right now Austin has 22 buildings under construction or built over 400', Dallas has 34. But 21 of Austin's 22 have been built since 2000, compared to just 7 in Dallas. Do you think Austin could surpass Dallas for 400' buildings in the next 20 years?
Yes, and it will happen in the next 10 years. Austin's skyline will be the top skyline for sure.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:03 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,374,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Not a chance. San Antonio has a heavy military presence. Military towns and skyscrapers don't mix. to much risk.
There are US cities with a military presence and a decent sized skyline, but I honestly wasn't thinking about San Antonio gaining skyscrapers. I see San Antonio as potentially taking residents as the cost to live in Austin rises. Some of the growth forecasts for Austin next decade are already a lower percentage than last decade's growth. Cost of living is a huge factor when it comes to relocations. Let's not forget that not long ago, Vegas seemed to be unstoppable. Denver was flying high too and then slowed recently. Seattle was a little sleepy and then picked up. I'd be a rich man if I could accurately predict the development of a US city 20 years out.

Austin could very well be the next southern city to break the 5 million metro mark. Or it could be the next city to fizzle-out at 3 million. It's hard to know.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
There are US cities with a military presence and a decent sized skyline, but I honestly wasn't thinking about San Antonio gaining skyscrapers. I see San Antonio as potentially taking residents as the cost to live in Austin rises. Some of the growth forecasts for Austin next decade are already a lower percentage than last decade's growth. Cost of living is a huge factor when it comes to relocations. Let's not forget that not long ago, Vegas seemed to be unstoppable. Denver was flying high too and then slowed recently. Seattle was a little sleepy and then picked up. I'd be a rich man if I could accurately predict the development of a US city 20 years out.

Austin could very well be the next southern city to break the 5 million metro mark. Or it could be the next city to fizzle-out at 3 million. It's hard to know.
I don't think Austin's downtown construction and metro population growth are necessarily all that linked. Of the housing being added in Austin to support the growing population, very, very little of it is made up of 400'+ downtown buildings.

What is driving it is:
- Demand for urban, walk/transit friendly lifestyle in Austin. There are only a few areas of Austin that are zoned appropriately for this, downtown being one of them. This is probably escalating, if anything, as tech workers pour in from more urban places like SF, Seattle, and NYC.
- Demand for downtown office space. This could slow after the pandemic, but then again, maybe not.
- Demand for hotel space in Austin as tourism, convention, and business traffic grows. I doubt this goes anywhere once the pandemic is resolved.

The point being, even if rising cost of living causes the overall metro population growth to slow down, the densification of downtown is likely to continue. What would be more concerning is if economic growth slows down, and in that case the cost of living isn't going to be an issue.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:46 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,837,390 times
Quote:
It could happen.......But then there's still the possibility of higher cost of living driving people (and development) "down the street" to nearby San Antonio before it happens. So my guess is "who knows".
Some of the burbs in between the two have already been growing rapidly too

Old 12-21-2020, 04:21 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,374,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I don't think Austin's downtown construction and metro population growth are necessarily all that linked.
The densification of a downtown can definitely occur without massive metro area growth. I just remember reading an Austin Business Journal article which mentioned Memphis, Oklahoma City, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin as having the highest apartment vacancies in the Nation. This doesn't necessarily mean that Austin is due for a slow down, but it could mean that other cities with lower vacancies (such as Dallas) are overdue for a boom.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:37 PM

9,986 posts, read 6,692,081 times
If they move forward with it, Walnut Creek in Austin will be the first 300m building in Texas outside of Houston. Also the second 1000ft+ building after JP Morgan Chass Tower in Houston. And may even surpass it (exact numbers for the buildings height aren’t certain yet). Dallas had a similar project but it got canceled.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The densification of a downtown can definitely occur without massive metro area growth. I just remember reading an Austin Business Journal article which mentioned Memphis, Oklahoma City, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin as having the highest apartment vacancies in the Nation. This doesn't necessarily mean that Austin is due for a slow down, but it could mean that other cities with lower vacancies (such as Dallas) are overdue for a boom.
1. If true, that's probably because Austin is building insane amounts of apartments.
2. I don't think that city-wide apartment vacancy rates say much about the downtown market. Again, very, very little of the housing being built in Austin is in downtown skyscrapers. That is a niche market that is pretty much completely independent from large apartment complexes in the Lakeline area, for example. If you had stats showing that downtown condos weren't selling, that would be a different story.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:31 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,131,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I just saw this video showing Austin skyline changes from 2000-2019: https://youtu.be/UWOuKMLLH6w
This is a cool video, thanks for sharing!

In a sense, the growth of the skyline since 2000 is impressive compared to previous 20 year periods. But compared to other cities, it's a lot less impressive than I expected. Also, the skyline is sorta mediocre looking--is it just me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City