Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 02:44 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I feel like the only people who do not leave Manhattan are either very new to the city (a few years) or old time boomers. The best food in NYC is in Brooklyn and Queens.
Agreed, but to be fair, the thread is comparing Michelin rated restaurants by each city. Brooklyn has 2, and Queens has 0. The majority of the Michelin rated restaurants are in Manhattan.

Side note: The best breakfast sandwich I ever had though, was at a cafe/bodega in Bed-Stuy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 02:53 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, I can't speak for San Francico, but I do know from personal experience that people that live in DC proper and NYC proper rarely leave the city unless they absolutely have to.
NYC absolutely. But DC??

Old 03-01-2022, 03:36 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllStar
Well, I can't speak for San Francico, but I do know from personal experience that people that live in DC proper and NYC proper rarely leave the city unless they absolutely have to.
Well, with respect to restaurants, the Bay Area at large has absolutely incredible, world class restaurants, thus the area has 23 Michelin-starred restaurants outside of SF proper, including the most famous fine dining restaurant in the entire state, The French Laundry, which many city people frequent.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:54 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Absolutely it's a block away from the White House, and a staple of Washington. It also had over 1 million meals served that year if you peeped the right column, by far the most in the nation.
Oh I wasn’t denying that part. It’s just that the food is….. ok.it’s the same food as Clyde’s lol

Old 03-01-2022, 03:55 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I feel like the only people who do not leave Manhattan are either very new to the city (a few years) or old time boomers. The best food in NYC is in Brooklyn and Queens.
Agreed. Plus many of the people new to the city move straight to the outer boroughs whether they're transplants or immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Agreed, but to be fair, the thread is comparing Michelin rated restaurants by each city. Brooklyn has 2, and Queens has 0. The majority of the Michelin rated restaurants are in Manhattan.

Side note: The best breakfast sandwich I ever had though, was at a cafe/bodega in Bed-Stuy.
I think that was in response to a previous statement about people in NYC never leaving Manhattan rather than the specific case of leaving Manhattan for a Michelin star restaurant. In previous years, Queens has also had Michelin star restaurants and likely will again. That being said, the feast is everywhere, and it's all in all five boroughs and many of the suburbs. I do think that it makes sense for Michelin to expand outside of just NYC and Westchester (and Westchester was a very recent addition, possibly this year).

Anyhow, eating in NYC and its suburbs is probably at or around the top of the list for why I live here and moved from comfy positions elsewhere. The city and its suburbs are an endless buffet with more new good eateries coming out each year than I have meals or the stomach for. I love trying these places both fancy, celebrated sitdowns and streetcart or truck vendors. The variety is absolutely amazing. My main wish is that the baseline produce and meat quality were higher, but that's really a federal regulatory level kind of thing. Also, more greenhouses in and around the area would be great. I also love going to grocery stores in different neighborhoods and seeing and getting the vast variety of goods. Even stuff like canned soups from different parts of the world is pretty fun, and I've recently been getting into South Asian instant ramen. It's also been great meeting a lot of people and going to their homes and seeing how their kitchens are arranged and how meals progress among different peoples. It's also great, pre-pandemic but gearing back up, that there was such a variety difference in different mealtimes with not just regular mealtimes but late night eateries, really, really late night eateries, and the changing of the guard to really, really early breakfast eateries. Just writing about it right now has got me *pumped* about living here!

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-01-2022 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-01-2022, 04:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NYC absolutely. But DC??
People that I know need to have a reason to go out to Maryland or Virginia. Unless you work out there, what reason do you have to visit? Nobody is going there to party or eat. If I'm in Maryland, it's to see a few friends that live there and they always hear the complaints from those coming from DC asking why they live out there. Everyone complains about the distance to get there when going to Largo, Fort Washington, or gasp...Clinton and Waldorf etc.

As for Virginia, that's almost common knowledge and a running joke all over social media. Even Virginia people will tell you people in DC make jokes about them living out there. Have you ever seen the "washingtonprobs" instagram page? Virginia gets dragged on there pretty bad in the comment section by both DC and Maryland residents.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:33 PM

409 posts, read 333,658 times
Which cities do you think will add the most new restaurants to their guide this year?

