Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 06:12 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
tons people are out in Arlington for the Saturday pre-game thing frequently particularly in Clarendon/Virginia Square and Ballston. A lot of yuppies come out from DC to the restaurateurs out there. It’s pretty packed as someone who gave thousands of Uber rides out there I’ve just found this statement to be pretty untrue. But you lived there so I’ll give you the BOD. You need a reason to go anywhere btw. People from DC are often if not always visiting friend and family in PG and MoCk and I also took many people from DC Silver Spring and Chevy Chase/Bethesda. People slide out of DC to Oxon Hill and Crystal City with frequency too. That whole area was very fluid compare to what I’m used to.

Virginia is boring IMO- totally agree, I try to avoid it: I get that and the distance to Clinton is real (went to a chiropractor out there) but it really doesn’t take that long off-peak and people still make those trips.

But you’re more likely to see people from Southeast hop down to the Iverson Mall real quick or onto the Marlboro Pike or something.
Yeah lots of people hit Wilson Ave on weekends. Or Old Towns as it's quaint, historic, quiet, and personal. I think it's best he says that most people in the city proper don't leave the beltway most times unless visiting friends, going shopping at Tyson's, or whatever. I can kind of see what he's saying. You need a good reason to leave the city if you live inside of DC. I can count on one hand how many times I stepped foot in VA or MD so far this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 10:28 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The cities that get their own guide need to have enough restaurants to fill the pages so to speak. That may be why they went with a California guide and now with a Florida guide.
Nah, those guides were sponsored by the state tourism boards.
https://la.eater.com/2019/3/12/18261...-travel-update
https://miami.eater.com/2021/11/1/22...do-restaurants

That said, they're meant to cover large areas - most of the European editions are for entire countries - since the original intent was to encourage diners to drive far out of their way and put many, many miles on their Michelin tires.

BTW, I can vouch for MarketStEl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
People saying Michelin is "Western"-biased - Tokyo has by far the most Michelin-starred restaurants in the world
True, but there is a definite formula with regard to service, presentation, and execution which is unusually shared by both French and Japanese restaurants - but that doesn't make it universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The top 100 independent restaurants in the US by gross sales 2019:
https://www.fsdbco.com/top-100-indep...taurants-2019/
Biggest surprise for me from this list: Frankenmuth, Mich., pop 5000, has two restaurants which served nearly a million diners each in 2019.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:43 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

That said, they're meant to cover large areas - most of the European editions are for entire countries - since the original intent was to encourage diners to drive far out of their way and put many, many miles on their Michelin tires.

BTW, I can vouch for MarketStEl!

True, but there is a definite formula with regard to service, presentation, and execution which is unusually shared by both French and Japanese restaurants - but that doesn't make it universal.

Biggest surprise for me from this list: Frankenmuth, Mich., pop 5000, has two restaurants which served nearly a million diners each in 2019.
Thanks for that information. I didn't know that. Also, that's good to know about MarketStEl.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:06 AM

120 posts, read 107,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

It should be noted that SF already had a Michelin guide, and what the tourism board accomplished was the return of Michelin to LA as well as the guide's expansion to cover the entire state. As if the NYS tourism board, say, lobbied to expand the current NYC guide to Buffalo, et al.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:41 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Yup. San Francisco had it's own guide and it only had Bay Area restaurants. The rest of the state was added last year.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:23 PM

365 posts, read 230,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
I'm one of those city dwellers who leave the city sometimes but infrequently. It's more so for weekend day trips versus trying out a specific restaurant. Granted I grew up in the suburbs of MD so I don't feel a type of way leaving the city.

Tbh, NoVA ain't that bad. I'm always impressed by the speed of restaurants and cultural amenities in constant development.

But it definitely is a bit too sanitized for my liking, too corporate/passive, and lacks a real identity or better yet character versus either MD or DC.
So you think Bethesda has more character than Arlington? I'm sorry, but I think it's silly for folks from the DC MSA part of Maryland to somehow act like there's so much more character there than NOVA. Both are mostly generic suburbia and there really isn't that big of a difference.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
So you think Bethesda has more character than Arlington? I'm sorry, but I think it's silly for folks from the DC MSA part of Maryland to somehow act like there's so much more character there than NOVA. Both are mostly generic suburbia and there really isn't that big of a difference.
They're different. It's four layers here within 45 miles or so. NOVA, District proper, Maryland suburbs surrounding DC, and then on to Baltimore MSA. Each have their own layers to them and noticeable differences. But that's a conversation for another thread.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:17 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Thanks for that information. I didn't know that. Also, that's good to know about MarketStEl.
paytonc and I know each other from when he lived in Philly.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:19 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
You all seem determined to talk your way around Old Town Alexandria.

Bethesda is the most urbane of the DC suburbs, true, and Silver Spring nips at its heels, but there's nothing like Old Town Alexandria anywhere else in the DMV — or if there is, I haven't run across it yet.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:32 PM

71 posts, read 45,533 times
Is Chicago going to get any stars added?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City