Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 10:26 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
All fair points. I think people in NYC don’t leave the city due to necessity to your point about cost etc. People that choose not to leave DC do so more from a dislike for the suburbs outside of the mall like you mentioned. Eating at suburban restaurants is a different animal though. I will say that eating out is more a social experience in 2022 than it was in 2012 from my experience. Going to restaurants is so different now than what I remember 10 years ago.
It's not either/or. You don't have to make a choice between Rose's Luxury and the $20 Chinese joint in Arlington. You can do both. Most people, I think, want balance, and don't want to eat at a trendy restaurant every single time they go out. Trendy restaurants are cool. But so are Pho spots with the plastic cups. They have their own charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 10:34 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not either/or. You don't have to make a choice between Rose's Luxury and the $20 Chinese joint in Arlington. You can do both. Most people, I think, want balance, and don't want to eat at a trendy restaurant every single time they go out. Trendy restaurants are cool. But so are Pho spots with the plastic cups. They have their own charm.
True, and we’re probably missing out on a lot of really good places. I never said they weren’t good. They are all highly rated spots for ethnic cuisine. I think my social circle just has certain requirements. I honestly can’t even imagine someone I know planning a dinner and the chosen spot serves Pho with plastic cups unless it was a joke. Going to a spot like that after a night out at 3 am, sure although we would go for pizza to suck up the alcohol lol. I prefer day parties now though on the rare occasion I’m going out. It’s usually someone’s bday.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:39 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
California's 2023 Guide just came out-----biggest news imo: San Diego's Addison became the 7th California restaurant to earn 3 Michelin Stars! Kudos.

Also, Sacramento scored it's 2nd Michelin starred restaurant and the Central Coast is booming!

CALIFORNIA MICHELIN STAR RESTAURANTS 2023: 89

THREE STARS***: 7

Bay Area: 6
Atelier Crenn, San Francisco
Benu, San Francisco
Manresa, Los Gatos
Quince, San Francisco
Single Thread, Healdsburg
The French Laundry, Yountville

San Diego Area: 1
Addison, San Diego

TWO STARS**: 12 restaurants

Acquarello, San Francisco
Birdsong, San Francisco
Californios, San Francisco
Commis, Oakland
Lazy Bear, San Francisco
Saison, San Francisco

North Coast: 1
Harbor House, Elk

Los Angeles Area: 5
Hayato, Los Angeles
Melisse, Santa Monica
n/naka, Los Angeles
Providence, Hollywood
Sushi Ginza Onodera, West Hollywood

ONE STAR*: 70 restaurants

Bay Area: 34
Adega, San Jose
Angler SF, San Francisco
Avery, San Francisco
Auberge du Soleil, Rutheford
Barndiva, Healdsburg
Chez TJ, Mountain View
Cyrus, Geyserville
Gary Danko, San Francisco
Kenzo, Napa
Le Comptoir at Bar Crenn
Madcap, San Anselmo
Marlena, San Francisco
Mister Jiu's San Francisco
Niku Steakhouse, San Francisco
Nisei, San Francisco
O' by Claude Le Tohic, San Francisco
Omakase, San Francisco
Osito, San Francisco
Plumed Horse, Saratoga
Press, St Helena
Protege, Palo Alto
San Ho Wan, San Francisco
Selby's, Atherton
Sons & Daughters, San Francisco
Sorrel, San Francisco
Spruce, San Francisco
Ssal, San Francisco
State Bird Provisions, San Francisco
Sushi Shin, Redwood City
Sushi Yoshizumi, San Francisco
The Progress, San Francisco
The Shota, San Francisco
The Village Pub, Woodside
Wakuriya, San Mateo

Sacramento Area: 2
Localis, Sacramento
The Kitchen, Sacramento

Central Coast: 6
Aubergine, Carmel-by-the-Sea
Bell's, Los Alamos
Caruso's, Montecito
Six Test Kitchen, Paso Robles
Sushi by Scratch Restaurants: Montecito, Santa Barbara
The Restaurant at JUSTIN, Paso Robles

Los Angeles Area: 24
715, Los Angeles
Camphor, Los Angeles
Citrine, Santa Monica
Gucci Osteria da Massimo Bottura, Beverly Hills
Gwen, Los Angeles
Hana re, Costa Mesa
Hatchet Hall, Los Angeles
Kali, Los Angeles
Kato, Los Angeles
Knife Pleat, Costa Mesa
Manzke, Los Angeles
Maude, Beverly Hills
Morihiro, Los Angeles
Orsa & Winston, Los Angeles
Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles
Nozawa Bar, Beverly Hills
Phenakite, Los Angeles
Q Sushi, Los Angeles
Pasta l Bar, Encino
Shibumi, Los Angeles
Shin Sushi, Encino
Sushi I-Naba, Torrance
Sushi Kaneyoshi, Los Angeles
Taco Maria, Costa Mesa

San Diego Area: 3
Jeune et Jolie, Carlsbad
Soichi, San Diego
Sushi Tadokoro, San Diego

Here's a new category that is awarded their own stars...
GREEN STARS*: 11 restaurants
The Michelin Green Star is an annual award that spotlights restaurants at the forefront of the industry when it comes to their sustainable practices.