- NYC
- SF
- DC
- Miami

These are really the only cities I can think of off the top of my head thus far.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:34 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People that I know need to have a reason to go out to Maryland or Virginia. Unless you work out there, what reason do you have to visit? Nobody is going there to party or eat. If I'm in Maryland, it's to see a few friends that live there and they always hear the complaints from those coming from DC asking why they live out there. Everyone complains about the distance to get there when going to Largo, Fort Washington, or gasp...Clinton and Waldorf etc.

As for Virginia, that's almost common knowledge and a running joke all over social media. Even Virginia people will tell you people in DC make jokes about them living out there. Have you ever seen the "washingtonprobs" instagram page? Virginia gets dragged on there pretty bad in the comment section by both DC and Maryland residents.
tons people are out in Arlington for the Saturday pre-game thing frequently particularly in Clarendon/Virginia Square and Ballston. A lot of yuppies come out from DC to the restaurateurs out there. It’s pretty packed as someone who gave thousands of Uber rides out there I’ve just found this statement to be pretty untrue. But you lived there so I’ll give you the BOD. You need a reason to go anywhere btw. People from DC are often if not always visiting friend and family in PG and MoCk and I also took many people from DC Silver Spring and Chevy Chase/Bethesda. People slide out of DC to Oxon Hill and Crystal City with frequency too. That whole area was very fluid compare to what I’m used to.

Virginia is boring IMO- totally agree, I try to avoid it: I get that and the distance to Clinton is real (went to a chiropractor out there) but it really doesn’t take that long off-peak and people still make those trips.

But you’re more likely to see people from Southeast hop down to the Iverson Mall real quick or onto the Marlboro Pike or something.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:58 PM

409 posts, read 333,658 times
Quote:
tons people are out in Arlington for the Saturday pre-game thing frequently particularly in Clarendon/Virginia Square and Ballston. A lot of yuppies come out from DC to the restaurateurs out there. It’s pretty packed as someone who gave thousands of Uber rides out there I’ve just found this statement to be pretty untrue. But you lived there so I’ll give you the BOD. You need a reason to go anywhere btw. People from DC are often if not always visiting friend and family in PG and MoCk and I also took many people from DC Silver Spring and Chevy Chase/Bethesda. People slide out of DC to Oxon Hill and Crystal City with frequency too. That whole area was very fluid compare to what I’m used to.

Virginia is boring IMO- totally agree, I try to avoid it: I get that and the distance to Clinton is real (went to a chiropractor out there) but it really doesn’t take that long off-peak and people still make those trips.

But you’re more likely to see people from Southeast hop down to the Iverson Mall real quick or onto the Marlboro Pike or something.
I'm one of those city dwellers who leave the city sometimes but infrequently. It's more so for weekend day trips versus trying out a specific restaurant. Granted I grew up in the suburbs of MD so I don't feel a type of way leaving the city.

Tbh, NoVA ain't that bad. I'm always impressed by the speed of restaurants and cultural amenities in constant development.

But it definitely is a bit too sanitized for my liking, too corporate/passive, and lacks a real identity or better yet character versus either MD or DC.

Last edited by MDfinest; 03-01-2022 at 05:08 PM..

Old 03-01-2022, 06:10 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:

Again, you need a reason meaning a good one. To put this into perspective, people come to DC for entertainment or restaurants without a disclaimer or explanation. They will say I’m going into the “city” just like people in Brooklyn say I’m going into the “city” meaning Manhattan. I’m sure there are people that say “I don’t feel like going into the city” and they may not like crowded bustling vibrant places. I think the difference for all these cities is the built environment and entertainment/restaurant options in the city compared to the surrounding suburbs. That even goes for Brooklyn compared to Manhattan. Maybe people feel the suburbs are a couple steps down from the city so they question the need to go out there.

To your point about SE meaning east of the river (Ward 7 and 8) DC, there is definitely a lot of cross border interaction with Prince George’s county. That’s for two reasons. The first is a lot of former Black DC residents now live in Prince George’s county. The second is the lack of amenities in Ward 7 and Ward 8. Fortunately, as you know, massive development is finally coming east of the river to Ward 7 and 8 and it will be interesting to see how that changes commuting patterns for restaurants, shopping, and entertainment. Right now, people living east of the river in Ward 7 and Ward 8 have to cross the river into the urban core of the city or go to Prince George’s county for shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. It will be interesting to see if the new amenities impact the cross border travel from the DC side. I predict more people will travel from Prince George’s county into Ward 7 and Ward 8 instead of crossing into the urban core of the city. I guess we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City