Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 10:18 PM

365 posts, read 229,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Have you eaten at any of the Michelin starred restaurants in DC? If you have not, how do you know they shouldn’t qualify? Also, if you’re questioning DC’s Michelin starred restaurants, then you will have to question every single Michelin starred restaurant in the world.
I'm not saying DC isn't a good restaurant town - I've eaten at a lot of restaurants in DC and it has some great places. 22 seems excessive, though. And - objectively speaking - Las Vegas has far more highly-rated fine dining restaurants than DC and it's not close. So why doesn't Michelin cover Las Vegas if their focus is fine dining?

Last edited by PolarSeltzer; 02-28-2022 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 12:28 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
I'm not saying DC isn't a good restaurant town - I've eaten at a lot of restaurants in DC and it has some great places. 22 seems excessive, though. And - objectively speaking - Las Vegas has far more highly-rated fine dining restaurants than DC and it's not close. So why doesn't Michelin cover Las Vegas if their focus is fine dining?
Not all fine dining is all that great or Michelin worthy though. I've eaten at Tao in Las Vegas and Manhattan. The food was straight, but I wouldn't quite say it's worthy of a Michelin star.

DC is a dense urban city with lots of diversity, and international influences for it's restaurants. There's actually often times DC chefs open up restaurants in Vegas and vice versa. That 22 number is just the District itself too, not even the total core area, or entire region's metro.

Two Las Vegas restaurants announced DC expansions within the last 6 months:

Hell's Kitchen first East Coast outpost to open in DC this fall:

https://dc.eater.com/2022/2/10/22927...ng-attractions

Fish and Chips to open in DC:

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...wntown-dc.html

DC's most notable chef Jose Andres, has restaurants both there and Las Vegas.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-01-2022 at 12:42 AM..

Old 03-01-2022, 05:30 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Have you eaten at any of the 22 restaurants?

Old 03-01-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The top 100 independent restaurants in the US by gross sales 2019:

https://www.fsdbco.com/top-100-indep...taurants-2019/

Old 03-01-2022, 08:11 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Amazes me how Joe’s Stone Crab is/was #1 considering their signature item, Stone Crab, is not available for sale 5 months out of the year.

Is Tao no longer considered independent?….in the past they held the #1 or 2 spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Old 03-01-2022, 09:10 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is that your way of saying you've never lived in NYC? I'm not sure that was very clearly communicated. I was in NYC last Halloween as well--and I've been here for a lot of Halloweens and have been mostly in NYC since that last Halloween since I live here.

It is certainly possible that there are different patterns for different demographics. I am not a black professional and having black friends doesn't mean I can speak to what black professionals generally do. Now that you mention it, for whatever reason, some of these spots I've gone out to don't seem to have sizable black professional components to them and I wonder what the historic context is to that and that is pretty interesting to me. Though if I had to guess, and this is a real wild one, it may have something to do if not contemporarily, then at least historically, with racism. I recognize that NYC is very, very populous and very, very diverse and there are people that can have very different experiences of the same city. I've stated as such, and I think a blanket statement about people in NYC "unless they absolutely have to" not going out to the Hamptons, Catskills, Hudson Valley, Poconos, Jersey Shore, etc. isn't going to be very accurate characterization for such a diverse and large population.

Remember, I pointed to the Bay Area Michelin Guide as an example of there being coverage of a metropolitan area that includes suburbs including some very suburban places. That's what I'm comparing to. It doesn't mean that it's about people living in the city leaving work for a 7 pm dinner an hour and a half away in the suburbs for dinner at any great frequency. That's certainly not how that works in the Bay Area either. I am saying that since it exists for the Bay Area, then it'd be great if it existed for NYC. That goes especially for me, because we pretty frequently leave the city proper.
I feel like the only people who do not leave Manhattan are either very new to the city (a few years) or old time boomers. The best food in NYC is in Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Amazes me how Joe’s Stone Crab is/was #1 considering their signature item, Stone Crab, is not available for sale 5 months out of the year.

Is Tao no longer considered independent?….in the past they held the #1 or 2 spot.
Not sure why exactly, but Lavo is also part of the Tao hospitality group and appears twice on the list.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:55 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Old Ebbitt Grill the highest gross in DC? Yikes. Also no way is Carmine's average ticket only $37 lol. The one in DC is expensive as it is.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:27 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Old Ebbitt Grill the highest gross in DC? Yikes. Also no way is Carmine's average ticket only $37 lol. The one in DC is expensive as it is.
I find it interesting that the one Philadelphia-area restaurant in the top 100 is a branch of a DC-based restaurant (Founding Farmers) located in King of Prussia.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Absolutely it's a block away from the White House, and a staple of Washington. It also had over 1 million meals served that year if you peeped the right column, by far the most in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City