Atelier Crenn, San Francisco
Chez Panisse, Berkeley
Le Comptoir at Bar Crenn
Quince, San Francisco
Single Thread, Healdsburg
The French Laundry, Yountville

North Coast: 1
Harbor House, Elk

Central Coast: 2
Caruso's, Montecito
The Restaurant at Justin, Paso Robles

Los Angeles Area:
Chi Spacca, Los Angeles
Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles

Old 12-06-2022, 07:24 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Since we're updating for 2022, you can see the selections here (I've preloaded the link for New York):

https://guide.michelin.com/en/us/new...-star-michelin

You can see that the guide only covers the states/state level entities of New York, California, DC, Florida, and Illinois, and then within those, it's the major metropolitan areas with varying degrees of spread within the metropolitan area. For NYC, they cover only one bit of Westchester County. The question then is that are why aren't they covering beyond the city proper for NYC (and Chicago and DC) the way they are for the Miami, the Bay Area and Los Angeles. My feeling is that there are several high quality fine dining restaurants in the NYC metropolitan area that should be contenders that simply are not covered, and on the New Jersey and LI side a lot of should-be bib gourmands.

Anyhow, it's 73 Michelin-starred restaurants for New York which is the highest number of such. It's five 3-star restaurants remain the same:

THREE ***'s: 5
Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare-New York
Per Se-New York
Masa-New York
Le Bernadin-New York
Eleven Madison Park-New York

TWO **'s: 13
Al Coro (new)
Aquavit
Aska
Atera
Atomix
Blue Hill at Stone Barns
Daniel
Gabriel Kreuther
Jean-Georges
Jungsik
Momofuku Ko
The Modern
Saga (new)

ONE *: 55
63 Clinton (new)
Batard
Family Meal at Blue Hill
Casa Enrique
Casa Mono
Caviar Russe
Claro
Clover Hill (new)
Contra
Cote
Crown Shy
Dirt Candy (new)
Don Angie
Estela
Four Horseman
Francie
Frevo (new)
Gramercy Tavern
Hirohisa
Icca (new)
Jeju Noodle Bar
Joomak Banjum (new)
Jua
Kanoyama
Kochi
Kosaka
L’Abeille (new)
Le Coucou
Le Jardinier
Le Pavillon
Mari (new)
The Musket Room
Noda
Noz 17 (new)
Odo
Oiji Mi (new)
One White Street (new)
Oxalis
Oxomoco
Red Paper Clip (new)
Rezdora
The River Cafe
Semma (new)
Shion 69 Leonard Street (new)
Sushi Amane
Sushi Ginza Onodera
Sushi Nakazawa
Sushi Noz
Sushi Yasuda
Tempura Matsui
Torien (new)
Tsukimi
Tuome
Vestry
Yoshino (new)

Old 12-06-2022, 07:47 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Most restaurants on these lists these days are just gimmicky places chasing the latest fads. How many of those restaurants actually still have a real menu with a la carte ordering rather than a 'cheat' tasting menu. I say cheat because a restaurant that makes your choice what to eat for you is basically more interested in critics' accolades than having satisfied customers.

They also avoid one of the key traditional tests of a great restaurant - the ability to cook a wide range of things at a high level consistently.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:52 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Most restaurants on these lists these days are just gimmicky places chasing the latest fads. How many of those restaurants actually still have a real menu with a la carte ordering rather than a 'cheat' tasting menu. I say cheat because a restaurant that makes your choice what to eat for you is basically more interested in critics' accolades than having satisfied customers.

They also avoid one of the key traditional tests of a great restaurant - the ability to cook a wide range of things at a high level consistently.
That's certainly one interpretation of fine dining, though I think that last part of it is way off especially given the wide variety of cuisines and preferences out there. If they're stocking ingredients that have wide of a variety, then they need to have incredibly high throughput the likes of which pretty much no restaurant has especially a fine dining restaurant. Otherwise there then sitting on less fresh ingredients which is part of why a lot of higher tier restaurants do tasting menus as they are essentially cooking a wide variety of things at a high level consistently but instead of having it all on the menu, they're taking what's the best ingredients available at the time and making something tasty with them consistently. I do think though that when a dish is especially well-received at one of these fine dining places that there'd be another R&D arm that essentially takes that and tries to figure it out for mass production and then those go into a different restaurant or chain of restaurants at a much lower per unit price.

I also know that NYC list encompasses a really wide range of menus and dining styles and often have a la carte and the day's specials rather than swinging exclusively towards tasting menus (or omakase) though that exists as well.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:54 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Haters gonna hate?

Glad to see there is some consistency/credibility with Michelin; my last meals at NYC Peter Luger and Carbone were subpar and both since lost their one star—deservedly so.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ea-peter-luger

Old 12-06-2022, 08:30 AM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
The Michelin list is nice for people who are looking for a place to eat when they are in a particular city.

As a means of comparing which cities are the best food cities, its worthless. Michelin only ranks restaurants in very specific cities making comparisons impossible.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:54 AM

1,374 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The Michelin list is nice for people who are looking for a place to eat when they are in a particular city.

As a means of comparing which cities are the best food cities, its worthless. Michelin only ranks restaurants in very specific cities making comparisons impossible.
Yeah Michelin is only reviewing restaurants in a few select cities and my friend who manages a high-end restaurant (with a 2 month reservation list) says Michelin didn't add their restaurant simply because they didn't bend over backwards for them when they came to review the restaurant.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:06 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

For that reason, I wonder why Michelin is such a prestigious ranking. There’s more universally distributed food raters out there (even Forbes for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City